Your least favorite EU novel?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Your least favorite EU novel?
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I was wondering, what do you guys think is the worst of the Expanded Universe novels that you personally have read? There's so many out there, and I always wondered what people thought were just bad additions to the saga?

Personally, I think Spinter of the Mind's Eye was pretty bad. Read that going in with high expectations and my opinion of the book got progressively worse as it went along. Alan Dean Foster is a good writer but some of the plot points were just really out of wack, though there were some good ideas mixed in there. Started off great, only to really start disappointing me around 3/4s of the way in.

Any of you guys have books you feel isn't worth the paper it's print on?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

SME was written as a low budget sequle if the movie STAR WARS was a flop. Its not a novel, but I HATE TCW.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight are both extremely tedious to read.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Planet of Twilight. I had to force myself through it.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The Crystal Star

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

Least fav novel....
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I wasn't thrilled with the Swarm Wars trilogy. Found it boring. Oh and the Death Star novel, reminded me of the show "Cheers" but in space.

Your Uncle Kal
Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have to say that I've got a few that top my most dreadful Star Wars books list, but the entire LOTF series holds a special place in my roll of dishonor. Out of LOTF I think Revelation is the absolute worst. The only reason I don't cite Invincible as the worst is because Denning immediately started retconning the Mandos out of their Traviss Gary Stu-dom state, turning them back into real Mandos.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

EU books that I dislike:

1. The Crystal Star
2. Planet of Twilight
3. Jedi Twilight

(What's with the word 'twilight'? Confused )

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

The most boring SW book iv rea so far has probably been SME. It seems like its a common unfavorite.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote  

The first SWEU book I read that I didn't like was The Han Solo Adventures by Brian Daley. I was on a real Star Wars kick downing one book after the next but when I started that one it was like a train wreck. I screeched to a halt and lost the desire to read on.

Course I slugged through and moved on to better books.

The odd thing about Legacy of the Force is that it seemed alright when I was reading them book-to-book. It was afterwards that I decided that I didn't like the series. Reading the whole thing, stepping back and taking it all in, it just wasn't a good series.

The Imperial Commando novel also killed my joy of the Republic Commando series. Reading that one made me dislike Traviss as an author.

But all time worse SWEU novel: The Force Unleashed.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Darth Skuldren wrote:

The Imperial Commando novel also killed my joy of the Republic Commando series. Reading that one made me dislike Traviss as an author.

I'm with you on that. I liked the RC books up until Order 66 and Imperial Commando.

And the Dark Nest Trilogy was pretty unbearable.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

Last edited by Queen Padmè Skywalker on Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Swarm War and Legacy of the Force completely killed my interest in Star Wars following the NJO series.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Darth Skuldren wrote:
The first SWEU book I read that I didn't like was The Han Solo Adventures by Brian Daley. I was on a real Star Wars kick downing one book after the next but when I started that one it was like a train wreck. I screeched to a halt and lost the desire to read on.

Interesting, seems like most people have the same opinion of a few books here in this thread (Haven't read Planet of Twilight or the LOTF books, or Swarm Wars so I don't have an opinion on them, looks like I'll be sure to avoid them Wink), though I must say I THOROUGHLY enjoyed the 3 Han Solo Adventure books by Brian Daley. Short and sweet, chock full of action! But that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight are both extremely tedious to read.

How can it be that a lot of folks here hate/dislike these two books (I kinda liked them myself) but nobody mentions the horror that is Darksaber! Shocked Talk about tedious to read.
That being said, I only ever really disliked Kevin J. Anderson's work. There are some other stories that have elements I don't like, but KJA's stories are poorly written, ill concieved and too childish if you ask me.
Other those that I hated the Crystal Star. What bugs me the most there is that EVERYONE is out of character in that novel. Add to that the Waru monster and you have one heck of an annoying book.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Kevin J. Anderson's books read like they're written for teenagers, but they aren't so boring that you have to will yourself to read through them like Hambly's books are. I think KJA and Karpyshyn are pretty similar in prose style.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 12