Disney has bought Lucasfilm for $4bn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Baloo wrote:
I feel like my head is going to roll off my shoulders and onto the floor in dramatic fashion. That's how dumbfounded I am right now.

It's not that I think Disney is going to ruin Star Wars, though I do, it's this right here. I'm in shock.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cerrinea wrote:
Watch this video. It's Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy talking about the future of Star Wars movies. Lucas gave Kennedy his original 3rd trilogy plans along with the EU literature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqlTi7lkhY&feature=youtu.be

Did make me feel a little better tho.......... pretty funny that she told GL to blog about making a mess.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Exactly. It's mainly just shock right now. Though I am worried about the movies, it's not because Disney made them. I would be worried about anyone making them. Well, all I can do is hope that it turns out like Avengers, and not like Cars 2.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

If anyone thinks that the EU as we know it is not over, they are deluded.

Got an email from amazon today, my ERC will arrive tomorrow. After weeks of waiting it comes when I no longer want it.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think a lot of people are conflating two ideas here. Yes, Disney owns Lucasfilm and will be producing the next Star Wars film. However, this does not mean that the people who wrote Tangled and The Princess and The Frog will be the people writing Episode VII. Just take a look at Disney's live-action films - Pirates of the Caribbean, National Treasure, and now The Avengers and the other Marvel films. The animated movies might be the forefront of Disney's production, but it doesn't mean that every Disney movie is like The Little Mermaid.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

@Proudfoot- I cancelled mine because the courier that delivers it, Hermes, managed to smash up my Old Republic Encyclopedia, and then the replacement as well so I went and bought both 3rd party.
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

GrandMaster wrote:
I think a lot of people are conflating two ideas here. Yes, Disney owns Lucasfilm and will be producing the next Star Wars film. However, this does not mean that the people who wrote Tangled and The Princess and The Frog will be the people writing Episode VII. Just take a look at Disney's live-action films - Pirates of the Caribbean, National Treasure, and now The Avengers and the other Marvel films. The animated movies might be the forefront of Disney's production, but it doesn't mean that every Disney movie is like The Little Mermaid.

I don't think that's really what people are thinking. I can only speak for myself however. I have no idea how much time, money and imagination I have invested in Star Wars outside of the movies. I would bet my house that episode 7 will completely destroy all the work done in creating a post ROTJ chronology.

Maybe you can forgive them for ******** on Mandalore, etc. but when Thrawn, the Vong and everything else is wiped out? I don't see how Star Wars literature can move on from here until with have more details about these movies.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Very easily, they make a clean break and stop trying to line everything across several mediums up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Proudfoot wrote:

I don't think that's really what people are thinking. I can only speak for myself however. I have no idea how much time, money and imagination I have invested in Star Wars outside of the movies. I would bet my house that episode 7 will completely destroy all the work done in creating a post ROTJ chronology.

Maybe you can forgive them for ******** on Mandalore, etc. but when Thrawn, the Vong and everything else is wiped out? I don't see how Star Wars literature can move on from here until with have more details about these movies.

But we don't know that they are eliminating the current continuity. The Marvel comic books haven't gone through major continuity changes as a result of Disney's acquisition of Marvel. Episode VII will still come from Lucasfilm, it's just that Lucasfilm now comes from Disney.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Problem with continuity is that current testing was founded on GL's artistic need to keep the tie-in material in line with his vision, and internal EU consistency has been an extension of that. It was a vanity-project that we have all grown too fond of.

Now the owners are not GL, and they might decide that paying people to keep continuity straight when they can just go the Marvel route and reboot, reboot, reboot, if they care at all, is not cost-effective.

Fortunately they must know fans are wary of this merger, and will hopefully be scared of rocking the boat too much. And with Lucas no longer at the helm, quality will likely be better in all live-action media.

It can either go really well, or really bad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

GrandMaster wrote:
Proudfoot wrote:

But we don't know that they are eliminating the current continuity. The Marvel comic books haven't gone through major continuity changes as a result of Disney's acquisition of Marvel. Episode VII will still come from Lucasfilm, it's just that Lucasfilm now comes from Disney.

The difference is that Marvel is a franchise with a foundation in comic books. Disney have acquired Lucasfilm on the basis of the 6 movies. I understand the movies will come from Lucasfilm, and I honestly think I would feel only slightly better than I do now.

Last edited by Proudfoot on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

However Marvel comics have never really worried about lining up the comics with the movies, so I don't really think that's a valid point Grandmaster. Don't get me wrong though, I'm on your side, we can at least be hopeful until we hear something bad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Werehunter wrote:
Very easily, they make a clean break and stop trying to line everything across several mediums up.

What's the point in that? Star Wars is Star Wars.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Personally, I'm concerned mostly about continuity.

Disney acquires Lucasfilm? That's nice. Shocking, but I don't really care. So long as the company stays intact, and Star Wars remains, I'm OK with it.

Production of Episode VII (and way beyond). Now THIS concerns me greatly. As a huge continuity nerd (and someone who's come to adore star wars because of it), this concerns me greatly.

There is very little space to write whole new trilogies post ROTJ without extensive tie-in to existing works. And if that's not done, IMHO, I'm going to lose interest very quickly.

I loathe. Repeat. LOATHE reboots and separate continuities (parodies like Tag&Bink, or stated "what ifs" like Infinities excluded) The Bond reboot with Craig has turned that from being one of my 3 favourite movie series into something that I barely care about.

If that happens to Star Wars...well, at least I'll be saving a lot of money in the future.

That said, if they do tie it in to the existing EU, and its the same quality as the Avengers, then I'm going to continue on as I have always done and not really notice the difference.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Because it's hard to do when you consider how many people are working in just one medium. When you put the mediums all together, many of which are done by separate companies who license the rights to use Star Wars, it is all but impossible.

I want the books to line up with the books, the comics to line up with the comics, the video games to line up with the video games. They should all be based on the same source material, but don't worry about lining up the continuity 100%. Let them go their own way, as long as they don't go too far. There's no reason to force the people writing the novels to ensure their stories will lead to the Legacy comic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 3 of 12