To Spoil or Not to Spoil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
To Spoil or Not to Spoil
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Now that Celebration is here and spoilers for The Force Awakens are finally starting to come in, what is your spoiler policy going to be going forward? Are you going to look at every possible detail you can get your hands on? Are you going to look at some stuff and not others? Are you going to look at spoilers up to a certain point and then pull back?

Me? I've chosen to avoid any and all spoilers leading up to the release of The Force Awakens. I got a nice teaser last December and that's all I need. I know my mission is doomed to failure, at least at some level, because spoilers are going to be everywhere, but I think it's worth it to be able to walk into this movie as fresh as possible.

I'll probably be more lenient for future films, but I want this one to be a surprise. I don't think we're going to have this level of uncertainty about a Star Wars film ever again.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Re: To Spoil or Not to Spoil
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Now that Celebration is here and spoilers for The Force Awakens are finally starting to come in, what is your spoiler policy going to be going forward? Are you going to look at every possible detail you can get your hands on? Are you going to look at some stuff and not others? Are you going to look at spoilers up to a certain point and then pull back?

Me? I've chosen to avoid any and all spoilers leading up to the release of The Force Awakens. I got a nice teaser last December and that's all I need. I know my mission is doomed to failure, at least at some level, because spoilers are going to be everywhere, but I think it's worth it to be able to walk into this movie as fresh as possible.

I'll probably be more lenient for future films, but I want this one to be a surprise. I don't think we're going to have this level of uncertainty about a Star Wars film ever again.

I watched the new trailer, and when they put out another trailer I'll watch that too. I won't watch full scenes, nor will I intentionally seek out news.

I'll probably read the prelude comics, but only AFTER I see the movie.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm a spoiler whore.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I am going to ride the standard consumer train as if I only "liked" sw instead of........well you all know what's up your on a forum board for sw too. I will watch the trailers, I'll read the comics and books put out to "get you ready" but will not dive into spoilers at all. I want to continue to be wowed about sw for as long as I can!

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

General overview of the plot and characters, as well as information on the galaxy leading up to and perhaps including film era. So basically what's released by LFL and Disney, save for the novelizations. But specifics beyond that are a no go for me.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:54 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

When Revenge of the SIth came out, I was 16, and I grabbed any spoiler I could find. And I didn't regret it at all. That was so much fun to speculate, how the film will be.
And if I went into the cinema without knowing anything about the story, I would have been totally shocked, I think. Not because the film is bad, but because the story is... intense, to say the least.

So I will do the same for all kind of SW films in the future, I think. Although I won't have time to read any books or comics, only plot summaries, if they will be available.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I only do that for adaptations. I was ridiculously spoiled for the last two Narnia movies and, like you, I didn't regret it at all. If you have a good fan site, the anticipation can be a blast.

I've gotten more and more guarded with original stories over the years though, to the point where I rarely watch trailers for movies I'm anticipating.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I guess it depends on your definition of spoiler. To me a spoiler is a movie's ending, or crucial plot point revealed by people who have seen the movie before you, or revealed material through leaks.

Promotional and advertising material, and even reviews are not spoilers to me. But to some people a spoiler is any information about the movie at all. I think that's a little weird.

I don't get why people would want to see a movie without any info, I mean like literally, how do you know you want to watch it if you don't know what it's about?

I almost always want to hear at least my friends opinion before seeing a movie because I don't want to waste my time with something I know I won't like.

I don't really care all that much about TFA, but I keep up on most of the news just so I can be a part of the conversation here and around the watercooler aka. facebook.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I guess it depends on your definition of spoiler. To me a spoiler is a movie's ending, or crucial plot point revealed by people who have seen the movie before you, or revealed material through leaks.

Technically, I define a spoiler as anything in the last 2/3 of a movie.

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Promotional and advertising material, and even reviews are not spoilers to me. But to some people a spoiler is any information about the movie at all. I think that's a little weird.

I stay away from reviews and Rotten Tomato scores until after I've seen a movie and have formed my own opinion on it.

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I don't get why people would want to see a movie without any info, I mean like literally, how do you know you want to watch it if you don't know what it's about?

I only do it for movies I know I'm going to see regardless. Star Wars, Nolan movies, Pixar movies etc. I'll usually watch a trailer otherwise, though I have had some great theatre experiences going into a movie blind. I like not knowing what to expect sometimes. Sometimes I'll just hear positive buzz about a movie and then go to see it just based off that. It all depends. Every movie is different.

I just think it would be an amazing experience to go into TFA with as little knowledge as possible. I might be able to recapture just a bit of that magic when I saw Star Wars for the first time and everything was new and exciting.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote  

I'm avoiding spoilers to an extent. I'll probably stop watching the trailer just to not overdo it, and I couldn't resist going to The Force Awakens Exhibit at SWCA, but I'm not going to start listening to spoiler podcasts and searching for sites with spoilers. The less I know, the better.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 1