Would you like a Kenobi trilogy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Would you like a Kenobi trilogy?
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

OB1 is my favorite character from the prequels. I loved Ewan as OB1. There has already been rumors that there may be a Kenobi trilogy. And, how about the fan theories of Rey (from TFA) being Kenobi's granddaughter? Well, I took those ideas and my love of the EU and ran with them.

Things to keep in mind:

1. KK said that the saga is, and will be, about the Skywalker's. While Ben Solo is technically part Skywalker, I don't think that is what she meant. I think Rey is a Skywalker.

2. At present, TFA and most of the new canon stuff does not connect too much to the PT.

3. Pablo Hidalgo, in discussing the Legends title, said that they called it Legends because there is some truth in it. Even the last preview trailer for the 2nd half of Rebels' season 2 states that there is some truth in legends.

So, with that said, here is an idea I put together for a trilogy of Kenobi films...

First movie. Set just a few years after delivering Luke and Leia to the Lars. On a fateful trip to Mos Eisley, Ben Kenobi encounters someone he knows and with whom he fought in the Clone War. Desperate to avoid the Empire and, even worse, ex-Darth Maul, she asks Ben to help her. Little do they know that Maul has tracked Bo-Katan to Tatooine. Kenobi agrees to help her. They have a moment of intimacy, Ben fights Maul to allow her to escape. She does, but the Empire finds her a couple years later...with a daughter. The Empire kills the mother but is under orders to deliver the child to the Inquisitors. End of first movie.

Second movie. Set between ESB and RotJ. The daughter is a young beautiful redhead, but is dangerous. The Inquisitors discovered her force sensitivity and train her to be a spy. She is so good that the Emperor himself takes an interest in her. He, personally, gives her a secret mission. He has her steal the plans of the second death star and gets them to the Alliance's Bothan spies. At the same time, she tips off the Imperial forces that allow most of the Bothan spy ring to be killed. The Emperor praises her for a job well done, but she keeps her true feelings hidden. Deep down she doesn't like what she is doing. The last Bothan spy delivers the plans to Mon Mothma. The Emperor gives the woman a new mission...find and kill Luke Skywalker. End of second movie.

Third movie. Set several years after RotJ. The woman is a now a soldier of the New Republic. After the destruction of the 2nd death star she believed her master was dead and decided to complete her last mission. Over the years she has infiltrated the Rebel Alliance and now, New Republic with the goal of getting close to Luke Skywalker. However, he has been elusive thus far because he's been searching for jedi temples and has started training his sister and her very young son. She finds out that Luke is looking for more people with force sensitivity that he could train and submits herself for training. The training, however, brings out the good in her and, slowly she falls in love with Luke. This makes her somewhat conflicted, which Luke senses. Things happen, her and Luke get married and it ends with the birth of their daughter...Rey.

That's it. So Rey would be Kenobi's granddaughter as well as a Skywalker. And, obviously, her mother is modeled after Mara Jade, though, in the new canon could have a different name.

I also have an idea that, in order to actually continue the Skywalker name going past Ep. IX, in 8 or 9 we'll discover that: a. Luke's wife took their son with her into hiding, both were presumed dead when the Knights of Ren attacked the jedi. Or, b. Luke and his wife had a son after Rey, but the mother is dead. Either way, the son is revealed in 9 to fight along with Rey to defeat Snoke (whom I still think is Palpatine).

So...what do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Very interesting ideas. I would love to see McGregor return as Obi-Wan as he was also my favourite character from the PT (though if we're including TCW, I might have to give it to Anakin). Also, I'm down with anything that will bring Mara Jade into the new canon.

However, I have two objections:

1. I don't like the idea of Obi-Wan having a child. I know the Jedi Order has been destroyed, but I feel like Obi-Wan would still want to be a good Jedi and not have a romantic relationship. Though good call on Bo Katan being Mara's mother!

2. The third film would likely mean re-casting Luke, and probably Leia, and I really don't like that idea. I know we're already getting a new Han Solo, but I've also been against that from day one. They could make a trilogy of animated films, which I would get behind, but that would also mean not seeing Ewan McGregor reprise his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi.

EDIT: I forgot about the last part. It may seem silly, but I really want the Skywalker name to continue. It just wouldn't be the same without it. They might find an in-universe way to justify Rey passing on the name since we don't know that much about how things like that work in the Star Wars universe (at least in the new canon). But, yeah, revealing a second child of Luke's, if Rey is even his daughter, would be another way. That's the biggest reason I was hoping Domhnall Gleeson was going to be Luke's son after the cast was announced. Now that I've seen the movie and I know who Gleeson's character is, I don't foresee General Hux being Luke's son. Razz

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reep, glad you like the ideas.

