Hello! I'm new to the EU and could use some help!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Spaceport View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hello! I'm new to the EU and could use some help!
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Hi everyone!

I'm PadawanSparkles but you can all call me Lara!

While I have been a Star Wars fan for 5 years now I've never really delved deep into the EU expect for Film novelisations, some games and just basic information about characters I like.

With Star Wars the Clone Wars cancelled I need new Star Wars things in my life so I've decided to get into the Extended Universe. However I have no idea where to start so I hoped you guys could help me out.

I find the old Republic and the old Jedi Order extremely fascinating. My favourite character is Obi-Wan and Han shot first. Wink

Anyways, it's very nice to meet you all!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hello,

Is there a specific type of Star Wars story which you prefer or that you would look for in a Star Wars novel? You mention the Old Republic and Old Jedi Order, so would you prefer stories set during the prequel time period?

For the prequel era, I guess chronologically speaking a good starting point would be either Cloak of Deception or Darth Plagueis, but I am hesitant to recommend Plagueis to a new reader because the plot is light on action, it's from the Sith perspective, and it brings a lot of baggage in terms of continuity that might overwhelm someone completely new to the EU. Cloak of Deception doesn't have that issue, and is sort of a companion novel to Darth Plagueis, from the perspective of the Jedi, specifically Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

I think a few classic novels featuring the OT characters that have the epic film feel to them would be Shadows of the Empire, which bridges The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and the Thrawn trilogy, which was basically the gateway to the Expanded Universe in general and has no expectations for its audience except that you've seen the films.

I can also recommend a chronology of where to go from there if you would like.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hi Lara! Smile

I haven't read that many novels in the Prequel era, but I would reccomend the "Medstar" duology. They're about war surgeons during the Clone Wars. They're really different from what you'd normally expect in a Star Wars book, but in a good way. And, yeah, I'd say stay away from Darth Plagueis.

If you want to go for the pre-Prequel (i.e. Old Republic era) I would reccomend the "Darth Bane" trilogy and Deceived. Both are really good.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Thank you both for your recommendations!

Crash Override, I think I'll start with Cloak of Deception. I will probably return to Darth Plagueis later when I have a little more knowledge of the EU. While I prefer stories set in the Prequel time period I think it would be a good idea to read Shadows of the Empire and the Thrawn trilogy. I always hear people talk about characters from the EU post Return of the Jedi so it'll be nice to get a little more context for those characters. Also a chronology would be great! Seriously, thank you so much for your help!

The Medstar duelogy sounds really interesting, Reepicheep! I'll definitely read that! I think I'll stick to the prequel and original era for now but I'll put Darth Bane and Decieved on my list to read later. Also the name Darth Bane sounds really familiar... Was he the Sith who established the Rule of Two? Anyways, thanks for your recommendations!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Bane did indeed establish the Rule of Two. Another book you might like is Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter by Michael Reaves. Since you liked TCW (The Clone Wars), you might be interested in tie-in books, which start with Star Wars: The Clone Wars by Karen Traviss, which, if I remember correctly, is the novelisation of the TCW movie.

Also: Welcome! Love the name Smile
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:20 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I've heard lots of good things of Karen Traviss so I'll certainly read those! And Darth Maul is always cool so Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter certainly sounds interesting!

Thanks! Also I love the dancing wookiee!^^

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:50 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Welcome welcome!! Just like you said a read through the Thrawn Trilogy would get you nice and familiar with the post ROTJ EU, not to mention being awesome! It is a large world but you definitely came to the right place for reading tips. Also great name!

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'll certainly do that 1337Jedi. I'm currently reading Cloak of deception but I think the Thrawn Trilogy will be next on my reading list. And I'm really glad I asked you guys of help because otherwise I would've been hopelessly lost.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote  

Welcome to the forums, Lara!

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hello Lara!

You mentioned liking the old republic, but how feel you about The Old Republic? Like, books tied into the universe set up by the video game Star Wars: The Old Republic?

