New Legacy Comics!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Legacy Comics!
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

It has been announced, as I'm sure you're aware, that there will be a new series of Legacy comics brought to us by Dark Horse in 2013, and will star the great granddaughter of Han and Leia. Written by Corinna Bechko and Gabriel Hardma, it will be set 100 years after the movies (the OT, I feel I now have to clarify).

EUC Article

Source Article

And here's a look at the cover for issue #1.

Let the speculation begin!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I find this interesting as the time frame seems to put it before the original Legacy comics, yet it's slated as a sequel. It's probable that the 100 years thing is just to provide a nice, round number to entice new readers.

Also, to the best of my knowledge it was never stated that the Fels are the descendants of Jaina and Jagged, so it may be that we'll get a definitive answer to that - perhaps one that is in the negative. That they aren't descendants, direct or otherwise.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's a gorgeous cover. And I'm loving that we finally care about the Solo's descendants and not just the Skywalkers.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Life Is The Path wrote:
I find this interesting as the time frame seems to put it before the original Legacy comics, yet it's slated as a sequel. It's probable that the 100 years thing is just to provide a nice, round number to entice new readers.

Also, to the best of my knowledge it was never stated that the Fels are the descendants of Jaina and Jagged, so it may be that we'll get a definitive answer to that - perhaps one that is in the negative. That they aren't descendants, direct or otherwise.

The original source article uses the phrase "over 100 years" so there's no real indication either way.

In fact the whole article is vague, other than things occurring in roughly the same time frame. So could be a prequel, concurrent, or sequel. And whether or not we'll see any of the same characters from the first run is completely unknown.

Admittedly, it is never stated explicitly that the Fels are the descendants of Jaina and Jag. However, given that his Jag's two older brothers (Chak and Davin) are both dead, that leaves only Cem Fel as another option to carry on that line (which for the time being we can assume is related somehow). The chance of him leaving the Chiss Assendancy, marrying (or at least having children with) a force-sensitive, and then ruling the Empire are extremely unlikely.

Also, something that a lot of people are ignoring here is that the first Emperor Roan Fel is hinted to be force sensitive. At some point it is mentioned that one of the Imperial Guard's main missions is to prevent their emperor falling to the dark side. Its fairly unlikely that Jag would have had that condition given that he isn't force sensitive. This suggests that its an offspring who becomes the first Fel Emperor. Which then really makes the timeline of emperors difficult to understand, but putting it out there.

It is possible that there's no relation, but I don't think any of us can believe that.

That said, given this is the great-grand-daughter of Han and Leia we can figure out that this cannot be Marisha Fel. Jaina would be the daughter, offspring would be granddaughter, so unless this is a sister of Roan Fel (Marisha's father) it can't be one of that family.

What makes even less sense would be for it to be the daughter of Amelia's.

Between those two, and based on the appearance of the character on the cover, I'm thinking that this occurs before the events of the Legacy comics we're familiar with, and probably focuses on either Roan's Sister or Amelia's eventual daughter.

Either way I think we'll get a lot more information on heritage since it will be closer to the characters we know by at least a generation.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Is anyone else sort of relaxing since it looks like despite the fact that new movies are coming out that will have nothing to do with the EU (to the point of ignoring it) we will still have our EU and our canon, and now that its going this way they may not be shoe-horning anything else in?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
Admittedly, it is never stated explicitly that the Fels are the descendants of Jaina and Jag.

It was stated that Jag was the first Fel emperor so it can't be another. No mention was ever made of who the empress was.

Also, I doubt it's a prequel. There are Jedi and Sith dueling in that image. The One Sith didn't reveal themselves until 127 ABY. I'm skeptical that the sith would be Lost Tribe but I guess it's possible. I think that'd be kind of a cheat though.

If it's a sequel, no matter how you work it the math just does not work for either Jaina or Allana. I'm wondering if the great grandchild thing is a mistake. Really, it should be a great great grandchild if it's a Legacy sequel or a concurrent story with Legacy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Is anyone else sort of relaxing since it looks like despite the fact that new movies are coming out that will have nothing to do with the EU (to the point of ignoring it) we will still have our EU and our canon, and now that its going this way they may not be shoe-horning anything else in?