As for OB1 having a child, we know from TCW that he had a romantic relationship of sorts with Satine. And in Ep.2 Anakin tells Padme that jedi are forbidden attachments. That doesn't exclude them from having feelings for someone or intimate encounters. Many times, when two people go through a tough time together romantic feelings surface and may lead to an intimate encounter. That's the idea I had for OB1 and Bo-Katan. In TCW they fought together and even shared a loss together. In this idea they'll share more tough times...which will lead them to an intimate encounter that happens to result in her being pregnant. But OB1 never learns that he has a daughter.

One thing I like in multi part stories is that each new part changes the way you see previous parts. ESB changed the way you saw ANH...as did RotJ. My intent with these ideas is to change the way you see the PT, TCW, the OT, and TFA. Do you think these ideas do that?

I agree with you about recasting. I didn't want a Han Solo movie (nor a Boba Fett one) because Han's not my favorite character and I don't like the idea of recasting. However, in the case of OB1, Ewan did an awesome job as a younger OB1. Still, recasting the main characters after RotJ might not be a good idea. So, I think animation would actually work pretty well. Ewan did the voice in TFA, he may want to reprise that in animation? Or JAT does an awesome OB1.

The Skywalkers are my favorite characters and I, too, want to see their line continue. It's one of the reasons I loved the Legacy comics. I had thought about Rey being an only child and having a son without being married, so that boy would continue the Skywalker name. But I also like the idea of a Rey having a brother out there that we don't find out about until Ep.9. If memory serves, originally Leia wasn't Luke's sister, but he had a sister that didn't appear until the 3rd trilogy. Then he and her would together finally defeat the Emperor (who also wasn't supposed to show up until the 3rd trilogy). So, in a sense, my idea keeps that original concept from GL...not that I'm a GL worshipper. I'm not. I think he totally blew it by killing Padme in RotS which messes up Leia's line in RotJ.

Finally, I, too, thought the Gleeson was going to be Luke's son that infiltrated the First Order. After seeing TFA...I no longer think that's a possibility. I think Hux is the Tarkin of the ST. Or????? Could Snoke be manipulating Hux and Hux still be Luke's son?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

This sounds very, very interesting. I feel like I want this to be a thing. Like a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Thanks, Bane. Now if only I were on the Story Group. (wishful thinking)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skywalker2B wrote:
As for OB1 having a child, we know from TCW that he had a romantic relationship of sorts with Satine. And in Ep.2 Anakin tells Padme that jedi are forbidden attachments. That doesn't exclude them from having feelings for someone or intimate encounters. Many times, when two people go through a tough time together romantic feelings surface and may lead to an intimate encounter. That's the idea I had for OB1 and Bo-Katan. In TCW they fought together and even shared a loss together. In this idea they'll share more tough times...which will lead them to an intimate encounter that happens to result in her being pregnant. But OB1 never learns that he has a daughter.

Obi-Wan seemed to suppress his attraction towards Satine though. It's never made explicit that Jedi are celibate in the films. I've just always assumed it. Though, put another way, Obi-Wan doesn't seem like the type to have a one night stand. Razz

Skywalker2B wrote:
One thing I like in multi part stories is that each new part changes the way you see previous parts. ESB changed the way you saw ANH...as did RotJ. My intent with these ideas is to change the way you see the PT, TCW, the OT, and TFA. Do you think these ideas do that?

Well, it certainly adds a connection from the PT to the ST which I definitely appreciate.

Skywalker2B wrote:
The Skywalkers are my favorite characters and I, too, want to see their line continue. It's one of the reasons I loved the Legacy comics. I had thought about Rey being an only child and having a son without being married, so that boy would continue the Skywalker name. But I also like the idea of a Rey having a brother out there that we don't find out about until Ep.9. If memory serves, originally Leia wasn't Luke's sister, but he had a sister that didn't appear until the 3rd trilogy. Then he and her would together finally defeat the Emperor (who also wasn't supposed to show up until the 3rd trilogy). So, in a sense, my idea keeps that original concept from GL...not that I'm a GL worshipper. I'm not. I think he totally blew it by killing Padme in RotS which messes up Leia's line in RotJ.

That's interesting because so far TFA has used two rejected OT concepts that were thrown around at one point: Han Solo dying and Luke going into exile after RotJ. It could happen.

Skywalker2B wrote:
Finally, I, too, thought the Gleeson was going to be Luke's son that infiltrated the First Order. After seeing TFA...I no longer think that's a possibility. I think Hux is the Tarkin of the ST. Or????? Could Snoke be manipulating Hux and Hux still be Luke's son?

