Episode VII in 2015 [spoiler thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
GUYS! Was there a limb chopped off in TFA? I don't think there was one, but maybe I'm forgetting.

There has been at least one limb chopped off in every Star Wars movie before TFA and it would be a shame to end the grand tradition. I can't believe I didn't think about this until now. Razz

I mean limbs probably went everywhere when the base blew up, I'll count it lol.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Holy crap! You are right!

AAAAAAABRAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMSSSS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I mean it really isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things... but... just...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote  

Unkar had his arm ripped off in the novel, but I don't think there was any severing of anyone in the film.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mr. Pinkett has stuff to say about that whole Awakening.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

As did BMD. Just depends on the blowhard of choice, I think RLM is embarrassing to Fandom everywhere.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/10/04/hoth-white-why-diversity-matters-in-star-wars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Barf! Talk about missing the point by a country mile. That one was so bad I can't even be bothered to refute it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Good thing, because the two hour Plinkett nonsense wasn't really worth the time it would take to pick apart either. The RLM discussion on the prequels had a few things to say but pretty much everything else they put out has been garbage, I think this included.

EDIT: That was overly aggressive and uncalled for, my apologies. I really do, however, dislike them as a review team. It has nothing to do with their opinions, mostly to do with their delivery and misunderstanding of half of the stuff they discuss (though they do, admittedly, very much understand their audience).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I should hope you could do better than those people in the article you linked, at least. The most I can give them is a point that spending so much time on the Prequels in a TFA video is inappropriate, more an examination of fan culture anno today than specifically about the flaws of the movie.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's better than I can give RLM. Burnouts appealing to burnouts, pseudo-intellectual views on things, and sometimes just plum being so blitzed that they can't follow the plot of a film.

Like I said, you just have to go with your blowhard of choice. I can't stand RLM but if I'm going to listen to pop-culture garble from "smarmy" people I prefer Faracci, at least it isn't the dumpster-fire that most of RLM content turns out to be. You seem to prefer the Plinkett character, kudos. Blowhard of choice.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I couldn't even finish Plinkett's review of TPM. I was tearing my hair out towards the end. I'm almost tempted to watch the TFA review - simply because I might be somewhat more sympathetic to it. That's assuming RLM gave TFA a bad review... for all I know they loved it. Plinkett did seem disappointed that TPM wasn't a carbon copy of ANH after all. Rolling Eyes

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

About to watch The Force Awakens for the first time since I sulked out of the theater in 2015. I was so upset with the movie, I actually never watched it a second time. I'm a little amazed by that, but...it's true.

Still, I figure it deserves a second viewing, especially considering I would be lying to say I won't see The Last Jedi. So we'll see how it holds up the second time around.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Time for an honest moment: I loved it. I really did.

Time heals wounds, I suppose. I was still so bitter about the transition back when, I was expecting/demanding the movie I wanted. The movie that directly followed the EU I was familiar with and attached to. And I was heartbroken with the movie we got.

But time has allowed those feelings of betrayal to soften. As my husband put it, I have to judge the film on its what it is, not what I wanted. And what it is is a genuine attempt to stay true to the feeling of Star Wars.

I still have three criticisms:

1. Reboot extraordinaire
2. Han and Leia's estrangement
3. Han's death

However...I can actually get past those issues now. I'm surprised, but I can. The acting was on point, the humor was on point, the look and feel and the characters were on point. While the general plot was recycled and lackluster, this time around I was able to ask so many questions. Who's that, when did that happen, what's that? The same questions from the original trilogy that I would imagine led to the EU in the first place. It really was a good movie.

So...while I'm still saddened by the assassination of the EU I know and love, I can actually begin to enjoy what we've been given. I'm suddenly, genuinely interested in exploring the new universe. In a way, I'm excited for Star Wars all over again!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm glad you had a much better second viewing. I was able to enjoy it the second time around with lowered expectations, but I'm still not a fan of it.

I've let go off any bitterness I might have had about the EU and I think that whatever gripes I have about TFA now are not because it isn't the EU but because I genuinely don't like certain directions they took the narrative in.

I have numerous gripes with TFA, but they are all things I can live with. The one thing I can't let go of, not so much as a movie-goer but as a fan of Star Wars, is something that covers numerous issues, but can be summed up in one sentence: TFA destroyed so much of what was accomplished in the OT.

The Return of the Jedi ended with their extinction once again. The re-instatement of the Republic was apparently undone by Starkiller Base. Han and Leia's love story was undone. Han Solo giving up his life as a loner smuggler for a life less selfish and more noble was also undone. As a Star Wars fan, how can I not be disappointed by this?

I have become more hopeful that future films can begin to rectify what I still think was a major mis-step in the narrative, but I just can't like the direction of things while we only have TFA to go on.

For what it's worth I thought TFA was a very fun movie. It was technically well-crafted. It was well acted. I love Kylo Ren. As an unbiased movie-goer, I enjoy it. As a heavily biased Star Wars fan, I just can't like it. And I honestly think this comes more from my love of the original six movies than my love of the EU.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you completely. Hence my statement previously about being heartbroken. Not just over the loss of the EU, but heartbroken over essentially the undoing of the original trilogy.

But...while it still pains me how they basically made null and void the entire original trilogy, I'm enjoying the movie for what it is. I can either continue to be bitter and miss out on everything Star Wars from here on out, or I can compromise a bit and jump back into the universe that brought me so much joy as a teenager.

I'm not excusing their narrative methods, but I think I can meet them in the middle. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 62 of 63