Sort of relaxing is the key. If Lucas, Disney etc. have their own universe and the Expanded Universe have their own universe, I would be happy. I'd stick with the EU and Lucas/Disney can screw up their universe to their heart's content. We could start getting some really good stories if Del Rey, Dark Horse etc. didn't have to constantly look over their shoulders to see what's happening in TCW, the new movies etc. I thought continuity would be dead, because of this, but it could actually be stronger than ever... there would just be two of them.

The question is if this is the direction Lucas, Disney, Del Rey etc. want to go. It could be pretty confusing to new fans (like having two Anakins in-universe could never dream of being) and I'm really not sure if they would want to do that, but I doubt it.

If this happened, does that mean that Apocalypse and all of its Mortis abominations could be retconned? Please, of please, say yes.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cerrinea wrote:
Quote:
Admittedly, it is never stated explicitly that the Fels are the descendants of Jaina and Jag.

It was stated that Jag was the first Fel emperor so it can't be another. No mention was ever made of who the empress was.

Source? I've seen people mention that this was stated at some point, but I have never come across the original reference.

Cerrinea wrote:
Also, I doubt it's a prequel. There are Jedi and Sith dueling in that image. The One Sith didn't reveal themselves until 127 ABY. I'm skeptical that the sith would be Lost Tribe but I guess it's possible. I think that'd be kind of a cheat though.

Just because its a red lightsaber, does not not necessarily guarantee its a sith (vs. other dark-sider); and even if we assume that it is a sith, there's no guarantee that its either from the lost tribe or one sith.

That said, I'm basing my speculation on the great granddaughter thing that you mentioned:

Cerrinea wrote:
If it's a sequel, no matter how you work it the math just does not work for either Jaina or Allana. I'm wondering if the great grandchild thing is a mistake. Really, it should be a great great grandchild if it's a Legacy sequel or a concurrent story with Legacy.

That's why I speculate a prequel as a possibility. If its missing a great, then sequel makes lots of sense. Though who precisely the main character is becomes more complicated as if she's a Fel descendent, it would be odd for her not to appear in the first run.

Caedus_16 wrote:

Still not impossible to make the two work together. If Ep VII is set in either the 6 year gap between NJO and DN, or the 4 year gap between DN and LOTJ, then the original cast are almost exactly the same age as the characters they portray. (and we'd get to see Jacen and Mara alive)

That still fits with a female Skywalker descendent being the main character if they focus on Jaina as the protagonist. Which would be a good fit with the EU.

Similarly, they could set things in 45ABY post Crucible and not have any canon difficulties.

Either option would minimize any possible conflicts with existing material.

Reepicheep wrote:
If this happened, does that mean that Apocalypse and all of its Mortis abominations could be retconned? Please, of please, say yes.

I have really yet to figure out what it was you (and many others) dislike so much about Mortis. So Abeloth is some force-imbued embodiment of evil that shows up in times of disaster.....Fail to see a huge problem here.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Darth_Henning: To tell you the truth I don't really remember that well, because I've banished Mortis from my mind (and my continuity). I believe it was because it flew in the face of what we knew about the Chosen One and the light side/dark side. I have always thought that "bringing balance to the Force" meant destroying the dark side, but in Mortis it was about getting the dark side and the light side to play nice and be equal opposites. But... if that's the case then the ending of RotJ is total bilge water. If Luke and his father destroyed the Sith, they were basically committing the same crime as Palpatine. Palpatine destroyed the Jedi, thus bringing the galaxy imbalance. So I assume the Sith being destroyed in RotJ also brings the galaxy imbalance. If that's the case it wrecks the nucleus of Star Wars (the OT).

I think there was more to it than that, but that's all I remember. Honestly, I've been out of the Star Wars loop for about a year now, so I'm really rusty at this sort of thing. I really don't know what the current definition of the Chosen One is.

I don't think Disney would want to shoehorn the movies into the gaps in EU continuity or after, because it still ties their hands in the creative process.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
Source? I've seen people mention that this was stated at some point, but I have never come across the original reference.

It's in one of the Legacy comics. I can't tell you which one exactly because mine are all boxed up. Jag was confirmed as Fel I. Also, it's in the Roan Fel article on Wookie.

Quote:
I have really yet to figure out what it was you (and many others) dislike so much about Mortis. So Abeloth is some force-imbued embodiment of evil that shows up in times of disaster.....Fail to see a huge problem here.

Same here. I don't get it either. The Mortis Trilogy does nothing to change Anakin fulfilling the prophecy of The Chosen One. And Abeloth isn't a problem for me. Troy Denning was asked by Dave Filoni to work the Mortis thing in, and I think he did a good job of it. Abeloth is defeat-able and he left a way for her to be killed with the Mortis dagger.

