S5 - Episode 6: The Gathering
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
S5 - Episode 6: The Gathering
 PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote  

Season 5 - Episode 6: The Gathering
Airs: 11/3/12 at 9:30 AM ET/8:30 AM CT
Replays: 11/4/12 at 9:30 AM ET/8:30 AM CT

Summary: Yoda leads a group of Jedi younglings in the dangerous task of building their lightsabers. First episode of a four part arc.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

How's everyone finding the four part arc concept? Is it too much, or do you like that there's more time to tell the story?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I feel like for this story, it was a little long, but not much happened in the first 3 episodes - I can't even remember a significant event from the second one. With another story, the four-part arc might work better.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote  

I like the four part arc format. I think the extra time for storytelling is beneficial.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Re: S5 - Episode 6: The Gathering
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^Usually this.

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Season 5 - Episode 6: The Gathering

Summary: Yoda leads a group of Jedi younglings in the dangerous task of building their lightsabers. First episode of a four part arc.

That however doesn't require a four parter imo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote  

I think it's interesting that this arc was specially screen at Star Wars Celebration VI, where only adults with a child could get in, and George Lucas sat in on the screening to see the reactions. It makes me wonder, is George gauging the possibility of splitting TCW into two shows, one geared toward a younger audience and one toward a higher audience? Or is he simply checking to see if episodes geared toward younger audiences every now and then is still a good move?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Well it had a Wookie!!
But does anyone else find it strange that it seems like Ahsoka almost spends most her time away from Anakin? We see her carrying on missions Solo, and now assisting Yoda in training new Jedi, and it just seems like she has WAY too much responsibility and freedom sometimes. I know it's just because she is a main character, but it still bugs me some.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nope, doesn't bother me. I like the growth in her character.

Really liked this episode. Even though it was pretty predictable, I really like when we get more lore.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I really like the 4 part arcs as they give the chance to slow down from time to time and tell some story, most 30 min shows never get this luxury!

I agree with Skuldren that the way GL set up the screening does hint at a younger version of CW coming while CW continues down its darker trail.

I really liked the episode this week, I can see a 4 parter with this story building a new piece of there sabre each week.

And I love Ahsoka's growth over the last two seasons

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I guess George has changed his mind about Wookiee Jedi - maybe this means we'll get to see more Lowbacca?

The story was interesting, but it felt a little rushed, mainly because it was following 6 different characters all at once, and there was a bit of focus on Petro.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but some of the younglings sounded like they had stuffy noses. As a Minnesotan, I enjoyed this bit of realism - when it is that cold, everyone's nose gets stuffy.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I wasn't really sure why Ahsoka was on that mission, as she feels more like a front-line Jedi rather than a teacher, but I guess it was simply a way to show how much she's matured - which I'm a fan of. I like her progression, it's one of the better aspects of the show. But I'm not sure about this arc as a whole. The show seems to be escalating in tension - or maybe that's just from speculation on here - and to have a more slow episode (even if it's about building lightsabres) seems somehow out of kilter.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote  

I thought the episode was visually impressive. There were a lot of really cool effects (blowing snow on arrival was awesome). But I found the kids to be too emotional for my liking. It was almost like having six Anakins on screen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, I loved this episode so much. If they really did launch some other show with these young Jedi, I would watch it. This just had such a classic Star Wars feel, the story was simple but executed impressively, and visually it was fantastic. The characters felt real - I really have no complaints (besides wondering how having Ahsoka there makes sense, but in the real world I understand the reasoning).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well for me this was Disney VS GL in a way.
Yeahay Kids! Good for you.
Now GTFO.

GL Said no more Wookiee Jedi.

Disney said ***** please.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote  

Well it wouldn't surprise me any to hear George was the one who wanted the Wookiee in there. He changes his mind so much, the whole 'no Jedi Wookiees' thing was bound to end at some point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 1 of 2