Rebels, Rogue One, and Legends...a discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebels, Rogue One, and Legends...a discussion
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I wasn't sure where to put this topic because it has elements of several sections. So, I put it here.

We recently got the Rebels season 2 (and boy was it a good one...with the exception of the saber copters). Then, shortly thereafter, we got the first trailer for Rogue One (R1)...which was also awesome. There are lots of rumors floating around about both. I thought it'd be cool to put a thread up to discuss some of these.

- Dave Filoni has said that Rebels will lead into Rogue One, but we don't really know in what way.

- It's rumored that Rebels will end with season 3, with the possibility that it'll pick back up after Rogue One with the same characters (and perhaps a few new ones) but a new title, or...that there'll be an entirely different animated show set after RotJ.

- It's rumored that (Grand) Admiral Thrawn will be in Rebels season 3. Perhaps related, or not, there is speculation that the white uniformed Imperial in the R1 trailer is Thrawn...or at least the "new canon" version of Thrawn.

This all being said, here's a few questions I've been pondering:

1. Would you like to see characters from Rebels appear in R1? If so, who and why? If not, why not?

2. Would you like to see any R1 characters (other than Vader) appear in Rebels? If so, who and why? If not, why not?

3. Would you like to see Thrawn re-introduced into the new canon via Rebels and/or R1?

4. Are there any other Legends characters that you think would be a good fit in Rebels and/or R1?

5. What events would you like to see in Rebels going forward?

6. How would you envision Rebels ending?

7. We know that R1 is about how the Rebellion gets the Death Star plans. How would you like to see R1 end?

Last edited by Skywalker2B on Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Re: Rebels, Rogue One, and Legends...a discussion
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'll start the ball rolling by giving my answers to my own questions

Allow me to preface my comments by stating that I'm a firm believer in the "It's all one big story, regardless of medium" idea put forth by the LFL Story Group.

Skywalker2B wrote:

1. Would you like to see characters from Rebels appear in R1? If so, who and why? If not, why not?

Yes, I would. I'd like to see Chopper and Hera. I think it'd be cool to see Hera transport some Rebel troops in the Ghost. This may sound strange, but the only lightsaber I want to see in R1 is Vader's, so no Kanan or Ezra. I'm not really a fan of Sabine or Zeb and don't think that they would translate too well to live action anyway.

Skywalker2B wrote:
2. Would you like to see any R1 characters (other than Vader) appear in Rebels? If so, who and why? If not, why not?

Most definitely! I think that would an awesome way to lead into R1 by introducing some of those characters in Rebels. Related to Q5, I'd like to see the small Rebels group meet up with the main Fleet in which they'd introduce Mon Mothma, Ackbar, Madine, and such. I'd also like it if they'd introduce some of the new Imperial officers from R1 in Rebels. Since most of the general audience for R1 don't watch Rebels, it would be "spoiler" material really.

Skywalker2B wrote:
3. Would you like to see Thrawn re-introduced into the new canon via Rebels and/or R1?

Yes, please. He's my favorite Imperial character and his inclusion could mean that we could get more characters from his stories. I must say though that, for me, I really want him to still be a Chiss in the new canon.

Skywalker2B wrote:
4. Are there any other Legends characters that you think would be a good fit in Rebels and/or R1?

Garm bel Iblis is the first to come to mind.

Skywalker2B wrote:

As I stated before, I'd like to see the Ghost crew and the small rebel fleet, led by Capt Santo, meet up with the alliance. I'd have the Imperials find them on their current "base" so that they have to escape. They then join up with the main fleet and relocate to Yavin IV. I'd like to see their group graduate from fuel stealing runs to actively opposing the Empire and even trying to recruit people to their cause. Maybe they could have a mission to unite various rebel cells into the main Alliance? I'd like to see them introduce the X and Y-Wings and some of the pilots we know from ANH. However, since we don't see any A-Wings in ANH, I'd guess that somehow Phoenix Sq. is either destroyed or deployed somewhere else by the time of ANH.

Skywalker2B wrote:

Despite what I said in Q1 and Q5, I think it would be a shocker ending if the whole crew, or what is left of the crew (I'm thinking maybe one or more of them die fairly early or mid season 3), are on a dangerous mission. They discover the Death Star nearing completion, the sphere with a hole in it and the super laser assembly floating nearby, but are seen by the Imperials. (Or, they are the ones that get the intell that the Empire will be testing a super weapon very soon) They attempt to escape and are pursued by the Empire. As they are being attacked by the TIE's they manage to get a message off to the Rebellion warning them of a super weapon. The TIE's are slowly taking down the shields. Hera tries some evasive maneuvers, but is caught in a Star Destroyer's tractor beam. They try something that makes us think they'll get away, but the cruiser opens fire with their turbo lasers and destroy the Ghost with all on board. The final scenes are the Alliance leadership discussing the intel and what to do about it...which leads directly into R1.

