Jacen releasing Abeloth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacen releasing Abeloth?
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I just finished Legacy of the Force for the 4th time and may read Fate of the Jedi again because of this, but I may be going crazy. If I remember this correctly, wasn't Jacen Solo blamed for the release of Abeloth via the destruction of Centerpoint Station? The Kiliks/celestials built it to contain her? But Luke sent Jacen who took Ben on that mission, so why does it seem that Luke was solely blaming Jacen for Abeloths release when theyre talking near the end if Apocalypse in the pool/mists of forgetfulness( dont remember which but either way it was beyond shadows)? Not taking into account Abeloth being the bringer of destruction or however it was worded and ignoring everything Jacen did after becoming sith. But am I forgetting something/ignoring something? It would seem pretty odd to blame Jacen for her release when he was sent on that mission. If he did it on his own it would be different and blame could be placed I suppose. Someone straighten me out, I could easily be forgetting a few steps along the way (too much time in the mists of forgetfulness)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Centerpoint Station was destroyed during a battle during the Second Galactic Civil War in which the Jedi reprogrammed it so that all galactic coordinates were equal to its own, so when the Corellians fired it, it destroyed itself. I think you're conflating this with the mission that Jacen and Ben went on to Centerpoint in Betrayal, which didn't result in its destruction.

There's also the insinuation that Abeloth's release was merely a consequence of a succession of several wars: the Clone Wars, the Galactic Civil War, the Yuuzhan Vong War, and the Second Galactic Civil War, and the destruction of Centerpoint was merely a catalyst but that her release was inevitable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Destroying Centerpoint didn't release Abeloth. Jacen's responsibility does lie in his choices and the actions he too.

I don't want to say more because I don't want to spoil FOTJ for you if you are going to read it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Riiiiiight. I'm taking bits from Jacens mission in Betrayal and bits from changing the coordinates in Invincible/Revelation, can't remember which book. Thanks for clearing me up. Knew I was mixing something up along the way and 100% forgot that Centerpoint wasn't destroyed beyond repair in Betrayal. I'm gonna go back and re read the chapters where Raynar is learning about Abeloth from Thuruht / Luke and Jacens talk behind shadows tonight because I still think too much blame was placed on Jacens actions alone via Luke.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't recall which novel the destruction of Centerpoint was in either. I thought you were reading the Fall of the Sith Empire? Since you like to listen to the audio books, I recommend that you listen to the audio dramas for Tales of the Jedi and Dark Lords of the Sith, albeit with the caveat that the series was unfortunately never finished in audio drama format, concluding at the end of Dark Lords of the Sith.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Yeah I Bruce Wayne/Batman it, reading the NJO series by day and then the Tales of the Jedi comics by night. Those radio dramas sound pretty cool, gotta get my hands on them one of these days. I love the Star Wars audiobooks, well the ones narrated by Marc Thompson anyway, the production flat out amazing. Thats probably why I get things so confused, I get the tangible books but also get them on my ipad so I am literally switching what Im reading constantly. Im not sure how I feel about Tales of the Jedi yet but Im only at "The Fall of the Sith Empire" so its too early to tell.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Tales of the Jedi audio dramas are on Audible and iTunes. They're slightly cheaper on iTunes, about the same price as a month of Audible (at 1 audio book a month), and given the price of some audio books it's probably most economical to just buy them on iTunes and save Audible credits for the more expensive SW audio books, assuming that you're an Audible subscriber.

I also recommend the Dark Empire audio dramas. John Cygan voices Luke. He did Canderous Ordo in the KOTOR games, but you wouldn't know it from his performance as Luke. He also does Ulic in Dark Lords of the Sith, I believe they changed the voice actor between Tales of the Jedi and Dark Lords.

The Dark Forces audio dramas adapted from the Dark Forces and Jedi Knight games are also pretty fun. They all have the same production values as the audio books, using the John Williams music and Ben Burtt sound effects.

As for the actual story content of Tales of the Jedi, I enjoy the comic and audio drama both because they remind me of 1930s pulp. The audio dramas reminds me of some of the audio dramas done for Conan the Barbarian. It't the same sort of storytelling that the serials that inspired Lucas to create Star Wars used.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

the loss of centerpoint was how she escaped. but Jacen's altering the future is what got her attention. IIRC.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1