Episode VII in 2015 [spoiler thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

For the record, I'd be totally down for a Nightsisters movie. Not at all for episode 7, but like somewhere in the future.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'll admit that a predominately female cast would feel really odd for a Star Wars movie. At least for a Saga movie... as others have mentioned a spin off movie would be different. I have no issues whatsoever with stories that have predominantly female characters and wouldn't mind seeing more of them, I just think it would feel out of place for a Star Wars Saga film. I also wouldn't at all have minded a 50/50 split between male and female characters (which was pretty much what the EU was), but that isn't what we got and I don't there should be an outcry over it. The motivation for creative decisions should never be to please the masses or minorities. Let art be art, and leave politics out of it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:

And btw there is a female character they haven't cast yet:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-episode-vii-casting-699924

I'm holding out that it's Luke's wife. Rumors are hit and miss, so it could happen...

By the way things are looking, Luke and Leia will both have one child. (Ridley as Han\Leia's child, and Gleeson as Luke's) I hope for the sake of sanity that they name the kids Jaina and Ben.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think there's a chance that Driver could still be a Jacen Solo type. He's been rumored as a villain, but that doesn't mean a villain for this particular film does it?

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:06 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

From everything I've read, the remaining female to be cast will be "young" and "bi-racial"...so I don't think we're looking at Luke's wife/mother of his child/children. And, rumor has it that this as of yet not cast female will be some decendent of OB1. *rolls eyes*

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think it'd be fun to have "Ben"'s mother mysteriously not there, and give the NewU books some time without knowing who she is. Then reveal her in a later film.

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Obi-Wan's decendant being bi-racial is funny since Satine couldn't be more aryan if she tried.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skywalker2B wrote:
From everything I've read, the remaining female to be cast will be "young" and "bi-racial"...so I don't think we're looking at Luke's wife/mother of his child/children. And, rumor has it that this as of yet not cast female will be some decendent of OB1. *rolls eyes*

Those are just rumors. JJ only confirmed the role will be a female character.

Honestly, though, I don't think Luke will be currently married in the ST. I think he will be a widower, which might make him more prone to the influence of the dark side. Domhall Gleeson having red hair can be a nice nod to fans of Mara Jade, however, if he is indeed Luke's son.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't think the remaining female character will be Luke's wife for another reason. Remember this casting call? There were two female characters being cast and both were in their late teens. Daisy Ridley is presumably one of them, but we still need the other.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Taral-DLOS wrote:

It is odd, but is it any bigger an imbalance than literally any of the other Star Wars movies?

Sort of. There's certainly quite an imbalance, but this post here shows that it was getting better in the prequels (not so much in ROTS): http://tosche-station.net/observation-women-speak-star-wars/

Quote:
It'll all depend on story for me. In my opinion, sticking women in your movie so you look progressive does no favors for women. It implies they some how need others to write work for them to have value in a story.

You're entirely missing the point. This isn't about wanting to look progressive. This isn't about wanting to be PC. This isn't about wanting to look good to other people, this isn't at all about us. This is wanting people to actually be included. Because they're real, actual people who deserve characters they can relate to. You know, just like us.

Quote:
Star Wars has always been about fathers and sons and to an extent brothers

Leia disagrees.

Name one reason, just one (and none of that 'being PC insults me' BS) that having more women in the upcoming films actually hurts the story?

Quote:
Just go with what/who suits the story.
Why does a character being male suit the story? Do they really need to be male? We're asking, 'why include more women?' but why aren't we asking 'why does this role have to be male?'?

So why do we need diversity in our films? Because we don't live in an all-white, all male world. Look around you. Is that all you see? Is that really all you can imagine?

I'm going to stop there, because this is giving me a headache.

