Did anyone like the clone emperor?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Luke sided with the Emperor because he knew that if he struck him down then and there he would have accomplished nothing because the Emperor would have just gone into a clone body. Luke doesn't know where the clones are kept on Byss, or anything about the citadel at that time. The Emperor planned the situation out to get this exact result, and both Luke and the Emperor are playing each other. Luke is pretending to be his apprentice so he can figure out how to kill the Emperor, all the while he is sabotaging the Imperial war effort, as can be seen during the Battle of Mon Calamari when the World Devastators are goofing each other.

Palpatine knows that Luke is doing this, but his aim is to keep Luke under his influence as long as possible with the hope that the forbidden knowledge Luke finds trying to figure out how to defeat Palpatine eventually corrupts him.

When Luke learns all that he thinks he needs to know and sabotages the Imperial war effort to the fullest extent, e.g. giving Artoo with the programming codes to destroy all World Devastators to Han and Leia, he goes into the cloning lab and smashes all the Spaarti cylinders, which was his plan all along.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I liked the resurrection thing for making SW more dark and realistic, a youthful flaw of mine, and for helping explain why Palp exploded so violently with dark side energy. That was pretty unique at the time, pretty rare even today. So him having ghosted made sense.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Crash: That makes sense actually. I'v never actually read Dark Empire. Embarassed

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dark Empire is one of my favorite SW stories. I think it's vastly underrated and I love it. Dark Empire 2 and Empire's End, on the other hand... I'm a big fan of the Tales of the Jedi comics as well.

I think most fans haven't read Dark Empire, and that this was true even in the 90s, because I recall one of the common questions asked online even back then was "which novel did Luke turn to the dark side and Palpatine come back in?" People didn't know it was in a comic. I think part of its unpopularity hinges upon it not being widely read due to its initial story content being viewed disdainfully, which is understandable to an extent.

I think most elements of the story that people take exception to can be explained in a manner to my satisfaction. The only one which can't from a film perspective would be Palpatine's survival undermining the idea that Anakin restored balance to the Force through killing Palpatine. This idea didn't exist when the story was written, however. The Expanded Universe hasn't shown restraint with reusing the Sith in the future -- and in fact depicting Sith as existing elsewhere in the galaxy when Anakin is ostensibly eliminating the Sith from the galaxy according to Lucas -- so for an EU story I can't complain about the concept.

Other than that, I don't think that Palpatine's return undermines Anakin's sacrifice, because Anakin's sacrifice was to die in order to save his son, not to die in order to kill Palpatine, and Anakin did save his son. As for Luke turning to the dark side, he acts in a brusque manner and shows some dark influence upon him in the story, for sure, but he isn't depicted murdering anyone, committing atrocities, or anything of the sort that we see Anakin or later Jacen do upon becoming a Sith Lord. Luke is never given a Sith name either. This is due to the concept not existing, but it's something that could have been added ex post facto.

An interesting note, though, is that throughout the six issues of the comic, until the final panel, Luke is looking a tad bit jaundiced in the eyes.

One final thing that I really liked about Dark Empire which I don't think many people noticed is that Luke is given his own prophecy like Anakin's prophecy. At the end of every issue of the initial miniseries, and in the first few printings of the trade paperback (it's in my old TPB), but not in the most recent hardcover collection of Dark Empire, Dark Empire 2, and Empire's End, is a series of endnotes which provide some interesting information about the series and some back story that otherwise wouldn't fit in the exposition of the comic itself.

Dark Empire endnotes wrote:
"In a time of greatest adversity, the greatest Jedi will be born!"
And so it is that a man, Luke Skywalker, heir to a 25,000-year-old tradition, has found the courage to challenge the Dark Side on its own ground.
Luke has made the dangerous choice to learn the secrets of the Dark Side. For this Jedi, it was the only way.

The endnotes also strongly insinuate the general premise of Anakin's prophecy with regard to the Force lacking balance, mentioning the Dark Side being at its apex and that the light side was more powerful in the past, and so forth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Never enjoyed Dark Empire either myself. Though considering it is a comic book, the storyline feels like a comic bookk storyline. Like many superhero arcs today, the plot is just too left-field, unrealistic, and everyone comes back to life for pretty much no reason.

Bringing characters back to life in the Star Wars universe for the most part ruins the idea of ONE Expanded Universe, where all the books and movies and other forms of media are tied together. So when you bring back the biggest villain of the series, as well as fan favorite Boba Fett just because it will sell books, then make Luke do something totally uncharacteristic, eh. It's just not that good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 2