SW 40th Anniversary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
SW 40th Anniversary
 PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I saw SW (now ANH) back in 1977 when I was 7 years old. (doing the math, yes, now I'm 47). After seeing the movie, all I wanted for birthdays and Christmas, etc. was Star Wars items...and that's what I got. By the time RotJ came out in 1983 I had a sizable collection...so much so, that our local newspaper, The Free Lance-Star, came to our house and did a story on me (which included some pics). Now, 40 years later, I am again living in the same county in which I grew up after having lived in California, Texas, Japan, Maryland, and West Virginia (in that order) thanks to the Air Force. Well, the Free Lance-Star, today, on the 40th Anniversary of SW, called my mom to do a follow-up story on me. She gave them my number and I talked to them about it. After sharing several SW stories with the reporter, I sent her the only pics I had available here at work...mine and my daughter's Rebel Legion card pics. The story should be up sometime today online and in print in tomorrow's paper.

Here's what I looked like at age 13 in my SW bedroom, and now in my Corran Horn Rebel Legion costume: http://www.fredericksburg.com/entertainment/from-the-archives-stars-in-his-eyes-for-star-wars/article_10dd97f4-1fa8-56e6-b51e-679c5258fe20.html

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sometimes I forget that Star Wars was around 16 years before I was born. I remember in 1999 when TPM came out and it felt like a beginning. I don't have any memories of Star Wars before that. Around that time I started really getting into Lego and subscribed to the Lego magazine. I used to look at the Star Wars sets and be fascinated by them, wondering what this Star Wars thing was all about. I knew the names of many of the characters and even ships, planets etc. before I saw a single Star Wars film.

No one else in my family is into fantastical fiction the way I am and no one had seen or had any interest in Star Wars. Because of that, I just never got around to seeing it. My parents seemed to have a general dislike of the whole phenomenon and so I kept my interest to myself.

Years later, around 2001, I started watching ANH with my childhood best friend. She and her brother loved Star Wars (and I have a clear memory of her brother saying that AotC was the "best movie ever" after coming home from the theatre Razz ). However she had a very short attention span and we got up to the point were R2-D2 is taken by the Jawas and then we shut it off and went to play with toys. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if we had continued watching it. Would I have become a Star Wars fan earlier or was the time just not right?

Fast forward another few years in early 2005 and I was 12 years old. I was at my uncle's house and, because everyone else was busy with something that I have now forgotten, he showed me ANH. I was mesmerized from start to finish. I also remember eating Kraft Dinner during the scene where Luke is eating with Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. I can still taste it every time I watch that scene. The movie was done and there was still time so I watched ESB. And then RotJ... well most of it. I got up to the part where Luke and Vader go to see the Emperor. I believe I finished it the following day. And the rest is history. Life-changing stuff. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Thanks for sharing the memories.

I love that Star Wars is something that is being passed down generations. Maybe there is other media that has the same effect, but I can't think of any. Star Wars is just a family thing.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I know that I saw Star Wars when I was very young (probably 4 or 5). I don't remember seeing it, but I remember specific things. A knowledge of Luke, Chewie, and the droids. A very specific mental image of the eye of the Dianoga coming out of the trash.

When I was 8 or 9, I got the trilogy on VHS for Christmas (Digitally remastered in THX! I remember that bit of marketing lol). This was the first time I saw Empire or Jedi, and what really launched my love of Star Wars.

The memory I really want to share though is from early March of this year. My wife and I decided that she would get first dibs on sleep if someone needed to stay up with the baby, and after the midnight feeding or so, I would get sleep priority for a bit. So after about 2-3 days of this, I realized that I could watch Youtube or Netflix or something while gently rocking the baby to sleep. Then I realized I could watch a movie.

Then I realized I could choose what FIRST movie Marilla would be exposed to. So obviously, her first movie was Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope.

I know she won't remember, and slept through the whole thing anyway, but I don't care. Her first movie was Star Wars.

EDIT: I wanted to add to my story that I found my recording of it. She was the ripe old age of four...days old. Even though the room is dark, you can KIND OF see a baby, and then I point to the screen and it's obvious what's on. And I do a bit of voiceover explaining the important context lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I just might do that if I have a little Reepicheep of my own some day. Razz

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1