Quote:
I have always thought that "bringing balance to the Force" meant destroying the dark side

Well there's your problem right there. It's about balance; not total destruction. If you have a light side, you need a dark side to balance it. When one side becomes dominant, the Force seeks to balance it.

Last edited by Cerrinea on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:45 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Same here. I don't get it either. The Mortis Trilogy does nothing to change Anakin fulfilling the prophecy of The Chosen One. And Abeloth isn't a problem for me. Troy Denning was asked by Dave Filoni to work the Mortis thing in, and I think he did a good job of it. Abeloth is defeat-able and he left a way for her to be killed with the Mortis dagger.

*points to previous post*

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Cerrinea wrote:

*points to previous post*

Yeah, I answered that, but you were posting and missed my response, so I'll paste it here.

Quote:
I have always thought that "bringing balance to the Force" meant destroying the dark side

Well there's your problem right there. It's about balance; not total destruction. If you have a light side, you need a dark side to balance it. When one side becomes dominant, the Force seeks to balance it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reepicheep wrote:
@Darth_Henning: To tell you the truth I don't really remember that well, because I've banished Mortis from my mind (and my continuity). I believe it was because it flew in the face of what we knew about the Chosen One and the light side/dark side. I have always thought that "bringing balance to the Force" meant destroying the dark side, but in Mortis it was about getting the dark side and the light side to play nice and be equal opposites. But... if that's the case then the ending of RotJ is total bilge water. If Luke and his father destroyed the Sith, they were basically committing the same crime as Palpatine. Palpatine destroyed the Jedi, thus bringing the galaxy imbalance. So I assume the Sith being destroyed in RotJ also brings the galaxy imbalance. If that's the case it wrecks the nucleus of Star Wars (the OT).

Ah. Now that explanation actually makes sense. First person who's given me a detailed answer. Thank you.

That is an interesting contradiction. Without re-watching Mortis (which I plan to when I watch through all the clone wars over Christmas break), I'll have to just go off memory.

My explanation around that is that its a different interpretation of the same prophecy. Mortis viewed "balance" as a literal term where both light and dark are held in check. The Jedi (and the OT) viewed it more as balancing the good of all people of the galaxy and eliminating the dark side.

Neither invalidates the other, and you're free to interpret the prophecy as you so choose. At least in my mind. And I suspect most would choose to interpret it as the Jedi do.

I'll get back to this topic when I have more concrete comments to make.

Reepicheep wrote:
I don't think Disney would want to shoehorn the movies into the gaps in EU continuity or after, because it still ties their hands in the creative process.

Not really. They can create pretty much any storyline they want (short of blowing up a planet or killing one of 8 characters).

Yes, it limits their ability to create a new Skywalker/Solo character, but that's about it. Between NJO and DN there has never been any indication of what was going on in the Galaxy. Pretty much anything could occur during that period.

Jumping to 45ABY would admittedly be easier, but IMHO ties their hands more given where Jaina and Ben now are in life.

Cerrinea wrote:
Quote:

It's in one of the Legacy comics. I can't tell you which one exactly because mine are all boxed up. Jag was confirmed as Fel I. Also, it's in the Roan Fel article on Wookie.

Huh. According to the article its Legacy 33. I'm going to re-read that tonight. I don't recall there being explicit mention of that. Though admittedly its been probably about two years.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
My explanation around that is that its a different interpretation of the same prophecy. Mortis viewed "balance" as a literal term where both light and dark are held in check. The Jedi (and the OT) viewed it more as balancing the good of all people of the galaxy and eliminating the dark side.

In Stover's ROTS novelization, which was closely overseen by GL and written from the full ROTS script (before movie editing), Mace posits to Obi-Wan that perhaps the Jedi had unbalanced the Force by pouring a thousand years of good deeds into it with no Sith to counter balance it.

I don't think the idea of balance in the Force can be construed down to only Light with no Dark to bring balance. Luke also reaffirms that in The Unifying Force when he says sentience gave rise to darkness in the Force by their acts of darkness. Once darkness enters the equation, the Force has to seek to balance the Light and Dark sides of its nature. Darkness can't just be totally eliminated.

And it never will be. Some sentients will always choose to commit dark deeds; just as others will choose to act in Light.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth_Henning wrote:

It's here:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 4