Stand Alone Films
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stand Alone Films
 PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:48 am Reply with quote  

From StarWars.com

Quote:
In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in Monsters earned him the high-profile spot directing this year's smash hit Godzilla.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life -- join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited and honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm," said Edwards.

Gary Whitta's screenwriting credits include 2010's The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of The Walking Dead.

Whitta states, "From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth, is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."

Source: http://starwars.com/news/gareth-edwards-and-gary-whitta-onboard-for-star-wars-stand-alone-film.html

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Zillo beast movie? Unlikely, but it crossed my mind.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote  

I'll be honest, I thought of the Zillo beat too. However, I also read somewhere that Gareth Edwards likened Godzilla to an anit-hero. Maybe he'll be doing the Boba Fett film (...and Boba could fight a Zillo beast).

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

There were rumors a few months back that a Boba Fett movie was in development, yeah? Seems like the most likely scenario.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Am I the only one that really does NOT want a Fett movie? We already know his origin (see Episode II). Here's an idea for Fett...so, we get a glimpse of Fett in Ep.VII which gets everyone talking..."Wait! Didn't he die in Ep.VI?" Post credits for Ep.VII....

Scene: Tatooine, Great Pit of Carkoon

All is quiet. Camera pans over the area and stops at the wreckage of Jabba's sail barge. The sand has been blown for several days and covered parts of the wreckage. Camera continues to the Sarlacc Pit and stops. Several seconds go by, then suddenly a figure flies out from inside the Sarlacc just past the edge of the sink hole.

It's Fett.

Lying in the sand, most of his overalls are dissolving. His remaining armor is smoking. His jet pack is smoking, obviously the last time it will be used. Fett quickly gets up, takes off his helmet. End.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

So, Edwards says this: ""Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life -- join the Rebel Alliance!"

Why then, would they pick him for a Fett movie? Do you think because he thought of Godzilla as a "anti-hero" that he thinks the same of Fett? I would think that his passion would be better directed to an actual "good guy"/hero movie involving the Alliance or something.

*shrug* I still think that Disney/LFL would want to shift the focus from PT and OT to the ST era once Ep.VII arrives. Leading up to Ep.VII they'll want to have the focus on the OT era to get those kids raised on the PT and TCW familiar with the OT characters. But once VII hits, shift to the ST era. And since the spin offs will be between the Episodes, shouldn't they be based on characters from the ST?

SW:Rebels, the comics, the books, and the games will be there to keep the OT and PT fans engaged. And I'm sure that there will be more tv shows coming. They've already said so.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

It's a rumor, but this would make me very happy. He's a clone! We already know exactly what he should look like.

Boba Fett Movie May Have Hired Very Familiar Face

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote  

Would be cool to see Temuera Morrison in another Star Wars movie.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That would actually be pretty hilarious to see Fett in ep.VII and beyond since Lucas insisted that he was dead and his post ROTJ is now non canon, officially making Disney canon trump G canon.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Not necessarily.

"I am a clone, likemy father before me."

Don't underestimate the power of bad screenwriting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:26 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

i kind of dislike this new approach, no more EU, just you know, it is myth and let's start building anew. And these stand alone movies, if is a Fett one, they will do what, erase what else we know of Fett from EU or just invent something in between the newest trilogy and "A New Hope"?

The new Star Wars brings me a lot of doubt...Always in motion the future is. hope will be a bring future.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

mephizt wrote:
i kind of dislike this new approach, no more EU, just you know, it is myth and let's start building anew. And these stand alone movies, if is a Fett one, they will do what, erase what else we know of Fett from EU or just invent something in between the newest trilogy and "A New Hope"?

The new Star Wars brings me a lot of doubt...Always in motion the future is. hope will be a bring future.

I disagree, but that's just my opinion. I'm looking forward to these new stories, and exploring them without being bogged down with pre-established material (while still being able to draw on what's cool).

Remember that this is not the first time this has happened. Even to Boba Fett. The EU set out his backstory quite clearly before Episode II made him a clone of Jango Fett.

Now, what will suck is if the new story they make is objectively not as good as the Legends backstory.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm all for seeing Temuera Morrison as Boba Fett. I just hope they keep enough of Boba's identity from the EU (e.g. silent, rarely seen without his mask, misanthropic, rough sense of honour). If not it would feel, to me at least, like a guy-with-Boba-Fett-armour movie rather than an actual Boba Fett movie.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
That would actually be pretty hilarious to see Fett in ep.VII and beyond since Lucas insisted that he was dead and his post ROTJ is now non canon, officially making Disney canon trump G canon.

I know I'm in the large minority here, but I always felt he should have died there. I've never understood why he got such a following from the movies. Even as I kid, never cared that much about him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Hoping for an Obi-Wan movie, or maybe even a Han Solo one, would be significantly less excited for Boba Fett. On the Flipside, a KOTOR or TOR movie would be pretty cool (especially since it would canonize the game).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 2