John Jackson Miller Penning Trek novella Absent Enemies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Jackson Miller Penning Trek novella Absent Enemies
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Heard this in July, but forgot about it until now. How do you think Miller will fare in his Star Trek debut? I enjoyed Lost Tribe of the Sith and am curious to see what he will bring to the Titan miniseries.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sabc?url=search-alias%3Daps&pageMinusResults=1&suo=1381364480577#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_23?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=star%20trek%20titan%20absent%20enemies&sprefix=star+trek+titan+absent+%2Caps%2C357&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Astar%20trek%20titan%20absent%20enemies

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote  

I'll definitely check it out. I liked his original sci-fi novel Overdraft: The Orion Offensive. While I'm not a huge Trek fan (I've never watched New Generation), I'll still give it a go.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've already pre-ordered it. I've loved what JJM has done in Star Wars, and Titan has been in need of a better author for a while.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I'll definitely check it out. I liked his original sci-fi novel Overdraft: The Orion Offensive. While I'm not a huge Trek fan (I've never watched New Generation), I'll still give it a go.

I'll say you're not a huge Trek fan. It's Next Generation, not New Generation. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Grandmaster, what's your opinion of the series' books that take place within the shows' run? I'm heading to the bookstore Wednesday and will likely pick up an ST book or two.

Right now I'm only intending to do the TNG, DS9, and VOY relaunch novels with Titan, The Typhon Pact, The Fall, A Time to ..., and The Lost Era since Pocket Books has maintained a tighter continuity with these novels. Are the numbered Pocket Books novels and the various unnumbered ones before the reluanch novels worth getting, too, or should I skip them?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Grandmaster, what's your opinion of the series' books that take place within the shows' run? I'm heading to the bookstore Wednesday and will likely pick up an ST book or two.

Right now I'm only intending to do the TNG, DS9, and VOY relaunch novels with Titan, The Typhon Pact, The Fall, A Time to ..., and The Lost Era since Pocket Books has maintained a tighter continuity with these novels. Are the numbered Pocket Books novels and the various unnumbered ones before the reluanch novels worth getting, too, or should I skip them?

The numbered ones are rather uneven - the first few of each series were written before the show ever went to air, and as such are working off of old drafts, so there can be a lot of differences in how the characters act. I haven't read many numbered ones, but I would recommend DS9 #27: A Stitch in Time, which is in some ways the "pre"-relaunch book for DS9.

I haven't read many of the unnumbered books before the relaunches, but I don't think any of them are crucial to understanding the relaunches, so you can check out what seems interesting to you.

I would also recommend you read Articles of the Federation (which had a small printing and might be hard to find), which is a follow-up to A Time to... and is often described as the ST West Wing, and I recommend the series Vanguard if you're interested in a darker and grittier take on the Kirk era (it also has some connections to later books, but is not essential for understanding).

The current continuity came about in 2003 or so, so anything before that might not line up with the rest.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1