Disney has bought Lucasfilm for $4bn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Cerrinea wrote:
Joss Whedon posted this on facebook.

Imagine how great a new Star Wars trilogy could be with the Yuuzhan Vong invasion as the plot focus.

Eric Geller said the Joss page wasn't official. However, Jose Whedon did officially visit LFL in November: http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/719/star-wars-friday-live-blog-trip-lucas-films

Dog-Pop_Walker wrote:
Most people are very happy about this because all they care about is new films. I'm sure Disney does too. They don't care about us. People who have bought everything that SW has made for the last 30 years don't mean anything compared to Opening Weekend Box Office Records.

People have been saying that since the Special Editions came out.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

Last edited by Dancelittleewok on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

So, a day on.

Have to say this has been on my mind a lot today, in fact I sound like a complete loser but I almost felt as if I was grieving until about midday.

When I read the news I wanted to sell all my books, comics and other Star Wars related items. I added up the value I could expect to achieve on eBay, £2000. It made me sad that these things mean so much more than that to me. I went to bed and didn't read a Star Wars book for the first time in 4 years.

I have thought about it and come to a realisation. I have hope. Sure, it's a slim hope, but I don't think I will be able to fully let go until it is completely extinguished. I have also set myself a target to consume all of the current EU before any announcements that might completely level my interest.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cerrinea wrote:
Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
I'm most worried about the story being sacrificed for the Summer Blockbuster title. Meh.

Would this be the appropriate moment for me to point out that the original Star Wars was a summer blockbuster? In fact, it pretty much defined summer blockbuster.

And Episode VII probably won't be a summer blockbuster - The Avengers 2 is already slated for May 2015, and I would think Disney would want to move Episode VII more towards Christmas to dominate both summer and winter.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Cerrinea wrote:
I'm most worried about the story being sacrificed for the Summer Blockbuster title. Meh.

Would this be the appropriate moment for me to point out that the original Star Wars was a summer blockbuster? In fact, it pretty much defined summer blockbuster.

And Episode VII probably won't be a summer blockbuster - The Avengers 2 is already slated for May 2015, and I would think Disney would want to move Episode VII more towards Christmas to dominate both summer and winter.

Um, this wasn't the point of my post. The point was that ANH defined summer blockbuster. It really was the first one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Life Is The Path wrote:
... The PT had Obi Wan, Yoda and Anakin because it was already established that they were part of the overall story.

?? I know....that was my point. We jump to the prequels, and one of the first characters we see is Obi-Wan, a character already established. They could've gone with any Jedi really, but they didn't, they wanted it to tie together. That's why I was saying I would be surprised if they went with totally new characters or timeline period.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:20 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Cerrinea wrote:
GrandMaster wrote:
Cerrinea wrote:

Um, this wasn't the point of my post. The point was that ANH defined summer blockbuster. It really was the first one.

I think GrandMaster was adding to the ponder. He raises some points that had totally skipped my mind. In fact it makes more sense to me to put Ep 7 in the winter slot. Much like Lord of the Rings. I don't think Avengers could do as well in that slot as say Star Wars new and in theater.

But that is not to say you don't have a point as well about the fact that SW has been a Summer film since what feels like the dawn of time. Again, so much to speculate about. Everyone will be watching their feeds for a long time to come. This is the beginning... again.... life is SO about circles Wink

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
I think GrandMaster was adding to the ponder. He raises some points that had totally skipped my mind. In fact it makes more sense to me to put Ep 7 in the winter slot. Much like Lord of the Rings. I don't think Avengers could do as well in that slot as say Star Wars new and in theater.

But that is not to say you don't have a point as well about the fact that SW has been a Summer film since what feels like the dawn of time. Again, so much to speculate about. Everyone will be watching their feeds for a long time to come. This is the beginning... again.... life is SO about circles Wink

Oh I know that's what he was saying. I was just clarifying my point because of someone else's point. Confused now lol?

Anyway, Star Wars was so huge in '77 that it took me a few months to see it. There were no multi-plexes in '77 and the lines were huge.

The lines were still huge in 1980 for ESB. I stood in line during premier week for 3 hours in Hollywood to see it at The Egyptian -- twice. Yeah, I was hooked in '77.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Proudfoot wrote:
Have to say this has been on my mind a lot today, in fact I sound like a complete loser but I almost felt as if I was grieving until about midday.

You know you're a Star Wars fan when you feel just like this. No worries, I felt exactly the same. Neutral

Here is a finished copy of Disney Princess Leia. My sister would kill me to know I posted a partial. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'd love to see Han as Prince Charming!

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Get her to do a series, Mara. Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

A lot of the negative reaction to the announcement that I have seen on the Internet has come from the idea of Disney making the next Star Wars movie. How would people feel if some other company, such as Warner Brothers, Universal, or Paramount, had bought Lucasfilm?

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

GrandMaster wrote:
A lot of the negative reaction to the announcement that I have seen on the Internet has come from the idea of Disney making the next Star Wars movie. How would people feel if some other company, such as Warner Brothers, Universal, or Paramount, had bought Lucasfilm?

I think I'd feel exactly the same, I know most of us had our issues with him but a Star Wars movie not made by George Lucas just seems wrong.

The most concerning thing for me is that they are not just making a trilogy but an ongoing stream of movies.

I don't want Star Wars to become like James Bond.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

GrandMaster wrote:

Interesting question. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that people would be a bit more accepting if a company other than Disney bought LucasFilms, but that's just a guess. As for my opinion, I'm very excited about all this. For me, it allows the Star Wars Universe to continue. To bring in new stories and new ideas. And as Shmi Skywalker said, "You can't stop change anymore than you can stop the suns from setting." In other words, it's going to happen whether we want it to or not, and you can either be a part of it not. Just my opinon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, imo JJ Abrams did a much better Trek movie than Roddenberry ever did -- although I'm partial to The Voyage Home, it was Nimoy who directed that one although Roddenberry was listed as writer. I still like Abram's Star Trek better.

Look at Nolan's Batman, another revitalized franchise. Imo, best three Batman movies, period.

So a change can end up being a very good thing.

I'm excited about it too. I'm not worried about Disney screwing this up any more than anyone else would have the potential to screw it up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Proudfoot wrote:

The most concerning thing for me is that they are not just making a trilogy but an ongoing stream of movies.

Are they actually making an ongoing stream of movies? I was under the impression that the only definite plan at the moment was 7, 8, and 9.

Cerrinea wrote:
Well, imo JJ Abrams did a much better Trek movie than Roddenberry ever did -- although I'm partial to The Voyage Home, it was Nimoy who directed that one although Roddenberry was listed as writer. I still like Abram's Star Trek better.

I'm also partial to First Contact - if Jonathan Frakes had directed Nemesis, I think it would have been a much better movie, and maybe not led to the franchise stagnation that developed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 8 of 12