Favorite Halloween Movies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Favorite Halloween Movies
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote  

With Halloween fast approaching, what are some of your favorite scary movies? Let's make a top five list. I'll start things off with some of my favorites (mostly classics).

1. Halloween - when it comes down to it, I think this one is the best. It's classic scary movie. Rather than just being a stereotypical slasher, it actually has some good quality to it with good actor, truly scary tension, creepy music, and a villain with an intriguing backstory. The sequels might drop off in quality, but the first one holds up. Plus it has Donald Pleasance as the quasi-hero.

2. Any One of Peter Cushings Frankenstien movies: The Revenge of Frankenstein, The Evil of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Created Woman, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, Frankenstein And the Monster From Hell (which I think is my favorite).

3. Horror of Dracula - starring Peter Cushing as Van Helsing and Christopher Lee as Dracula, it's the ultimate classic.

4. Alien - the scariest of the franchise and the best for it.

5. Torture Garden - Burgess Meredith plays the evil storyteller for four creepy tales involving Jack Palance, Peter Cushing and others. Pretty cool movie.

I'd also recommend something with Vincent Price in it, but I'm not sure which is my favorite.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'll bite with this one. You and I actually have list similarities.

1. Halloween: Not the original Carpenter classic, but the Zombie remake. I loved it, I'll say it.

2. Alien: Perfect creature freak show, what a movie.

3. I'm a fan or the film Nosferatu.

4. The Mummy with Boris Karloff is a classic.

Aaaaand because its campy...

5. Dracula starring Neo from the Matrix and the great Sir Anthony Hopkins himself!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:45 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

The Nightmare Before Christmas.

That is all.

I don't care much for horror films. I need for it to have something else to get me as well. Like the original Saw was interesting cause it was unique, but now I can't watch them. I also really liked Severance, which was a horror movie intersecting with British comedy. And one of my favourites is Repo! The Genetic Opera, which is horror/rock opera.

Also: this weekend I think our local repertoire theatre is playing the Rocky Horror Picture Show. That's a great one for Halloween too.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I don't like the current era of horror films, like slasher flicks. I prefer more the old Alfred Hitchcock-style - more mind-bending stuff - but I don't really watch many scary movies, so my list is fairly short.

The Birds is pretty terrifying,
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

High Anxiety is Mel Brook's homage to Hitchcock, and does a nice job of turning horror staples on their head.

The Cabin in the Woods, while it is a slasher flick, it's Joss Whedon's parody/homage to slasher flicks, not just killing for killing's sake.

That's really it for movies. However the new Sleepy Hollow tv show is good for a few scares.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Evil Dead series.
Nightmare on Elm St.
Sixth Sense
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:18 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

The missus and I watched The Nightmare Before Christmas while carving a pumpkin last night. And eating (coincidentally) orange soup on black plates.

Good times Smile
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote  

@Caedus_16: You know, I really like Dracula with Keanu Reaves, Gary Oldman, and Anthony Hopkins. That's one of my favorite Dracula movies. Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins had some good performances in that one. Had I thought of it, I would have put that over Horror of Dracula. As for Nosferatu, I tried to watch it once and just couldn't take it. Silent movies aren't for me. Been a long time since I saw the Mummy though.

@GrandMaster: Hitchcock is a good choice. Been a long time since I've watched any of his films, though. I need to pick some of them up for my DVD collection sometime. As for Cabin In The Woods, I enjoyed that one. All the monsters showing up at the end was cool and it had a H.P. Lovecraft feel.

@Murray1134: Army of Darkness is great. I love that one, but it's so funny, I don't typically think of it as horror. The only other Evil Dead film I've seen is the first one, which was good, but not as entertaining and fun as Army of Darkness. Sixthe Sense is another good pick, though I don't typically think of that one as a horror movie, though it is. NOES is a classic.

For Halloween, I did a double feature and watched Theater of Blood and Madhouse. Both Vincent Price films that I haven't watched before. Theater of Blood was fun. It was about an actor who comes back to kill all his critics.

Madhouse, however, was impressive. Price plays a horror film actor whose wife dies, but he isn't sure whether he did it or not. He gets out of the institution years later, and his good friend Peter Cushing talks him back into the movie business. People start dying again, and there's a nice mystery as to who is killing everyone. The ending doesn't do a twist, but rather goes for really strange and awesome. I highly recommend this one to fans of Vincent Price and Peter Cushing.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Skuldren: I honestly just found that version of the Dracula story a bit campy, but I enjoy it all the same. As to silent films I would say that they definitely aren't for everyone and I'm not super into them but I enjoyed that one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Keanu Reeves plays a dude getting the life sucked out of him. Nailed it!

For some reason I'm drawing a blank thinking of Halloween movies.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1