The Last Jedi by Michael Reaves and Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Last Jedi by Michael Reaves and Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote  

UPDATE:

Cover art is by Gene Moloica and designed by Scott Biel

Title: The Last Jedi
Authors: Michael Reaves and Mara Bohnhoff
Release Date: March 26, 2013 (tentative)

Random House has this listed at 224 pages, paperback.

Note the previous placeholder title was Coruscant Nights IV: Jedi Dawn and had a November 2012 release scheduled.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Last edited by Darth Skuldren on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I thought the ending to the third book was..............not really an ending at all. I always thought it was supposed to be three books. Did they revisit the idea since it was pretty much left wide open at the end of book 3? Or was it always planned to be four books?

I have to say, based on the cover of 3(sorry I keep writing 3, but I can't remember the title), I expected Jax to be dead after confronting vader. And I actually wanted that to happen, because in reality i don't want too many more Jedi surviving through the dark times. I don't mind that there are some, but too many just diminishes the whole significance of the purge and where we start in episode 4.

On thing is for certain, with the amount of time between books 3 and 4, I will have to re-read 1-3 prior to it coming out to re-familiarize myself with the characters.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

A fourth one?! I couldn't even get through the first. Wink

I didn't know Mara was a real name...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

im kinda excited about it, myself, i thought the books were pretty good..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Meh. The third one was really contrived, so I'm not very excited about a fourth.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote  

Overall, I thought the three Coruscant Night books were pretty good. I wouldn't say I'm excited for a fourth one, but I'll certainly buy it and give it a chance. I'd like to see more about the Paladins and the gun totting Jedi. I thought that was a really interesting idea. Plus the Coruscant Nights books had some really neat stuff on alien species. I'd love to see more of that.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote  

New details added. Here's the blurbish press release from SDCC 2012:

Quote:
“Another fast-paced, action-packed Star Wars stand-alone mass market original by New York Times bestselling authors Michael Reaves and Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff!

Ever since Emperor Palpatine’s Order 66–which called for the execution of all Jedi–Jax Pavan is the last Knight around to fight the dark side of the Force. Together with his droid I-5, Jax has eluded Vader time and again, all the while wreaking havoc against the Empire through the underground resistance on Coruscant. But now the Rebel’s leader on the city-planet has been captured, and it’s up to the Last Jedi to ride again…possibly for one final adventure.”

Right now they are not connecting this with the Coruscant Nights series. This is being treated as a standalone now that using characters from the series.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I think the entire series was amazing and that yes they did leave it wide open to continue on. Now its a good series because its different then any of the other stories of the jedi out there and it brings into question many aspects of what makes a jedi a true jedi, but we'll get back on topic here. i wanna know who the person running the star wars EU department is because they need to either be fired or re evauluated for leaving that series open and then letting a whole other book be placed into the timeline. and if the book is after coruscant nights then they will have to end it with jax in that book and fill in the gaps i agree with the whole idea that not everyone should be making it through the dark times because it doesnt make the flow of continuity straight however they still have at least 2 or three books left for jax and his roller coaster life..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

So they're jumping ahead by almost two decades?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
So they're jumping ahead by almost two decades?

What makes you think so? The Rebel leader part? That's just the Coruscant resistance, which Jax is a part of, it's not the Alliance to Restore the Republic rebels.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

well your right he isnt the leader and who knows maybe they can get away with out killing him but in the end what about the coruscant nights series thats what this really is about the fact that so much was left on the edge of knife. what happens to jax and laranth now? what happened to the jedi adept? etc etc etc. but we need to look at the facts as well. we already know there are the publishing companies who for whatever reason love releasing books out of sequence and more or less giving the author the run of the galaxy closing in the doors around the authors who have to fill in that missing history. but the truth is michael is only closing the doors in on himself if he does this book as a stand alone not only will he have to either connect it to the series but he will also have to end jax with this book. we gotta be reasonable this is roughly ten more or less years before look destroys the first death star and although thats a long time in the EU thats not enough in some stories or trilogies. so we are left to ask our selves will jax become one with the force or will he disappear quietly into the unknown? quell? the core? we will find out more hopefully soon and please anyone who digs up dirt email me it thank you all and may you shoot stright and die brave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote  

I don't think this will be the last book we see Jax in. I think the reason they're billing it as a standalone rather than another Coruscant Nights book is just a marketing thing. They want new readers to feel like they can read this without reading the others. I don't think it means the rest of us are going to get short changed. Quite the contrary, I think this book will just be the next chapter in Jax Pavan's ongoing adventure. Not the end, not an out of sequence leap frog. At least that would be my guess.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Meh. The third one was really contrived, so I'm not very excited about a fourth.

Since the bota's out of the picture, I wonder what the excuse for escaping from Vader will be this time.

In other words the title should be VADER KILLS EVERYONE.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote  

Maya posted that I-Five is going to have a pretty good role in The Last Jedi.

Link: http://bookviewcafe.com/blog/2012/08/08/padawans-journal-44-writing-non-human-characters-or-i-fell-in-love-with-a-droid/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

MKB wrote:
Altogether, I-Five’s career spans more than two decades

Rolling Eyes

I really hope this means that the new book takes place over seven years after ROTS, and not what I think it means.

Because I think it means the Mensa candidates writing these books haven't yet faced the reality of their unbelievable timeline fuckups in the previous books.

I mean, "more than two decades" is pretty much an exact quote.

I guess it's hard to find authors who can work out complex math problems like 32 - 19.

Of course, there's always a chance the inevitable dumb mistakes in the manuscript will be caught by the editors prior to the book's release.

( Who am I kidding? I can't even say that with a straight face. )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2