Sign this petition to keep all the mediums canon.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sign this petition to keep all the mediums canon.
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Hello, I could not find a better place to put this petition. If I have put it in the wrong place please move it to the right place or tell me where to move it. This petition is to keep all the mediums canon, and not to contradict them in the upcoming epVII movie. I think we all can agree, in the end we all like the EU even if their is couple stories or characters we don't like.

Please all of you reading this spread the word to all the fans to sign this petition. It would be a great loss and disrespect to the writers, to just throw all this work away that has been created over the decades.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/447/128/090/keep-all-the-mediums-in-the-star-wars-saga-canon/

Re: Sign this petition to keep all the mediums canon.
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Black Knight 7 wrote:
Hello, I could not find a better place to put this petition. If I have put it in the wrong place please move it to the right place or tell me where to move it. This petition is to keep all the mediums canon, and not to contradict them in the upcoming epVII movie. I think we all can agree, in the end we all like the EU even if their is couple stories or characters we don't like.

Please all of you reading this spread the word to all the fans to sign this petition. It would be a great loss and disrespect to the writers, to just throw all this work away that has been created over the decades.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/447/128/090/keep-all-the-mediums-in-the-star-wars-saga-canon/

For now we'll let this slide, I deleted the redundant thread in the Movie Forums, this forum is the place for threads of this nature.

And on a personal note; as the Defender of the EU, let me point out- canon has levels, so it'll all be fine. And even if the new films force the EU to become an alternate universe, it will still function as it always has. The main question is whether or not they will continue to sell novels and comics of the EU line that exists right now if they do bridge out in a un reconcilable way.

Plus if it did what you fear - look at it how I will be if (God forbid) it is bad. The new stuff is all D-level Canon and doesn't rank as high lol

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

As a grammar geek, I have to add this:

The plural of medium is media. Let's collectively agree to stop using the word "mediums."

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote  

What if it's a group of ghost psychics? Can they still be mediums? Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:

^Aaaaand Skuls wins the internet for today Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

^Aaaaand Skuls wins the internet for today Laughing

I will give you that Smile

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Re: Sign this petition to keep all the mediums canon.
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Black Knight 7 wrote:

For now we'll let this slide, I deleted the redundant thread in the Movie Forums, this forum is the place for threads of this nature.

And on a personal note; as the Defender of the EU, let me point out- canon has levels, so it'll all be fine. And even if the new films force the EU to become an alternate universe, it will still function as it always has. The main question is whether or not they will continue to sell novels and comics of the EU line that exists right now if they do bridge out in a un reconcilable way.

Plus if it did what you fear - look at it how I will be if (God forbid) it is bad. The new stuff is all D-level Canon and doesn't rank as high lol

Not to plunge this thread into a debate on canon v. continuity, but shouldn't this be about continuity instead of canon? Since it is the story line we're trying to preserve? As is pointed out above, there are different levels of canon, but the one thing that Star Wars has been known for, since the 90's anyways, is the continuity of the story line in all media...at least they're trying to stick to a story line. I guess I'm trying to finally figure out the difference between canon v. continuity is. Ok, I know what they each mean, but in the context of the overall Star Wars Universe what do they mean? Sorry to get off topic.

AdmiralSteven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think that for Star Wars, unlike other franchises, canon and continuity are almost interchangeable. With the canon levels, everything remains continuous, but some things are of lesser canon.

For some franchises, for example Star Trek, only the TV series/movies are canon, but continuity is maintained within the non-canonical novels.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

What purpose does lesser canon serve under that interpretation?

The canon levels are a lie anyway, look no further than Thame Cerulian for proof of that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I just read on TFN that the first Ep. 7 casting call has been made, and the individuals they are looking for does not fit with the SkySolo children at all, which makes it ever more likely that the ST will invalidate the EU. Plus how Leland recently said there were no plans to try to reconcile TCW with the EU any more. Now, I am past bothering with a petition like this, but even if I wasn't, those bits of news would have lowered my hopes.

