Post-RotJ Show?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Star Wars Television View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post-RotJ Show?
 PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So there's been a rumour circulating for a while that Rebels may end after three or four seasons - meaning the end may be very near - and that the focus at Lucasfilm Animation will shift to a new show that takes place between RotJ and TFA. Even if this rumour turns out to be false, I think it's a safe bet we will see a post-RotJ animated show sometime in the future.

My feelings are a bit mixed on this. I've really enjoyed Rebels once it overcame it's rocky start and has become the silver lining to the dark cloud (for me at least) that has been the Disney acquisition so far. It seems like it just got started and now we're talking about it coming to an end.

On the other hand, the timeline between RotJ and TFA does intrigue me and I would like to learn more about it. I would also rather have Rebels have a pre-planned ending than suffer the fate of The Clone Wars - or a TV show that doesn't know when enough is enough.

Then there's the question of when it should be set and who it should focus on. There's a 30 year time gap between RotJ and TFA. That's the largest time between movies we've ever had. Should it be closer to RotJ and show the mopping up of the remaining forces of the Empire and the re-establishment of the Republic. Or should it take place closer to TFA and show Kylo's turn to the dark side, the rise and fall of Luke's Jedi academy, and the rise of the First Order? Or, heck, should it attempt to cover the entire 30 years with several time jumps?

As for who it should focus on, even though I enjoyed the shift away from main characters in Rebels, I think I would like to shift the focus back to Luke, Han, and Leia (and possibly Kylo) in the new show. There's a lot of unanswered questions about them and I think I would rather have that explored than be introduced to a bunch of new characters. And depending on who survives Rebels, we could see some of the crew of the Ghost back in the new show. I also think there's a strong likelihood that we'll get Thrawn back for the new show (assuming he survives.... Sad ).

Any thoughts?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

well, they already had a post ROTJ animated show...

I assume any new show would be new characters. It makes the most sense to set it during TFA. They could do a Rogue Squadron show, but for that timeline.

I really would not want to see a show in between VI and VII with the Disney timeline. They've kind of ruined that and it would be boring.
The spirit can die when the force that's crushing it is great enough. By raining bullets down on the silent faces, already turned away from the world, you thought you could destroy the face of our truth. But we have faith in a different force. That hopeless hope is what sustains us now. My comrades are more numerous than your bullets, and more patient than your executioners.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Wait. What?

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I really would not want to see a show in between VI and VII with the Disney timeline. They've kind of ruined that and it would be boring.

It would be kind of depressing, knowing the new Republic and Jedi were both going to be destroyed. Razz

I can't agree that it would be boring though. I have a lot of unanswered questions from TFA.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
They've kind of ruined that and it would be boring.

I dunno, they've put out some iffy novels but it's a wide universe, there's plenty of room to make something interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

[quote="Reepicheep"]
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Wait. What?

Caedus_16 wrote:
there's plenty of room to make something interesting.

Yeah? but I mean that it wouldn't really be referential to anything, so it would just be new material, characters or story lines, and so it doesn't really matter what time period it was set for. There isn't really anything to gain by setting it during that period...unless they just want to dump a bunch of stuff that won't actually effect anything canon while still calling it canon... So keep doing what they've been doing with Clone Wars and Rebels.
The spirit can die when the force that's crushing it is great enough. By raining bullets down on the silent faces, already turned away from the world, you thought you could destroy the face of our truth. But we have faith in a different force. That hopeless hope is what sustains us now. My comrades are more numerous than your bullets, and more patient than your executioners.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I mean, yeah. That's basically it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Wait. What?

Ah. Razz

Caedus_16 wrote:
Yeah? but I mean that it wouldn't really be referential to anything, so it would just be new material, characters or story lines, and so it doesn't really matter what time period it was set for. There isn't really anything to gain by setting it during that period...unless they just want to dump a bunch of stuff that won't actually effect anything canon while still calling it canon... So keep doing what they've been doing with Clone Wars and Rebels.

They could fill out the backstory hinted at by TFA though. I would call that affecting canon.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote  

My vote would be "The Adventures of Luke Skywalker." If the books aren't going to touch him, then let's get an animated series with Mark voicing himself.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
My vote would be "The Adventures of Luke Skywalker." If the books aren't going to touch him, then let's get an animated series with Mark voicing himself.

I would love that. I think Mark Hamill would be up for it too since he's been such a good sport with his Star Wars fame and most of his work these days is voice acting.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Star Wars Television

Page 1 of 1