Log in to check your private messages
Spin-Off Films Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spin-Off Films Discussion
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Jedi Joe
Master
Master

Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Posts: 1524

Two Star Wars spin-off films have been announced. One will be written by Empire Strikes Back writer, Lawrence Kasdan, and the other by Simon Kinberg. Nothing is currently known about the films besides that they'll each be focused on a specific character. http://starwars.com/news/new-spinoff-films-set-to-expand-the-star-wars-galaxy.html

Thoughts?
_________________


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4770
Location: Korriban

Well we knew this would happen didn't we?

I'm more excited for these than the actual Episode. I think these could be more fun and have less riding on them, freeing them up to be more overall than the rest.
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Jedi Joe
Master
Master

Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Posts: 1524

Caedus_16 wrote:
Well we knew this would happen didn't we?

I'm more excited for these than the actual Episode. I think these could be more fun and have less riding on them, freeing them up to be more overall than the rest.


I honestly think they should have went this route without doing a Sequel Trilogy, but that's water under the bridge now.

I have a feeling that these will be tie-ins to the ST though, possibly to bridge the gap between VI and VII...
_________________


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4770
Location: Korriban

Jedi Joe wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Well we knew this would happen didn't we?

I'm more excited for these than the actual Episode. I think these could be more fun and have less riding on them, freeing them up to be more overall than the rest.


I honestly think they should have went this route without doing a Sequel Trilogy, but that's water under the bridge now.

I have a feeling that these will be tie-ins to the ST though, possibly to bridge the gap between VI and VII...


Indeed. Disney did their Marvel franchise with standalone character films leading to The Avengers, I have no doubt that they'll do exactly the same thing with SW. So I'm just waiting to see how the whole thing plays out before either my rage fit or my roar of triumph.
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Dog-Poop_Walker
Master
Master

Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Posts: 951
Location: Official Med. Grove Troublemaker

I still wonder about the viability of random space opera, which is essentially what any SW spin off movie is without being based around the characters from the OT. The hanger that made it work before was the promise of continuity so those stories were SW, but with that gone than to the general movie goer Ep. 1 to 6 and so on is the only SW and anything else is just... something else.

Adjusted for inflation the rank by box office gross is interesting:
1. Ep. IV
2. Ep. I
3. Ep. VI
4. Ep. V
5. Ep. III
6. Ep. II
7. Clone Wars

As you can see the popularity goes from new trilogy starter, trilogy ender, and then first sequel, and spin off last. If that trend continues than Ep. VII stands to be a high grosser and every other movie following it will be less profitable than all of it's predecessors.

I know that Disney plans on making a million more SW movies, but that's not a good bank. They should wait to see the numbers on trilogy 3 before green lighting more SW movies.

Than again, every SW movie has made profit and the real profit has always been in merchandising, which Disney knows how to handle.
_________________
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:10 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Life Is The Path
Master
Master

Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 3857
Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Ben Skywalker film. Please? I was thinking, the other day, that if the sequels are set beyond FOTJ, it may be a bit too difficult to fit the entire backstory of several characters (which may not be necessary anyway, depending on how it's handled, but just in case it is, it may be difficult), and so it may drive away some viewers. Having spin-offs could help this.
_________________
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4770
Location: Korriban

Life Is The Path wrote:
Ben Skywalker film. Please? I was thinking, the other day, that if the sequels are set beyond FOTJ, it may be a bit too difficult to fit the entire backstory of several characters (which may not be necessary anyway, depending on how it's handled, but just in case it is, it may be difficult), and so it may drive away some viewers. Having spin-offs could help this.


