Boys In Fancy Armor
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boys In Fancy Armor
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Strange title? Well, keep reading! If you're a fan of Karen Traviss, and a die-hard fan of the Republic Commandos themselves, then get ready, Cantina people! Karen Traviss has just signed on to write some more books about boys in fancy armor!

Unfortunately, we're not talking about the Republic Commandos. But we are talking about the Spartans! Already heard this news? Probably. But I just found out today! And I'm beyond ecstatic. The Halo universe is becoming my backup to Star Wars. I love it to death, and the Spartans have claimed a special place in my heart right next to the Commandos. I suppose I have something in common with Traviss there when it comes down to it.

Yes, she has signed on to write several Halo books in the coming years, and here's an excerpt from her blog where she announces it:

"As many of you seem to have heard already, Halo asked me to write some books for them, and because I have the breaking strain of a warm Mars Bar when it comes to top game IPs and nice cheques, I said yes.

Believe it or not, I really have found the backbone to turn down other series featuring heavily armoured, unfeasibly cannoned-up chaps struggling to find their place in an unfriendly world."

This made me chuckle slightly, as we all know who she's referring to there in that last paragraph. Wink

Anyway, if anybody else is excited about this, let me know I'm not alone in this obsession! And if you're not...you should think about becoming so! Karen Traviss writing Halo books? I can't even begin to imagine the potential awesomeness. Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Re: Boys In Fancy Armor
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I've heard nothing but good things about the Halo books and KT's addition to their verse. Some day I'll get to it.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Oh my yes! Yes, it's a sequel to Ghosts Of Onyx, right? I'm not sure how there can be a sequel to that particular book - not spoiling it for those who haven't read it - but she's got a bit of competition on her hands. Do you think she can wrestle the Halo author title from Eric Nylund?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote  

I haven't read any of the Halo books yet, and I'm an avid reader. Perhaps I need someone to convince me to start. Laughing

For starters, should I begin with the first book written and work my way through chronologically or is there some I should (could) skip?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

No, I would definitely recommend reading them in order. There are only 7 to date, so it's not that big of a hurdle. Go in this order:

1. Fall of Reach
2. The Flood
3. First Strike
4. Ghosts of Onyx
5. Contact Harvest
6. The Cole Protocol
7. Cyptum

Read them in release order (as listed above), as that's how they were written. Otherwise one book will spoil another. But I would definitely recommend them! Smile

@Life: Traviss has stated that her book is not actually a sequel to Ghosts of Onyx in the sense that we would think of a sequel. She says it's just a book that follows Ghosts of Onyx in the timeline, but does not take up where Onyx left off. So...I don't think that'll be an issue. Although I sure would like to know what happened to those characters. Sad

As for her taking Nylund's place...that'll be quite the task to accomplish, and I'm not sure it's possible. But I certainly think she'll come as close as anybody possibly could. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
No, I would definitely recommend reading them in order. There are only 7 to date, so it's not that big of a hurdle. Go in this order:

1. Fall of Reach
2. The Flood
3. First Strike
4. Ghosts of Onyx
5. Contact Harvest
6. The Cole Protocol
7. Cyptum

Read them in release order (as listed above), as that's how they were written. Otherwise one book will spoil another. But I would definitely recommend them! Smile

@Life: Traviss has stated that her book is not actually a sequel to Ghosts of Onyx in the sense that we would think of a sequel. She says it's just a book that follows Ghosts of Onyx in the timeline, but does not take up where Onyx left off. So...I don't think that'll be an issue. Although I sure would like to know what happened to those characters. Sad

As for her taking Nylund's place...that'll be quite the task to accomplish, and I'm not sure it's possible. But I certainly think she'll come as close as anybody possibly could. Smile

You left out Halo: Evolutions. Wink

I finally got 'em all this month, so I'll start soon!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Can you still understand the books without having played the video game? If so, I might give them a try.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, cause The Flood is the first game in book form. Well...you wouldn't understand the second game, Halo 2. After that in the timeline, it's assumed that you should know what happened in that game. So basically Ghosts of Onyx isn't going to make any sense without playing Halo 2. But you don't have to play the first game.

So...to start off, you can certainly read the first trilogy without a problem. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skuls, you should definitely start with Fall Of Reach, not just because it's the first published, but because it's perhaps my favourite (coming from the guy who doesn't really do favourites) although if you do play games, and have played Halo: Reach, I should warn you that there are inconsistencies.
Mara, what is Cyptum? A quick search of Halopedia has come up with nothing, although to be honest my ability to search that site has severely decreased since they redesigned it. But that's too bad about it not being a 'traditional' sequel, I did want to know if the thing that closes will ever open up, however, if that means we get stories in the Halo 3 timeline, I can't help but be pretty excited about it. It means I get to listen to my Halo 3 music while reading it!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:06 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Cryptum is the first in the new Forerunner Saga. It's being written by Greg Bear, and Cryptum is scheduled to be released on January 4. However, I saw it at a local Books-A-Million a few days ago. So...seems it's out early.

The Forerunner Trilogy will be about, you guessed it, the Forerunners! Which is exciting, but also confusing.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

At any rate, the Forerunner Trilogy is about the Forerunner vs. Flood war. So that'll be very interesting. Smile

And I'm with you on Ghosts of Onyx, Life. I wish we knew what happened there. However, having stories in that part of the timeline will be exciting all the same. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

[quote="Mara Jade Skywalker"]Cryptum is the first in the new Forerunner Saga. It's being written by Greg Bear, and Cryptum is scheduled to be released on January 4. However, I saw it at a local Books-A-Million a few days ago. So...seems it's out early.

The Forerunner Trilogy will be about, you guessed it, the Forerunners! Which is exciting, but also confusing.

At any rate, the Forerunner Trilogy is about the Forerunner vs. Flood war. So that'll be very interesting. Smile

Shocked
I...don't...know...how...Gah! I knew that trilogy was coming out, but for some reason I had it written down for the end of next year! And I have so many books to read first! OH! I have money! I can get it! I was saving my pennies for a trip, but I guess a tenner can go missing, and read it later!

[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ah, yes, that's what I was referring to.

Oh, and I'm in the same boat. I have so many other books to read right now, I'm dying to get my hands on Cryptum! But I just don't have time. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Ah, yes, that's what I was referring to.

Oh, and I'm in the same boat. I have so many other books to read right now, I'm dying to get my hands on Cryptum! But I just don't have time. Sad

Yes, it does make me quite sad. I think there's something like ten books I have to get through! However, I must admit that all your talk of it has gotten me rather excited, and, yesterday, I accidently ordered it Confused
Very Happy
If I read it before you, I promise I won't spoil it...too much Razz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I hope I can get it read within the next month or so, but we'll see. I haven't read a bad Halo book yet, so I'm hoping it'll live up to expectations. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 7