Looking Into Comics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Looking Into Comics
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I've read pretty much all the Star Wars books, but never really gotten into comics but I'm thinking about giving then a try. I'm not looking for current series,or series where I'll have a hard time getting it all together but ones where the Story Arcs are in pretty easy to locate volumes.

I'm gonna try to get Dark Empire obviously, but I'm also looking into Scarlet Empire, so I'm wondering if anybody knows if that is any good, and has any suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm not a huge comic reader but I do dabble a bit. Dark Empire is a must as it is constantly referenced in the books.

Aside from that try the omnibuses, I particularly enjoyed the X-wing series and The Other Sons Of Tatooine.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Omnibus collections are a great way to bang out a whole group of comics at once. But the best comic arc ive ever read is actually one that just finished Darth Vader and the ghost prison. Super recommend it.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

Re: Looking Into Comics
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ultimatedash wrote:
I've read pretty much all the Star Wars books, but never really gotten into comics but I'm thinking about giving then a try. I'm not looking for current series,or series where I'll have a hard time getting it all together but ones where the Story Arcs are in pretty easy to locate volumes.

I'm gonna try to get Dark Empire obviously, but I'm also looking into Scarlet Empire, so I'm wondering if anybody knows if that is any good, and has any suggestions.

I think you mean Crimson Empire? Which rocks, btw.

I'll second the omnibus suggestion. They're FANTASTIC, and you get soooo much more for your dollar than a regular trade paperback. The best part is that they're all collected into story arcs. So if you want to read the Tales of the Jedi stuff, the prequel stuff, Clone Wars, etc... they're all right there in massive collections. And, for the most part, they're all very very good.

Re: Looking Into Comics
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ultimatedash wrote:

The Omnibus collections are your friend!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Omnibus collections are definitely the way to go.

Dark Empire is definitely a great place to start, as is Crimson Empire.

Beyond that I'd look into the X-wing series, Clone Wars (2 of 3 released so far) and Tales of the Jedi next.

The Old Republic collections are harder to follow since they each have different titles, but are all also very good.

Though they haven't been collected in omnibuses, the Legacy comics are also good.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

KOTOR. You'll thank me later Wink .

And also the Tales of the Jedi omnibuses have some pretty great stories.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

These guys are right with the omnibuses. My favourites are the two Tales of the Jedi volumes.

The Boba Fett one is pretty good too.

Frankly they're all good.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote  

If you decide to dabble in the omnibuses, my suggestions would be the Tales of the Jedi Omnibus Volume 1 (there are two volumes, they cover the ancient Sith and Jedi). X-Wing: Rogue Squadron Omnibus Volume 1 (there are three volumes, if you liked the X-Wing novels you'll probably like the comics too).

For trade paperbacks, my top picks would be Invasion: Refugees (takes place during NJO), Legacy: Broken (set in 137 BBY, way past the novels and covers Luke's descendant, Cade Skywalker), Knights of the Old Republic: Commencement (KOTOR is one of the best Star Wars comics ever with a lot of humor), and for something darker, Dark Times: Parallels which is set in between Episode III and IV.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Classic Marvel Star Wars. Sure it's bumped out of continuity, but that just means there is no need to read it in any order. It's just fun and cool artwork.

And it's also collected in Dark Horse's amazing omnibus'! Which no one can say a bad thing about... well, the weird size kinda ticks me off, but it is the best collected comic series you'll find, solid card and glossy pages unlike the crap DC showcase on newspaper and soft card stock that falls apart after one read.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I second what everybody said and add my own suggestion: If it has both John Ostrander and Jan Duursema written on it, you don't ask questions, you buy it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hogy wrote:
I second what everybody said and add my own suggestion: If it has both John Ostrander and Jan Duursema written on it, you don't ask questions, you buy it.

^This. I recommend Dawn of the Jedi by John and Jan. The TPB of the first arc is coming out in December. The world building is simply amazing. And who can resist the story of the Jedi before they were Jedi.

Just to tease, here's the proto-code of the Je'daii

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no fear; there is power.
I am the heart of the Force,
I am the revealing fire of Light.
I am the mystery of Darkness.
In balance with Chaos and Harmony...immortal in the Force

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Thanks for all the help guys!! The omnibuses were a great suggestion, and I'll definitely be looking into all the ones brought up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Classic Marvel Star Wars. Sure it's bumped out of continuity, but that just means there is no need to read it in any order. It's just fun and cool artwork.

Except for how it hasn't, and remains a perfectly valid part of continuity.

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
And it's also collected in Dark Horse's amazing omnibus'! Which no one can say a bad thing about... well, the weird size kinda ticks me off, but it is the best collected comic series you'll find, solid card and glossy pages unlike the crap DC showcase on newspaper and soft card stock that falls apart after one read.

I actually really enjoy the DC Showcase Presents and Marvel Essentlal books. I have like 20 of them and am slowly working my way through them (they're fun to read, but you can't read too many in a row). But I never did figure out why those books are $15-20 and the Marvel omnibuses are $60-110, while Dark Horse omnibuses are $25. Seems weird that one company has to charge three times as much for the same content, and be forced to provide a low-cost, B&W alternative.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Except for how it hasn't, and remains a perfectly valid part of continuity.

Wrong.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2