Book Club
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Book Club
 PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I was wondering what happened to the book club? Slash why don't we bring it back? Did it work well in the past? There is just a couple of good books coming out in the next few months and wanted to get everyones opinion on it.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I would love to be a part of a boom club if you are looking to bring it back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote  

The hardest part is always picking a book. Can you do a book club for new releases, like say the upcoming Annihilation? Would probably be easier to get people involved in new releases.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Given the uncertainty that now exists with future novels -- plus I think the time between releases is too long -- you could go chronologically, either by publication or through the in-universe timeline, starting at a particular juncture. If I had to choose, I'd go with the flagship through line of following the adventures of Han, Luke, and Leia. But even that presents the choice of whether to start following Episode IV or Episode VI.

I'm definitely interested in doing a book club type deal if other people are, as I was considering doing a solo blog about more esoteric selections of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, and not limited to simply novels, but also short fiction, comics, radio dramas, and video games. I don't know that this would be conducive toward a book club format, as my collection is eclectic compared to most fans, and I doubt that many people have old copies of Star Wars Adventure Journal or the Dark Forces Saga radio drama.

When I was going to do a podcast with my friend that discussed the novels, we were going to start with Vector Prime and go through the New Jedi Order series in order 1-19, and then jump around afterward.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I would love to do a book club.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm tempted to do a read-through of the following books/comics:

"Restraint"
Jedi Council: Acts of War
Darth Maul: Saboteur
Cloak of Deception
Darth Maul miniseries
Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
"End Game"
Darth Plagueis

It's the material surrounding Episode I that really fleshes it out, and reading all those stories will probably make a lot more sense of the references in Darth Plagueis for those unfamiliar. "Restraint" and Darth Maul: Saboteur are collected in the 2012 reprinting of Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, "End Game" is collected in the 2012 reprinting of The Phantom Menace novelization, and Jedi Council: Acts of War and the Darth Maul comic miniseries are collected in the Rise of the Sith omnibus.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote  

I don't honestly remember why the Book Club section of the forums was closed. In addition to Skul's good point I'd say the other thing you guys would need is to have some sort of "Vice President" of the book club who can take the reigns in the event that life prevents the primary organizer from being very active in a given month. Or at least some agreed upon way you'll keep things going that doesn't have the whole thing hinging on one person.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm curious what people think about the reading list above. When it comes to SW continuity, you have to read multimedia to get the full picture, and I think short fiction and comic arcs and miniseries break up the monotony. The most rewarding part of SW continuity IMO is the ability to take a bulk of proximate multimedia stories and see how they all tie together.

Or after that list, Rogue Planet could be next, and used as a jumping off point for the NJO.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
I'm curious what people think about the reading list above. When it comes to SW continuity, you have to read multimedia to get the full picture, and I think short fiction and comic arcs and miniseries break up the monotony. The most rewarding part of SW continuity IMO is the ability to take a bulk of proximate multimedia stories and see how they all tie together.

Or after that list, Rogue Planet could be next, and used as a jumping off point for the NJO.

I think it's a good list, but I wouldn't skip right to Rogue Planet. Might as well do TPM in some manner. The novel and the comic, at least. Maybe throw on the Episode I Adventures comics (the ones in Omnibus: Emissaries and Assassins). For a full exploration, do the Episode I young reader book too.

I did a book club type thing for Episode II a while back, reviewing the movie, novel, young reader book, comic, video game, and related materials, and it was really cool. You see some plot elements that are skipped over in some sources, but expanded in others.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I mentioned Rogue Planet as an example of a jumping off point for NJO, but you could certainly do stuff like Emissaries to Malastare, Outlander, and the Ep I novelization (which you would need for End Game anyhow).

Instead of going to NJO you could do Jedi Quest, Outbound Flight, Open Seasons, and The Approaching Storm. There's a lot of ways you can go.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Since I'm new here I don't really know how the old book club operated so could anyone explain to me how the book club would work? Is there a certain time we will get together on the forums to talk about the books?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

PadawanSparkles wrote:
Since I'm new here I don't really know how the old book club operated so could anyone explain to me how the book club would work? Is there a certain time we will get together on the forums to talk about the books?

AFAIK, it was out of operation when I started posting almost three years ago, so I have no clue. I figure I'm just going to start reading the stuff and posting my thoughts and hopefully other people join in!

It will be interesting to read "Restraint" because I have never read it. It's a shame that Lockdown won't be out until next year, as that would fit in this book list nicely.

Edit: So I did some research, for my above list, you only need five books:

Star Wars Omnibus: Rise of the Sith (Jedi Council: Acts of War, Darth Maul miniseries)
MSRP: $24.99, @ Amazon $21.68, Kindle $12.31

Episode I: The Phantom Menace (includes "End Game")
MSRP: $7.99, @ Amazon $7.19, Kindle $7.99

Darth Maul, Shadow Hunter (includes Darth Maul: Saboteur, "Restraint")

Darth Plagueis

Cloak of Deception

Not sure if libraries carry omnibuses, but I'm sure a lot of libraries would have the other books, although they may not carry the more recent printing of Episode I: The Phantom Menace or Darth Maul, Shadow Hunter which contain the two new Luceno short stories.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote  

PadawanSparkles wrote:

Given the diverse locations of our membership we'd probably set an agreed upon date (or dates) in which to talk about the books in a thread devoted to either that book or the book club in general.

While we do have our chatbox instant messaging on the home page of the forums that wouldn't be ideal since, unlike a thread, eventually with enough messages the earlier ones would get erased making it difficult for someone late to the party to see how a conversation got started. That being said if you guys wanted to get permission to use the chat box for such purposes there's no harm in asking the admins if it'd be ok.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Perhaps set a weekend or certain period of time for discussion in a thread, before moving onto the next story?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote  

I like Salaris' suggestion. Does anyone want to be V.P. of the book club? (thus in charge of selecting which books will be read and organizing the discussion)

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 6