Nah, I don't see it. Hux just seems too... slimy to be a Skywalker. And the Visual Dictionary says that Hux's father was Brendol Hux, though I suppose he could have been adopted.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reepicheep wrote:
Skywalker2B wrote:

Obi-Wan seemed to suppress his attraction towards Satine though. It's never made explicit that Jedi are celibate in the films. I've just always assumed it. Though, put another way, Obi-Wan doesn't seem like the type to have a one night stand. Razz

Like I said, the intent is to change the way you see previous material. Wink

Reepicheep wrote:
Skywalker2B wrote:

Nah, I don't see it. Hux just seems too... slimy to be a Skywalker. And the Visual Dictionary says that Hux's father was Brendol Hux, though I suppose he could have been adopted.

Bummer. I haven't read, or even seen, the Visual Dictionary. I guess I should.

I sent these ideas to TheForceCast to see what they think. In the process I've expanded the ideas for the first movie to better connect it with RotS, ANH, and the new Marvel comics....

First movie. Set just a few years after OB1 delivers Luke and Leia to the Lars. Now going by Ben, he is very lonely and just beginning to be able to commune with Qui-Gon. On a fateful trip to Mos Eisley, Ben Kenobi encounters someone he knows and with whom he fought in the Clone War. She’s in trouble. Desperate to avoid the Empire and, even worse, ex-Darth Maul, she asks Ben to help her. Little do they know that Maul has tracked Bo-Katan to Tatooine. Kenobi agrees to help her. Various patrons of Mos Eisley try to capture Bo-Katan, but, together, they manage to evade capture. This is an extended sequence of different chases and close calls which force OB1 and Bo-Katan to rely on each other to get through it. This is where OB1 learns that Mos Eisley is a wretched hive of scum and villainy…and learns that caution is required. There’s a point where the odds seem overwhelming, but for the moment they are safe. They have a moment of intimacy. It doesn’t last long when Maul finds them. Ben fights Maul to allow her to escape. After an intense battle in which both are wounded, Maul realizes that OB1is not his real target, so he escapes. Bo-Katan was able to escape off planet. A few years later, OB1 is sitting alone on a large rock in the desert. He is watching Luke from a distance and finishes writing an entry in a journal (yes, the one from the Marvel comics). He closes the journal, calms himself, and calls to Qui-Gon. He asks Qui-Gon, “Tell me how you are able to talk to me.” In another part of the galaxy, the Empire finds Bo-Katan...with a daughter. The Imperials kill the mother but are under orders to deliver the child to the Inquisitors. End of first movie.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

[quote="Reepicheep"]
Skywalker2B wrote:

That's interesting because so far TFA has used two rejected OT concepts that were thrown around at one point: Han Solo dying and Luke going into exile after RotJ. It could happen.

Ok, I found it! It was Gary Kurtz who revealed the original story outline for the 9 films. It's where we find out that Leia wasn't supposed to be Luke's sister and the Emperor didn't appear until Ep.9. See the link here: http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/gary_kurtz_reveals_original_plans_for_episodes_19_80270.asp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I would LOVE to see Ewan put the robes back on! Best part of the OT without question, but a trilogy?! We might be getting carried away here, oh I would be all about it, but maybe something else..... What about an in between PT and OT trilogy? Still get lots of obi, but broader perhaps? Hummmmmmm

(Lol look at us getting 6 new SW movies in 6 years and already getting greedy!!)

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

1337Jedi, keep in mind that Disney has already said that they intend to do a SW movie every year for the foreseeable future. Pretty much as long as they are profitable, they'll keep making them.

Also, this idea only has OB1 in the first movie/tv movie (or whatever media). The other two are only "related" to Kenobi.

If, and that's a huge if, this idea were to be picked up and developed we wouldn't see anything of it until sometime after 2020. There is a good possibility that Disney's focus will have moved on from the OT to the ST and beyond by then.

I thought of something else that could be added into "part two".

- It opens with the daughter in training. She is on the Death Star for some special training and is walking down a corridor. She's walking past a hangar where a YT-1300 freighter is sitting and notices some blaster fire. Across the way, in the distance, she sees Darth Vader with his red lightsaber dueling some old man in a brown cloak with a blue lightsaber. They are too far away for her to make out any details, but she sees Vader cut the other down with his saber. She's glad that Vader was able to defeat his challenger, but feels something strange inside her. A couple moments later the freighter takes off and escapes. Not knowing what to think of the strange feeling she had, she turns and continues on her way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I also thought that perhaps the force, now that OB1 is part of it, would reveal to him that he has a daughter. At first I was thinking that it would be shortly after Vader strikes him down, after he tells Luke to run. I was thinking as the girl walks away the audience hears a very faint OB1 voice say "I have a daughter?". It's clear that the girl doesn't hear that. But then I thought that might be too early. I thought what if somehow, through the force, Yoda learns of OB1's daughter, but doesn't say anything to OB1? Then, the line "No, there is another" could have a completely different meaning, and could better fit with TFA if Leia was never trained as a jedi. Yoda could have been referring to OB1's daughter, but OB1, as he tells Luke in RotJ, thought Yoda was talking about Leia. Again, the idea is to change the way we see the previous movies.

