Episode VII in 2015 [spoiler thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^It's just a rumor probably, but even if true, it doesn't automatically mean we'll have the Emperor or his clones as villian(s) in E.VII.

Here are just some of the possibilities how Ian could appear in E.VII:
As the Emperor in a flashback/video,
an alien character with heavy duty makeup and stuff,
just his voice,....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^Yeah it's just a rumor. Nothing wrong with speculation, though.

IF it's true (which is a big if), I highly doubt he's going to play a random alien. If Ian comes aboard, he's playing Palpatine. Period. Whether he' a Sith ghost, an image in a hologram or holocron, clone, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Reepicheep wrote:
AdmiralSteven wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
At Celebration Europe, Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that John Williams will indeed compose Episode VII and that the new movie will rely less on CGI and more on physical locations and props. Both bits of news please me. Smile

Source: http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/star-wars-7-will-have-less-cgi--more-real-effects-104549024.html

As for the recent casting rumours... Ryan Gosling? Sure. Zach Efron? Please no...

Source: All over the internet

I have to admit that I'm a bit torn on this. I love what they did with the PT with regards to Coruscant, but I also like the locations as well. Let's just hope that they have a good mix of both.

I think that if something can be done for real, it should be. CGI should be used only when necessary. Movies always look better that way (e.g. compare LotR to the Hobbit, the first two Narnia movies to "Dawn Treader", and the Dark Knight trilogy to every other superhero movie). Unless it's Pixar.

I would agree; however, what they can do with CGI is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Jedi Joe wrote:
RUMOR: Ian McDiarmid returning for Episode VII

Very questionable but I figure I'd throw it in here. It's a bit interesting though, given Ian's comments at CEII.

My issue with the "Emporer's Clones" plotline in Dark Empire was that the saga ended with the Emporer's defeat, and that bringing him back somewhat cheapened the films. If they decide to go that route for Episode VII though, I might be open to it, seeing as Return of the Jedi isn't the conclusion after all.

I'm not sure how to take this news. On one hand I'm excited, but on the other I'm nervous they're going to cheapen the movie by bring him back just because he's evil and was such a good character. The Emperor is dead. He died on the Death Star. If they bring Palpatine back in some form of force ghost that's fine. Palpatine was a powerful Sith and I could buy that, but don't bring him back for the sake of bringing him back because he's evil. As Jedi Joe stated above, the story didn't end with ROtJ, and couldn't have because logic dictates that the empire is going to continue in some form until completely defeated. The next set of stories could come from noblemen vying for the throne while fighting the Rebels. Remember, the galaxy's a large place filled with many people...and not all of them are good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

AdmiralSteven wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
AdmiralSteven wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
At Celebration Europe, Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that John Williams will indeed compose Episode VII and that the new movie will rely less on CGI and more on physical locations and props. Both bits of news please me. Smile

Source: http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/star-wars-7-will-have-less-cgi--more-real-effects-104549024.html

As for the recent casting rumours... Ryan Gosling? Sure. Zach Efron? Please no...

Source: All over the internet

I have to admit that I'm a bit torn on this. I love what they did with the PT with regards to Coruscant, but I also like the locations as well. Let's just hope that they have a good mix of both.

I think that if something can be done for real, it should be. CGI should be used only when necessary. Movies always look better that way (e.g. compare LotR to the Hobbit, the first two Narnia movies to "Dawn Treader", and the Dark Knight trilogy to every other superhero movie). Unless it's Pixar.

I would agree; however, what they can do with CGI is pretty cool.

True, but the trade-off is that it tends to look fake.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I hope they don't rely overly on CG for the new films. Practical effects tend to look more there, besides giving the actors something to react to.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I hope they don't rely overly on CG for the new films. Practical effects tend to look more there, besides giving the actors something to react to.

JJ seems to like a good mix, I think we'll be ok with some of it. He likes aliens with makeup, he likes set pieces, all that. He loves his big CGI space battles (and while they look good they look nowhere near realistic) but other than that he likes his makeup and effects work unless he has to use something else.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

A thought just occurred to me:

The current version of the SW Saga has the Chosen One bring balance to the Force by destroying Palpatine.

