Episode VII in 2015 [spoiler thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote  

I'm hoping for...

A.) Palpatine is Rey's grandfather

or

B.) Rey's parents are nobodies

or

C.) Rey came out of the blue egg in Poe Dameron #1

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cool.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ That is interesting. I've noticed that figure in Anakin's room before, but I never made the connection that it might be Maz Kanata. I was always more focused on the thing hanging up on the wall that looks just like a ball scoop.

It would be nice to see a connection with the PT, even if an extremely minor one.

On a somewhat related note... I've complained a lot about TFA and I think my complaints are justified, but one thing I actually really liked about TFA is the number of mysteries it presents. Who is Rey, who is Snoke, what is Luke going to do in the next episode etc. I got into Star Wars shortly before RotS came in theatres and never experienced any real speculation regarding the films, so this is fun. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Strange thing for an actor to say about his character if the very next movie is supposed to reveal him as a biological father.

It doesn't add up. And I can't imagine them taking the diversion and misinformation campaign THAT far.

This worries me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
one thing I actually really liked about TFA is the number of mysteries it presents.

That's the thing I hated most! We aren't just speculating on what is going to happen, they purposely withheld information from the audience to generate anticipation. Typical Abrams, setting up mysteries in place of a plot because he knows that it's not on him to deliver them. He gets to walk away and leave that up to someone else.

Remember in A New Hope where we spent the whole movie trying to guess who Luke Skywalker's father was? Surprise relatives worked in the OT because we didn't see it coming. And now it's a way played out trope. I guess that's why they teased it instead of trying to act like that wasn't the idea, because we'd see it coming a mile away. Or they could think up an original idea instead...
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@DarthMRN: I saw that a while back. I read it as J. J. Abrams isn't against the idea of Luke being gay in principle. If he said anything else he would get eviscerated by the media and labelled a "homophobe". Anyway, Luke can't be gay because he had the hots for his sister. Razz

@Dog: I suppose that's fair. I just remember hearing that there was speculation between films during the OT era. We never saw the Emperor was until RotJ. We didn't know who the "other hope" Yoda mentioned was (and apparently neither did Lucas Razz ). And of course the PT had it because it was connecting all the dots. Even if I'm not thrilled right now about the direction Star Wars has been taken, I'm glad I can finally be part of the speculation.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I didn't read that as him being put on the spot and asked about Luke, but as him taking a comment by JJ and emails being sent to him and volunteering info. In which case he is either confirming that there was no wife or biological daughter, or using this supposed support of a troubled minority as part of a Mystery Box PR campaign.

I doubt he would dare do the latter. Nor Disney.

Hell, even if he was put on the spot there would be no need to reference Luke, whose Leia antics should speak for themselves.

Put another way, if it turns out Luke is Rey's dad, this would make Mark look real bad in hindsight on a quite sensitive topic. And he'd take the entire Disney marketing machine with him if it turned out it was all misdirection, and they made this particular topic part of it in the guise of support.

They have basically trapped themselves to a point where I can only assume Luke isn't the dad. Cause the only ambiguity saving this comment is Luke living as the chaste Jedi anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You don't follow Mark Hamill, do you? He's been making all kinds of jokes about everyone being Luke's kid. He has to know, but I can see him totally saying that and having no idea. Anything he is saying is not part of any marketing strategy, it's just him joking around because he knows about all the wild rumors.

As for Luke being gay, that is also out of context. What he said is that if you want Luke to be gay in your fan canon, he can be gay. He's saying that to be nice to his fans, knowing that it will have zero impact on anything on the screen. That doesn't mean Luke can't have kids. There are a lot of gay people that have kids. Use your imagination for that one.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
You don't follow Mark Hamill, do you? He's been making all kinds of jokes about everyone being Luke's kid. He has to know, but I can see him totally saying that and having no idea. Anything he is saying is not part of any marketing strategy, it's just him joking around because he knows about all the wild rumors.

As for Luke being gay, that is also out of context. What he said is that if you want Luke to be gay in your fan canon, he can be gay. He's saying that to be nice to his fans, knowing that it will have zero impact on anything on the screen. That doesn't mean Luke can't have kids. There are a lot of gay people that have kids. Use your imagination for that one.

Can I just make you 20 twitter accounts and set you loose? It baffles me that no one seems to think like you do, that everyone seems to take everything way too seriously. You're able to see it from a marketing perspective and from the perspective of someone who is looking at a man trolling the media and fandom.

Good lord, people are really reading way too much into everything he's saying.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This being a sensitive topic and him being a goofy, nice guy is precisely why the joke angle can't be seriously considered. And if he doesn't know about any reveal in the middle of shooting, that makes such a reveal unlikely in the first place, as VIII is the natural place for it.

And the fan canon only works if you aren't slapped in the face with proof to the contrary, but things are left ambiguous. And if they are, there can be no reveal. That is the point.
The only way for it to have zero effect on what happens onscreen is if he counts on the very fans who clearly care about the actual character and what it can say to them, engaging in alternate universe thinking where the latest movies don't matter. But if the old movies -as they were- did, why would the new ones suddenly don't?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:

Fandom is as fandom does. Wink

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

Fandom is as fandom does. Wink

Yeah, fanatics kind of ruin a lot of things. I'm all for continuity and plot/character development but some of the obsession around a man having fun joking around is ridiculous lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You guys are nuts to see any joke anywhere in Mark's statement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YES!!!

I found it. The video where George both implies power in the Force compensates for training and skill AND blames Vader's poor showing on his suit. Meaning Vader was weakened, and the suit was to blame. By his word, not Legends.

And how that complely tears apart any precedent for Rey beating Ren on any level.

Posted as much for ease of reference later as any sort of edification.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
the fan canon only works if you aren't slapped in the face with proof to the contrary

Have you ever seen Star trek Fanfic?

You're right, it doesn't make any sense, but most people only care about fan service, not continuity. To really do both things it takes a careful balance of a skilled storyteller. yeah, right! So it doesn't happen.

But it's a good thing here, because it comes close. Hamill can appease the fans because he doesn't actually have any power to make it happen and it won't turn the thing into Harry Potter garbage.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GUYS! Was there a limb chopped off in TFA? I don't think there was one, but maybe I'm forgetting.

There has been at least one limb chopped off in every Star Wars movie before TFA and it would be a shame to end the grand tradition. I can't believe I didn't think about this until now. Razz

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 61 of 63