Still another idea is for OB1 to discover, through the force, about his daughter only when she rejects the dark side and embraces the light while training with Luke. When the dark side is no longer "hiding" her, the force allows OB1 to discover that she is his daughter. That, of course, would be in the third part of the story. If it happened that way, maybe OB1 could reveal himself to her as her father. She could then flashback to that scene from part 2 where she saw him struck down by Vader and that suddenly has a different meaning for her.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

While cleverly connected with previous material and not the worst way of shoehorning Mara Jade back in, I find this idea problematic for several reasons.

-It is already a stretch for perfect Jedi BenObi to have sexual encounters at all, let alone for him to plow his way through the Kryze family daughters like this. It carries unfortunate implications that isn't in the Obi spirit at all, IMO.

-Small Universe Syndrome. Hardly the first time for this franchise, admittedly, but that certainly isn't a reason to keep pushing for it.

-An extension of the above, Rey being a Skywalker/Kenobi and of Mando/Jedi legacy as well sounds like bad fanfiction. With royalty on two sides, no less! She is enough of a Mary Sue as it is. At some point it pays to stop piling cool legacies onto a single character, lest you come out on the other side and turn her lame instead. This is soap opera fare, but even for a space opera, I think there should be limits.

-Finally, three movies seems to be pushing it. That sort of thing should be reserved for saga movies IMO. If only out of reverence and respect. The spinoff should not overtake the main story. Besides, depending on the making of three movies for the sake of completing the plot, and this before the first has even proven itself worthwhile, sounds like a both risky and unwise proposition. If anything fails along the way, you stand there with a clearly unfinished story.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

@DarthMRN,

Just curious, what are your thoughts on Rey's backstory?

In the comic, Shattered Empire, which is considered canon...on par with the movies, Poe's mother goes on a mission with not only Leia, but Luke as well. Then in TFA, we see Poe working for Leia. Do you consider that "small universe syndrome"?

To me, these stories just help add to the importance of Rey, not overshadow the saga.

Also, I did say that these stories don't have to be films. They could be tv shows, comics, or books. So, again, it's just telling more of the story, not overshadowing the saga.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm only aware of, or indeed care about, what is alluded to in her vision: That she is most likely Luke's daughter, was present for the Jedi massacre and hidden away, likely by Kylo Ben. Luke having a kid wth some rando woman does not count as small universe syndrome, if that is what you are getting at.

But that comic you mention, that is absolutely an example of it. Though it makes a bit of sense since it creates a reason for the Poe family to be affiliated with the Rebels and Leia, whereas Mara Kryze-Kenobi just happening upon Luke and falling for him without guidance from her parents is quite a bit more so.
In any case, hearing that thing about Poe's mother just makes me glad I don't care about the NU.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:51 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

DarthMRN wrote:
...whereas Mara Kryze-Kenobi just happening upon Luke and falling for him without guidance from her parents is quite a bit more so.
In any case, hearing that thing about Poe's mother just makes me glad I don't care about the NU.

This comment seems to indicate that you didn't read my entire idea before commenting about it. Kenobi didn't know he had a daughter before sacrificing himself, Bo-Katan is also killed when her daughter is very young...so no parental guidance could be available. She's raised by the Empire, trained by the Inquisitors and serves the Emperor. The Emperor, who also knows about Luke and is interested in him, sends her after him. So she doesn't "just happen" upon Luke, she actively seeks him. Her feelings and the light side in her change her actions though (somewhat different than Ben Solo).

Question: When you said "some rando woman", was that supposed to be "random" or "mando"? Are you saying that Luke having a daughter with some random woman wouldn't be small universe? Or that Luke having a daughter with a mando woman wouldn't be small universe? It that latter, Bo and Kenobi's daughter wouldn't be a mando woman because she was not raised as a mandolorian. If you meant a random woman, I don't think that really works either. That gives the impression that Luke "sleeps around" or something, that Rey's mother isn't significant. I don't think that concept really fits with Star Wars.

My guess was that lean on the side of being more of a movie purist...meaning if it's not in a movie it's not canon. Coming from that point of view, I could see you not liking my idea. That's ok. To each his own. But I don't think that is really the case. If so, why would you even be here in a EU forum?

I agree with you in that I too think Rey is Luke's daughter, that she was present at the jedi massacre and that it was Kylo Ren/Ben Solo that deposited her on Jakku with Unkar Plutt because he couldn't bring himself to kill her. Again, though, out of curiosity, how do you think they'll explain her mother?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 2