But RotJ was, according to Secret History, always a quick wrap-up of what the original Sequel Trilogy was supposed to be all about. Namely "The Other" from ESB finally bringing the Empire down.

And supposedly GL approved of the clone emperor idea from DE, going so far as to call it the unofficial ST.

So what if, as GL sat down to invent a treatment -true to his decades-old vision, but at the same time compatible with the existing movies- that could be made into movies to entice Disney before the sale, all of these factors came toghether. What if he decided to have a clone Palp return, but somehow weakened for Ani's sake, having to be finally destroyed by Luke, who is a sort of Chosen One given his importance to Ani fulfilling the prohesy in RotJ. With some clever reinterpretation, entirely in the vein GL has done all along, it could make sense. And it would allow the inclusion of the Sith and Empire, as well as appropriately high stakes, without rendering Ani's sacrifice null and void. It would permit an "Other" in the form of the new main cast. It would permit Palp to be the main bad guy just like he was in the PT and OT. And it would fit the original version of the ST.

A bit crazy, I agree, but so is this rumor!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I certainly hope we get a bunch of CGI goodness in Episode VII. The Star Wars films have always been the pinnacle of cinematic technology. It's been over 8 years since Revenge of the Sith has been released, and yet there aren't very many films that have better visual effects (IMO). I don't want Star Wars to ride the status quo just because Lucas' involvement is more limited than it was for the other six films.

Also, many seem to ignore that there were A LOT of practical effects in the prequels. Much of the duel on Mustafar was done using miniatures, sets, and footage of the 2002 Mount Etna eruption. The argument that the prequels were all CGI is completely false.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I could be wrong, but when people accuse the PT of being CGI, pasting toghether footage from other locations and props onto a scene is part of it, not exempt. I certainly do.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
I could be wrong, but when people accuse the PT of being CGI, pasting toghether footage from other locations and props onto a scene is part of it, not exempt. I certainly do.

CGI = Computer Generated Imagery

Props and on-location shots are done with actual cameras and thus aren't CGI. The shots are digitally stitched together, which is no different than cut-and-pasting film together in the old days.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Literal pedantry falls pretty far from how language is used by human psychology. Simply put, a term or sentence very rarely means just what is literally said.

So if your basis for criticizing people's problems with CGI is a literal interpretation of the term, you are missing the point. The point is that computers were used to create an image that wasn't even close to the scene in front of the camera, the one the actors were supposed to react to. And the human eye is surprisingly good at telling when this is the case.

It is also a rather technical distinction. It is unlikely most people who have a problem with these things even know what terms to use for the sort of composition you talk about, if they even know it is separate in the first place. CGI is a useful shorthand categorization.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So why don't people complain about the green screen , and the traditional rotoscoping done in the OT? Those certainly aren't "practical effects". Are those included under the "loose CGI" label too?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
So why don't people complain about the green screen , and the traditional rotoscoping done in the OT? Those certainly aren't "practical effects". Are those included under the "loose CGI" label too?

There were still models used and such, adding a more 'real' feel to the CGI usage. What was done in the prequel trilogy looks like a video game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:

There were still models used and such, adding a more 'real' feel to the CGI usage. What was done in the prequel trilogy looks like a video game.

I disagree. Even with the fact that the PT used a lot more practical effects than many give it credit for, the CGI usage was warranted for what it was used in, and it excelled in those areas.

Take, for instance, Yoda. The CG Yoda looked like a legitimate living being, rather than the puppet Yoda's rubber skin and limited mobility. Now this isn't a slam on Frank Oz' puppetry at all, and I will be the first one to protest if they change the Yoda in ESB and RotJ to CGI in the next re-release, but in my opinion, the CG Yoda was better in every way, visually.

Also, anyone who tells me that these scenes would have looked better without CGI are kidding themselves:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

CGI is here to stay, because Star Wars Episode VII is coming in 2015, not 1977.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 16 of 33