EDIT: I came across this article, which seemed rather apt: http://www.sharctank.com/5-worst-arguments/
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:15 am Reply with quote  

I wholeheartedly agree, Life. With the Original Trilogy and the Prequel Trilogy, we got the whole father-son story. It's now time for a mother-daughter story or father-daughter story with a female Solo-Skywalker in the lead. ROTJ prepped everything for women being in positions of leadership with Princess Leia and Mon Mothma leading the Rebellion. It's only natural for the progression to continue, for the new government to further suppress the sexism and xenophobia of the Empire.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

One more thing: after ANH came out, people complained that there weren't any black characters. So to 'make the movie look progressive', we got Lando.

Your move, internet.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have no problem whatsoever with an increase in female characters (though as I said before a female dominated cast would feel strange for a Star Wars Saga movie) and Skuldren has a great point about the events of RotJ paving the way for more women in authority. And I also agree that the father/son idea in Star Wars doesn't need to be set in stone. Why would it?

That said, this is why the negative reaction annoys me:

1) I dislike it when outside pressures determine creative decisions. I don't care if it comes from studio execs or the masses/minority groups. I just really dislike it. Maybe I'm not seeing thing from a franchise perspective, but in my opinion, art shouldn't be a democracy. It should be an autocracy, or at most an oligarchy; an artist and their work. For me experience has shown that the best artists are selfish artists, artists that tell the story they're compelled to tell with little or no consideration for their audience. It seems counter-intuitive, but in my opinion that is how great art is made. You will all call me out on this and point to George Lucas, but I believe he is the exception to the rule. And the beauty of it is that, if you don't like the way stories are being told, you can make your own!

2) We have two, probably three, female major characters which is more than the other six movies. I also have a strong feeling that one of them will be the protagonist. The characters in the article that Life linked are all secondary/minor characters and wouldn't be listed on a major casting list like the one we got, so there will probably be plenty of female characters that we don't know about. It may not be as much as people were hoping for, but so far it's better than the other films. Could there be more? Yes. Should there be? That's up to the artists.

"For it is a mad world and it will get madder if we allow the minorities, be they dwarf or giant, orangutan or dolphin, nuclear-head or water-conversationalist, pro-computerologist or Neo-Luddite, simpleton or sage, to interfere with aesthetics. The real world is the playing ground for each and every group, to make or unmake laws. But the tip of the nose of my book or stories or poems is where their rights and my territorial imperatives begin, run and rule. If Mormons do not like my plays, let them write their own. If the Irish hate my Dublin stories, let them rent typewriters. [...] All you umpires, back to the bleachers. Referees, hit the showers. It's my game. I pitch, I hit, I catch. I run the bases. At sunset I've won or lost. At sunrise, I'm out again, giving it the old try. And no one can help me. Not even you." - Ray Bradbury

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I have no problem whatsoever with an increase in female characters (though as I said before a female dominated cast would feel strange for a Star Wars Saga movie) and Skuldren has a great point about the events of RotJ paving the way for more women in authority. And I also agree that the father/son idea in Star Wars doesn't need to be set in stone. Why would it?

I just have a question: why would a female-dominated cast feel strange?

Jaina, Allana, and Ania Solo have been great female characters right up there with Katniss Everdeen and Tris Prior. Some kind of non-EU equivalent should have that kind of exposure too. A Han/daughter, Leia/daughter, or Luke/daughter relationship would be an amazing story, and a larger female cast would be fun.

I agree that it shouldn't be done for the hell of it, but I don't see why you should feel weird by there being more women in the story than men.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well when I say "female-dominated", I mean that it would mostly be female characters (e.g. imagine an inverse ratio of male, female characters in ANH). That would just feel odd. I don't mean that a Star Wars movie would feel odd with a female protagonist. Hey, if I found out that Jaina Solo was going to be the protagonist of the ST, I would be thrilled! I also agree that a Luke/daughter, Han/daughter, Leia/daughter story could be awesome and I highly suspect that's what we're going to see. I disagree with YodaBauer2442 that Star Wars needs to be the story of fathers and sons. Anakin/Luke was one story, but now a new story is being told.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 27 of 33