Episode VII in 2015 [spoiler thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Proudfoot wrote:
I feel like at this point any actor who is not Cumberbatch will get a bad reaction.

Or Fassbender.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

What character description? I haven't heard anything about that.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

From my understand, they are basically just describing it as Vader-eqsue. Making people think that villains will be much of the same as the previous films.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Really? Hmm. I don't know if I like that or hate that or feel slightly miffed at that. To have another Vader (or Vader-like villain) could certainly be a bad idea, but it could be done well. I'll have to wait and see what more is said.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote  

StarWars.com has released some official news.

*principal photography on Star Wars: Episode VII, directed by J.J. Abrams, will commence May 2014, and will be based at London's historic Pinewood Studios.

*Star Wars: Episode VII is set about 30 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi

*will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-vii-set-to-roll-cameras-may-2014.html

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finally, something to go off of! It's not much, but it's something.

The trio of new leads doesn't surprise me as the last two trilogies had three main characters. The fact that the new leads are mentioned first suggests that the rumour that the Big 3 starring in Episode VII is false, though they could still have major roles.

30 years after RotJ would place this around the time of the Dark Nest trilogy. I know this movie will most likely not be in EU continuity, but it's good to have a reference point.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Planet Spacoid, (if you look it up on facebook, you will find it)

So do you think that they'll even mention anything that occurred in the eu? And were those auditions in Chicago a few months back looking for roles for Skywalker's and Solo's kids for the main characters or are they doing something completely different for main characters?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote  

Rumor mill seems to think we'll get Jaina and Jacen "like" characters, not them straight from the EU, and maybe not even their names. They also seem to think Luke will have a son, but I'm not sure how much he'll have in common with Ben. Again, just rumors.

Personally, I like nods to the EU, but I have no idea what Abrams thinks of the EU.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I must say, one of the things that got me into reading SW books and comics (Heir to the Empire and Dark Empire respectively) initially was the idea that the story that was started in the movies continued. I remember being happy when LFL said that they wanted to have one continuity...one story. Now it seems that GL just thought of the EU as an idea pool for him and his select few to use to enhance their own ideas on what the SW story really is. While I accept that, as the creator of the original story, he has the right to do so. But I also find this to be a bit of a slap in the face to those of us that actually believed LFL when they told us the stories being told in the books and comics were a continuation of the story.

Now comes SW:Rebels, the ST, spin-off movies, and who knows what else. For well over a year now they've told us absolutely nothing about how any of these new projects will affect the existing stories. It's official...30 years after RotJ, but that's about it. Still no mention or even hint about how it will affect the EU. I think the clearest hint we're getting is from Del Rey, and now Dark Horse (with Star Wars series and Rebel Heist). Everything post-RotJ is cancelled while we're given stories set between ANH and ESB from authors that have only seen the movies. Hasbro not allowed to do any EU characters anymore. No EU based costume characters allowed to march in the Disney parades. Yeah, I'd say the evidence is painting a pretty bleak picture for EU fans (me being one of them). But, I still don't understand why they (LFL/Disney) don't just come out and tell us what they're plan is going forward. If it's to be a complete reboot, that's fine, just tell us and we'll look forward to the new stories. If a partial reboot, fine. If something else entirely, fine. It's this not knowing bit that really has me disliking Disney/LFL right now. And KK telling us that while they don't want to spoil everything they would still not keep us completely in the dark. Really? Then why do I still feel like we're still completely in the dark?

Speaking from one that lived through the "in between" years of Episodes 4-6 (I fondly remember the morning bus stop discussions about who was the other hope or whether or not Vader was lying to Luke), it seems like this past year plus has been a lot harder.

Well, one good thing to come out of this...I used to be a SW addict, but since the Disney sale and subequent cancellation of just about everything SW that I loved I have been slowly "falling out of love" (I guess that's the best way to put it). Sure, I'm looking forward to the new movies and such, but not like I used to. Of course, I could also contribute it to growing older and finally maturing......nah. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Planet Spacoid, (if you look it up on facebook, you will find it)

Personally, I would like to find out that Jacen and Jaina "like" characters would be completely out of the question. I know that they can't be just like the EU, but I would just hate it to find out that the end of the EU is upon us. I mean, it's our namesake. But if it happens, there is no way that we can stop Disney, no matter how hard we try. It's funny. This is sort of turning into the original trilogy, only there aren't as many planets, spaceships, or species. But we will come out strong in the end, making Disney's (the Empire's) franchise crumble at it's roots.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Bane wrote:
Personally, I would like to find out that Jacen and Jaina "like" characters would be completely out of the question. I know that they can't be just like the EU, but I would just hate it to find out that the end of the EU is upon us. I mean, it's our namesake. But if it happens, there is no way that we can stop Disney, no matter how hard we try. It's funny. This is sort of turning into the original trilogy, only there aren't as many planets, spaceships, or species. But we will come out strong in the end, making Disney's (the Empire's) franchise crumble at it's roots.

I like this analogy.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Bane wrote:

I'm not 100% sure I understand this right. But if I do, I disagree. These might be good movies. These might be amazing movies. If they disregard our precious novel and comic collections, I myself am fine with it. But I'm not going to try to collapse the roots of the Disney Star Wars franchise just because it doesn't take into account the EU. If these are excellent movies, I'll probably see them multiple times in theatres, buy the blu-rays, and whatever nu-EU they put out.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

How would you feel if the movies were total EU adaptations, but those adaptations were Jedi prince, Crystal Star and Dark Nest?
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:57 am Reply with quote  

Woohoo! WARU! Long live the golden one!

Hey, I like Crystal Star, I'm good with that. Dark Nest would be like a Starship Troopers/Star Wars crossover. Jedi Prince? I mean, that series is so over the top, it could be hilarious. Hairy Hutts, evil whalers, Moffs with blaster ear rings. It would be a comedy. Laughing

A bit more seriously, I wouldn't even waste my time day dreaming about the film franchise taking the books and comics seriously. They obviously don't, so why waste my time or give myself false hope? It doesn't help any that I like the books way more than the movies. Episode VII is like a looming phantasm.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
How would you feel if the movies were total EU adaptations, but those adaptations were Jedi prince, Crystal Star and Dark Nest?

I myself wouldn't want that, but I would've been in favour of film adaptations of any and all EU stories (via straight-to-DVD animated movies, for example).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 23 of 33