The books set in this period are quite good:
1- The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance is set in the Cold War between the Republic and the Sith Empire. It's a fun standalone story that I enjoyed quite a bit.
2- The Old Republic: Deceived is, in a sense, a novelization of the "Deceived" video game trailer. It goes into a lot of detail. It's amazing and fast.
3- The Old Republic: Revan is an expansion of the story of Revan (protagonist of the Knights of the Old Republic video game). It ties the original KOTOR game into the new TOR game. It's a bit weird if you don't know much about KOTOR (it assumes you played the games, or are at least familiar with them).

I haven't read The Old Republic: Annihilation yet, but it looks fun Smile

There's also Red Harvest, which is set in this ancient era, but is more of a horror novel. It is a prequel to "Death Troopers", a really enjoyable horror novel set in the movie era.

Also, I recommend comics. Check out the various "Omnibus" comics, which collect a lot of material. Almost every single comic tied into the prequel era has been collected in the Omnibus line. Look for:
1- Omnibus: Rise of the Sith and Omnibus: Emissaries and Assassins, which tie into Episode I
2- Omnibus: Menace Revealed and Omnibus: Quinlan Vos-Jedi in Darkness both lead into Episode II
3- Omnibus: Clone Wars (3 volumes) collect a lot of the old depictions of the Clone Wars (before the TV series came out).

These books are all really good. Other stand-out ones include:
4- Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi (2 volumes), which tells of ancient wars between Jedi and Sith
5- Omnibus: X-Wing Rogue Squadron (3 volumes), which tells of cool starfighter battles post-Episode VI
6- Omnibus: Boba Fett should be self-explanatory.

Really, just explore your local comic book store and find anything labeled "Omnibus". Dark Horse Comics has published like 2 dozen omnibuses for Star Wars, and many more for their other lines (7 for Buffy, a few for Indiania Jones, Predator, Aliens, etc.)

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I've certainly played KOTOR! Despite the fact that grahpics are really outdated it's still one of my favourite video games ever so I'll definitely read The Old Republic: Revan! I'll put the other books on my list as well.

I'll take a look at the comics too! They might be a little hard to get by though...

Thanks for your recommendations Taral!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

PadawanSparkles wrote:
I've certainly played KOTOR! Despite the fact that grahpics are really outdated it's still one of my favourite video games ever so I'll definitely read The Old Republic: Revan! I'll put the other books on my list as well.

I'll take a look at the comics too! They might be a little hard to get by though...

Thanks for your recommendations Taral!

No worries. A lot of omnibuses can be found at the big book stores, but now I'm remembering from the other thread that you're in Europe, so I dunno. You may need to just browse bookstores or talk to Life Is The Path.

I've seen the Star Wars comics in French at shops in Paris. I was there two weeks ago and found a bunch while browsing in a Virgin Store. But I'm not sure where to buy English ones, other than online.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:45 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

A few years back I actually bought a Star Wars comic in Paris in English but traveling to France to buy my comics is a bit too far. Wink A new comic bookstore opened not that far from me recently so I'll take a loot there and see what they have.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote  

Welcome! First off I have to ask "Lara" isn't by chance a reference to Lara Croft of Tomb Raider fame? (Being the resident archaeologist this is kind of a mandatory question Wink )

As for EU personally I'd start off with the Thrawn Trilogy of the X-Wing series (both taking place after ROTJ). They may not be the most recent EU but as EU classics they're really worth the read.

I'd also highly recommend the Republic Commando books however I will caution you that the series got canned before it could be completed so the last book leaves a lot of loose ends.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

It isn't but I do love Lara Croft! I have to say that it's awesome that your an archaeologist! I actually thought about studying archaeology but int he end I opted for History. So perhaps in a few years I'll be the resident historian Wink

And thanks for the recommendations! I'm currently reading the Thrawn Trilogy. I'll take a look at the Republic Commando books too! Aren't those written by Karen Traviss? I remember there was big issue about those books a while back. I guess it was about the series being canned then.

Page 1 of 2