Considering the new films are meant to overwrite the EU i don't think Ben exists anymore though.
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth Skuldren
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Posts: 6430
Location: Missouri

Quote:
BOB IGER: THERE HAS BEEN SPECULATION ABOUT SOME STAND-ALONE FILMS THAT HAVE BEEN IN DEVELOPMENT AND I CAN CONFIRM TO YOU TODAY THAT IN FACT WE ARE WORKING ON A FEW STANDALONE FILMS LARRY KASDAN AND SIMON KINBERG ARE BOTH WORKING ON FILMS DERIVED FROM GREAT STAR WARS CHARACTERS THAT ARE NOT PART OF THE OVERALL SAGA SO WE STILL PLAN TO MAKE STAR WARS 7, 8 AND 9 ROUGHLY OVER A SIX YEAR PERIOD OF TIME STARTING IN 2015 BUT THEY ARE GOING TO BE A FEW OTHER FILMS RELEASED IN THAT PERIOD OF TIME TOO.


Source: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100436801

"WORKING ON FILMS DERIVED FROM GREAT STAR WARS CHARACTERS THAT ARE NOT PART OF THE OVERALL SAGA" I wonder if that means these are original characters or if he means these films are simply not part of the core story?
_________________

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  GrandMaster
Knight
Knight

Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 494
Location: Earth Jedi Temple

The rumors that I've read seem to indicate a film about Yoda, so I think they might mean characters from the saga, not original characters.
_________________
"But it was so artistically done."

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4770
Location: Korriban

GrandMaster wrote:
The rumors that I've read seem to indicate a film about Yoda, so I think they might mean characters from the saga, not original characters.


A Yoda film? I'd take that.
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  VileZero
Master
Master

Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 816
Location: Maryland

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Quote:
BOB IGER: THERE HAS BEEN SPECULATION ABOUT SOME STAND-ALONE FILMS THAT HAVE BEEN IN DEVELOPMENT AND I CAN CONFIRM TO YOU TODAY THAT IN FACT WE ARE WORKING ON A FEW STANDALONE FILMS LARRY KASDAN AND SIMON KINBERG ARE BOTH WORKING ON FILMS DERIVED FROM GREAT STAR WARS CHARACTERS THAT ARE NOT PART OF THE OVERALL SAGA SO WE STILL PLAN TO MAKE STAR WARS 7, 8 AND 9 ROUGHLY OVER A SIX YEAR PERIOD OF TIME STARTING IN 2015 BUT THEY ARE GOING TO BE A FEW OTHER FILMS RELEASED IN THAT PERIOD OF TIME TOO.


Source: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100436801

"WORKING ON FILMS DERIVED FROM GREAT STAR WARS CHARACTERS THAT ARE NOT PART OF THE OVERALL SAGA" I wonder if that means these are original characters or if he means these films are simply not part of the core story?


Well if you read his quote accurately:

LARRY KASDAN AND SIMON KINBERG ARE BOTH WORKING ON FILMS DERIVED FROM GREAT STAR WARS CHARACTERS THAT ARE NOT PART OF THE OVERALL SAGA

Kasdan and Kinberg aren't making movies about saga characters. Says nothing about saga characters being off-limits overall.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Taral-DLOS
Master
Master

Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 1638
Location: Ontario, Canada

Not sure if I buy it, but:

http://ifanboy.com/articles/disney-planning-star-wars-solo-films-including-young-han-solo-chronicles-and-boba-fett-caper/
_________________
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Dog-Poop_Walker
Master
Master

Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Posts: 951
Location: Official Med. Grove Troublemaker

Star Wars Holiday Special Two: A Very Chewie Chanukah.

Part Three: A Scary Grievous, And A Happy New (Hope) Year.
_________________
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4770
Location: Korriban

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Star Wars Holiday Special Two: A Very Chewie Chanukah.

Part Three: A Scary Grievous, And A Happy New (Hope) Year.


I'm not proud of it, but I'd go see both of those at midnight showings.
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Reepicheep
Master
Master

Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 6750
Location: Sailing into the unknown

Caedus_16 wrote:
I'm more excited for these than the actual Episode. I think these could be more fun and have less riding on them, freeing them up to be more overall than the rest.

Agreed 100%. These I could actually get excited about (especially if they make a Boba Fett movie *coughcough* ).
_________________

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 2
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Display posts from previous:

  

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights 2 by Scott Stubblefield