Rouge One

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rouge One
 PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one-is-the-first-star-wars-stand-alone-film-rian-johnson-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-viii

The first Star Wars spin-off film will be titled Rogue One. That would seem to indicate a Rogue Squadron-based film, which sounds really cool.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

It's funny how two words can get me excited over a film. And I haven't seen Felicity Jones in, I think, anything since The Worst Witch, but I liked her in that so yay.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

ANH: Luke, Red Five, is the Hero of Yavin. Wedge the other survivor of that squadron.
ESB: Wedge Antilles is Rogue Two.

Implication: Rogue One is Luke Skywalker, even in the Lucasverse.

Mark Hamill too dang old to portray his ESB-era self.
Mark Hamill is present in VII to compare to, making a recast untenable.

Disney probably wants connection between Rogue One and TFA.

Implication: Rogue One is a movie about someone else holding that callsign, closer to the TFA era.

Plot convenience for the sake of marketing: Rogue One still being a title 30 years later when even the roguish rebels changed the name of the squadron in a matter of years. With no guarantee their superiors are even rebels anymore, rather than a legit government.

Conclusion: Name is an appeal to EU and video game X-Wing fans, at the expense of precedent and in-universe sense.
And if not, and it has nothing to do with Rogue Squadron, the title makes no sense on any level.

I'm wary of Disney whoring out SW for money and PR only. Even GL had some artistic whims allowed to trump anything. Even he didn't make a title solely to sell toys.

Disney better make movies that are legitimately good. Cause that is the only potential upside at this point. And I mean better than Marvel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Crazy theory of the day:

Rogue One is an Ewok pilot. Wink

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote  

Rumor mill has this one being about bounty hunters and the Death Star plans set before A New Hope. Now if the rumor mill is wrong, then yeah, bring on the Ewok Pilot Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-rogue-one-composer/

Looks like Alexandre Desplat will compose the score. I like this choice. Desplat's score for the last two Harry Potter films was beautiful, and he did a really good job incorporating John Williams's original theme.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I heard an interesting theory on a podcast that maybe Rogue Squadron is needed to be reformed for some reason either just before TFA or during the ST era. Wedge will have moved on, or died, and a new Rogue Leader/One heads up the squadron. It's also been speculated that the Rogues are closer to the Wraiths in that they're not just pilots but soldiers as well.

Interestingly, a group I'm in a couple years ago wrote fan fic about our characters being soldiers first (more like commandoes) and pilots second. We were Alliance Special Forces that not only flew fighters, but did ground missions. So, to us, there is some familiarity with the stuff we worked on and with Rebels and now Rogue One.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 1