Book Club
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:50 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I see the positive to both sides, something short like Thrawn Tril. Might be a better starting point. I'm sure though there are some of us have read it so many times, we can thumb threw it and be "caught up." Making it an easy re-start to the book club. But something like the NJO or a Sith read (Bane, Dark Lord,Plaguis,Maul) would just produce deeper "why?" Questions. Ehhh IDK either way I need a good excuse to dive back into the EU, this whole Legends thing has left me lost with EU fandom...

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

papinacho wrote:
I'd love to participate but I just read the Thrawn Trilogy. Nobody up for Shadows of the Empire? Or maybe Splinter of the Mind's Eye? Allegience? Scoundrels?

We could try one of those too. Would you be really averse to reading the Thrawn Trilogy again so soon? If so, I'm sure we could switch.

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
I can't promise I could keep up (I'm a slow reader these days), but I would love to do a reread of the Thrawn trilogy.

I've always been a slow reader. We can take it slow.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Slow all the way! With work/life it's the only reading pace I do!

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I think a lot of us can relate. I have a lot of spare time right now because its summer, but come September that will no longer be the case.

How about we start with a standalone and then move on to the Thrawn Trilogy if all goes well?

Papinacho suggested Shadows of the Empire, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Allegiance, or Scoundrels. Personally, I'd second Splinter of the Mind's Eye and I'd vote against Scoundrels. If you have any other ideas, feel free to post them.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
^ I think a lot of us can relate. I have a lot of spare time right now because its summer, but come September that will no longer be the case.

How about we start with a standalone and then move on to the Thrawn Trilogy if all goes well?

Papinacho suggested Shadows of the Empire, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Allegiance, or Scoundrels. Personally, I'd second Splinter of the Mind's Eye and I'd vote against Scoundrels. If you have any other ideas, feel free to post them.

You know, I think I'd like to participate this year. I want to re-read some of my books. But people are right that the NJO is a huge commitment.

I would second Shadows of the Empire. Splinter isn't great, in my honest opinion, but I'd be up for it if that's the general consensus.

The benefit to both of them is that there are other adaptations of the stories that might be interesting to touch upon (though not deeply analyze like the book, just be all "hey, that's a cool way to see it").

I've not read Scoundrels, and while Allegiance isn't bad, it doesn't meet the definition of a standalone (which, admittedly, wasn't a prerequisite when it was suggested lol).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote  

I've never read Splinter of the Mind's Eye but I have a copy of the book. IF we settle on that, I'm on board.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've never read Splinter of the Mind's Eye so I can't comment on its quality, but I thought it would be an interesting book to discuss because of its status as the first EU book written. Which leads me to a question... is Splinter of the Mind's Eye canon (i.e. "Legends" canon)? I was under the impression that it wasn't, but I'm not seeing anything on the Wook saying that it isn't canon.

Either way, it would also be a good segue into the Thrawn Trilogy, the second, third, and fourth EU books written.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I've never read Splinter of the Mind's Eye so I can't comment on its quality, but I thought it would be an interesting book to discuss because of its status as the first EU book written. Which leads me to a question... is Splinter of the Mind's Eye canon (i.e. "Legends" canon)? I was under the impression that it wasn't, but I'm not seeing anything on the Wook saying that it isn't canon.

Either way, it would also be a good segue into the Thrawn Trilogy, the second, third, and fourth EU books written.

It's as Legends-Canon as anything else. It fits fine with other stuff. That year is largely unexplored by the EU (2 ABY has much fewer stories in it than 0 ABY or 1 ABY.)

Frankly, if it's largely unread, then I withdraw my previous comment. I'd support Splinter.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Reepicheep wrote:

Well the second and third and fourth book written are actually the Daley Solo novels if I am not mistaken, but we don't have to strictly stick to that order. Additionally the Thrawn Trilogy relaunched the EU so there really wont be many references.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Dangit! I forgot about those. *hands over geek cred card*

Sounds like we're more or less settled on Splinter of the Mind's Eye. What I'm thinking is we can alternate between a week of reading and a week of discussion. Maybe something like this:

Week 1: Chapters 1-3
Week 2: Discussion
Week 3: Chapters 4-6
Week 4: Discussion
Week 5: Chapters 7-9
Week 6: Discussion
Week 7: Chapters 10-12
Week 8: Discussion

What do you think? Should there be more chapters per week? Less? Is a whole week too long for discussion? Too short? Let me know.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I could be down with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I think it's a great start! We can always adjust if something else works better. I'm excited to read Splinter again. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Your plan sounds good, Reep.

Regarding the Daley books: I don't think we need to do a deep, thorough read-through of all EU books in order. I think that Splinter of the Mind's Eye is first and unique and special for that reason, and does deserve some analysis. Then we should skip to other things, like the Thrawn Trilogy (special also for being the first modern true EU stories). Then from there, whatever tickles our fancy. Some books are important for what happens in them in the EU, while others are important for their real-life historical context (like Splinter, Thrawn, Shadows of the Empire, Vector Prime, etc.)

I might also recommend that our club also tackle occasionally graphic novels? Not often, since the medium isn't quite so ubiquitous. But I do see value in the next thing we read after The Thrawn Trilogy to be the Dark Empire Trilogy. Thoughts?

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sweet. We can start Week 1 on Saturday, just to make it easy to remember.

@Taral: I'd be cool with reading Dark Empire. I've never read it, and there are those rumours that Episode VII is drawing on elements from Dark Empire...

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Week 1 has begun!

I put the new thread in the Literature and Media forum for now:

http://www.eucantina.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2026

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 5 of 6