DarthMRN's thread for rationalizing stupid stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthMRN's thread for rationalizing stupid stuff
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Hi guys. Don't ask why but I intend to go through lots of SW material looking for glaring plot convenience. But I'll also be open to hearing people try to rationalize stuff I find away. I'm willing to give the material the benefit of the doubt. Feel free to give me your best attempt. I will likely return to this thread over long stretches of time, so hope you aren't scared of necroing.

Starting with TPM for now:

When the Queen's ship leaves Naboo, penetrating the blockade, it is targeted from the front over long ranges. They are clearly far from a screen of Trade Fed ships attacking them from the front. After a few hits doing nothing, suggesting shield hits, the generator gets damaged.

My question: Why? If the shield worked before, and was significant enough to justify emergency repairs so it could protect them after, how did the generator get hit in the first place? How did the Feds penetrate the shield to damage its generator?

If the shield had run out after those first few hits, what good would it do to repair it? It would still be empty of power.

There was no enemy who could have hit them from a different angle potentially not covered by the shield, as all enemies were clearly in front of them and far away at that.

If the weapon was special and could penetrate the shield at will, what good would repairing the generator be anyhow?

I am tempted to chalk this up to the same kind of plot convenience that permits Jedi to kick each other in the shins over and over but not land a lightsaber blow until much later in the battle. But let's see what you can come up with.

Your best take, community.

EDIT: Watching right now, and Ric Olie says the shields are gone AFTER the droids have started working on the generator, meaning it was active the whole time. Do deflector shields only absorb part of a given attack, perhaps? The shield remains, but has "holes" punched in it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Seriously? I'm not one to preach about positivity, but do you even like Star Wars?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have thought about that scene before and can only chalk it up to, it was an awesome way to introduce R2 by showing him preform his "made for purpose" other than just calculating hyper jumps for Luke's X-wing. Either way it's a pretty sweet scene and a pretty exciting moment.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Plinkett, is that you?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:51 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Oh, I love SW. My week basically stopped for a moment when the new trailer came out, so no question about that. Granted, what I first fell in love with had fewer instances of glaring plot convenience than TPM, but hey, I'm still here expending considerable mental resources, so I guess I kinda love it too.

Yeah, even if I'm right that shields simply have holes punched in them, the scene clearly serves the twofold purpose of forcing an emergency landing on Tatooine and leaving R2 the only droid left for Quigs to bring with him to Watto. It's just a matter of how much sense it makes on its own, and frankly, the "holes punched through" option is pretty darn good in that regard, leaving very little plot convenience unaccounted for. I'll just have to keep it in mind for later scenes with deflector shields and see if it holds up.

Hah. Speaking of Plinkett, anyone wanna tackle the very next instance? The one where, immediately after R2 fixes the shields, the Feds mysteriously stop shooting anyway? While the ship is well within range, almost on top of the nearest Fed ship.
I'm almost positive that has to be plot convenience with no possible rationalization, but let's hear whatever you got anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
what I first fell in love with had fewer instances of glaring plot convenience than TPM

The conveniences have always been there though. Leia is Luke's sister. Vader is Luke's father. Small galaxy! Leia, who realized they had a tracking beacon on the Falcon, let Han fly straight to the Rebel base on Yavin IV. Luke receives next to no training (a little from Obi-Wan, a little from Yoda) and is able to take down Vader in RotJ. Why the blazes doesn't someone have Luke change his last name so the Empire doesn't find him and kill him? Why do stormtroopers wear armour? Why does Obi-Wan describe stromtrooper marksmanship as "precise" when they never hit anything? How do these characters not have post-traumatic stress disorder (among other things Luke sees the charred remains of his aunt and uncle and his mentor killed before his eyes and Leia watches her freaking planet and everyone she loves get blown up)? How could Han make the Kessel Run in under twelve parsecs if a parsec is a unit of distance?

It's just the way of the beast. Star Wars is romantic story-telling that you're supposed to feel rather than analyze under a microscope. It doesn't hold up, but then, I don't think it's supposed to.

Watch this interview and think about it. If Hamill was describing the prequels, Plinkett & co. would shred it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Hey, stop getting ahead of me! This is my thread for listing plot convenience when I find it. Make your own. Laughing

In seriousness, you seem to think I'm complaining. If I found these things unreasonable I wouldn't still be here. As I said, I have my reasons, and this thread is for the sake of eliminating rational explanations before definitely putting stuff in the plot convenience bin. I just can't think of every possible explanation myself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 1