As for canon vs continuity: Leland has said that as far as the Holocron goes, the two are pretty much identical.
Personally, though, I find the distinction nicely used to differentiate between supposedly inviolable canon and optional canon. S-canon and N-canon being canon per the name, but still not part of continuity, which under my paradigm consists of C, T, and G.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

With Abrams involved, the EU is more than likely Dead on Arrival. I remember reading a story that he wanted to control all aspects of Star Trek when he signed on with the reboot, which would include not airing the TV series and merchandise from those series to make it clear his vision was Star Trek from that point out. That was rejected, mainly because the original series is owned by a few companies, one of which would make no profit from Star Trek that way.

However, I can easily see Disney agreeing to such a condition, which will mean everything in the EU that's already made will no longer be valid. I wouldn't be surprised if they slowly wind down printing older books and comics, at least the ones they control.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:45 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

So in this context, canon and continuity are pretty much one in the same? That's good to know. The canon/continuity of the story line is the one thing I like about Star Wars.

Werehunter wrote:
With Abrams involved, the EU is more than likely Dead on Arrival. I remember reading a story that he wanted to control all aspects of Star Trek when he signed on with the reboot, which would include not airing the TV series and merchandise from those series to make it clear his vision was Star Trek from that point out. That was rejected, mainly because the original series is owned by a few companies, one of which would make no profit from Star Trek that way.

However, I can easily see Disney agreeing to such a condition, which will mean everything in the EU that's already made will no longer be valid. I wouldn't be surprised if they slowly wind down printing older books and comics, at least the ones they control.

If the EU is dead on arrival, then it may be Disney's doing and not Abbrams' doing. I could be wrong and we certainly won't know for sometime to come, but until the movie comes out, or more definitive information on it comes out, we won't know. I know it's killing a lot of people not knowing, myself included, but I'm taking a wait and see approach.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

AdmiralSteven wrote:
So in this context, canon and continuity are pretty much one in the same? That's good to know. The canon/continuity of the story line is the one thing I like about Star Wars.

Werehunter wrote:

If the EU is dead on arrival, then it may be Disney's doing and not Abbrams' doing. I could be wrong and we certainly won't know for sometime to come, but until the movie comes out, or more definitive information on it comes out, we won't know. I know it's killing a lot of people not knowing, myself included, but I'm taking a wait and see approach.

I cant blame Disney. LUCAS SOLD THE FRANCHISE. I blame him. haha

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Can I just add that Star Trek's EU is doing really well right now?

I read Alan Dean Foster's movie novelization, and I want to pick up the Into Darkness novelization soon.

And the comic series is so much fun! They had a movie prequel miniseries (Countdown), a companion miniseries that explained what Nero was going during his 25 years stranded in the new timeline (Nero), a prequel miniseries to Into Darkness (Countdown to Darkness), and the Ongoing series has many really cool alternate approaches to old TV episodes, plus some new stories too. They had re-tellings of Where No Man Has Gone Before, The Galileo Seven, Operation Annihilate, Return Of The Archons, a cool new version of Mirror Mirror (a mirror universe of the new timeline), and a handful of new stories, like Vulcan Vengeance and a backstory for Keenser.

They're up to issue 22, which came out last week. This arc, After Darkness, is a direct follow-up to the consequences of the newest film. And it's a lot of fun (though I don't care much for the art). Also, the TPB collecting 17-20 is out this week. Once I get that, I'll have the whole series (TPBs for 1-20, Countdown, Nero, Countdown to Darkness, and the odd prequel Spock: Reflections, and 21-22 as issues).

And all these stories are supervised by Robert Orci (who worked on the movies too, and with Alex Kurtzman is one of Abrams's go-to guys.) So they're all basically canon, if never referenced in the movies.

So yes, don't count out the Star Wars EU just because it's Abrams. It may change and evolve, but it will likely go on.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

And that's just the EU for the Star Trek reboot. They still release 12 novels a month for the original timeline, completely separate from what J.J. Abrams is doing.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 2