Skywalker2B wrote:
7. We know that R1 is about how the Rebellion gets the Death Star plans. How would you like to see R1 end?

I'd like to see it end with the plans beamed to the Tantive IV. It'd be pretty cool if they got someone to do Leia and kept it secret all this time.

Last edited by Skywalker2B on Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ooh, I love questionnaires!

I'm a little surprised we aren't seeing any characters from Rebels in Rogue One. Who knows, they might appear in the background, but I don't think they'll be a major part of it at this point. The idea of the Star Wars galaxy being small is something I've learned to embrace, so I wouldn't mind seeing Sabine, Zeb, or Hera in Rogue One. I would like the galaxy to be basically Jedi-less by the time of the OT though, so I think Kanan and Ezra should be out of action at that point (which may have already happened to Kanan now that he's blind).

2. Would you like to see any characters (other than Vader) appear in Rebels? If so, who and why? If not, why not?
I think it would be cool to see the Rebel Alliance become the Alliance we know from the films gradually over the course of the show and see characters like Admiral Ackbar, Wedge Antilles, Mon Mothma, Crix Madine etc. slowly form. If Rebels is only going to be three seasons, I'm not sure if they can do this without just tagging it on at the end though.

Definitely. I want as many EU characters re-introduced as possible. He needs to be Chiss though.

I think Mara Jade would be a good addition to Rebels.

As I said, I would like to see the Rebel Alliance continue to develop into what it is in the OT and I would like a good explanation for why Kanan and Ezra aren't around in the OT.

Honestly, I could see it leading right into the beginning of ANH - or maybe the beginning of Rogue One? - the way TCW was going to lead into RotS.

This is going to sound awful, but I would like to see most of the team not come out of this mission alive. It's been compared to Saving Private Ryan and I hope they have the guts to deliver. Maybe end by seeing the Tantive IV taking off with the plans on board?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. Not enough information (I don't watch it)
6. Leading up to the events of Episode IV, with mention of what's happening in Rogue One (as in, the series finale of Rebels and Rogue One take place at the same time.)
7. Jyn's corpse as she valiantly fought off wave after wave of Stormtroopers, a "100%: Transmission Complete" displaying on the screen. She has successfully transmitted the Death Star Plans. Back on Yavin 4, other surviving characters decide that some sort of Rogue unit will be part of the Rebellion in her honour.

Truth be told, I don't want much of Rebels or The Clone Wars to be in any movie. I think the show should make reference to the movies, but beyond maybe some off-hand remarks I think the movies should not reference the shows. Kind of like Agents of SHIELD and the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. The events of one affect the other, but the reverse only in tangential, background ways (my understanding is that there were some things in Age of Ultron, like "why are the Avengers attacking this place?" and "How did Nick Fury assemble this helicarrier crew?" were explained quite clearly in Agents of SHIELD, but those are things I don't care too much about).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

1. Anyone, really. Cause it would increase the odds of their one canon system being put to the test, and me learning once and for all whether Rebels is *really* canon, as in able to constrain a billion dollar movie.

6. Tough call. Half of them should die or be turned, but I can't really see the crew doing that, so some walk into the sunset-type thing?

7. With Vader mopping up the Rogues, but not before the plans have been beamed to Leia. Then the mercenary Rogue group being honored by getting their own real squadron after ANH.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Clinging to Legends while tentatively reaching toward canon...

I don't watch Rebels, so I don't really have an opinion on most of your questions, but the grand admiral in the Rogue One trailer intrigued me. Thrawn is my favorite character in the entire EU (Revan having fallen behind after the latest Old Republic expansion). As such, I have mixed feelings about him showing up in the new canon. I agree with what others have said about him needing to be Chiss. A human Thrawn is just not Thrawn. I guess I'd be super excited if I thought they would do it right, but I'm not sure they will. His character is summed up, for me, by three things:

1. He's a Chiss
2. He's a military genius
3. He studies the art of his opponents to learn their weaknesses

If they just want to pay homage to his character by making a grand admiral with a different name who's a military genius, that's fine. The idea is there, reminding us all of Thrawn while still being a different individual.

But if they try recreate Zahn's Thrawn, he better be pretty much identical. Do whatever you want with the plot, but I better feel like they plucked him out of Dark Force Rising and plunked him down in the middle of the new canon.
"Actually, I don't quite recall. But I was made, so the existence of my maker is beyond question. And since I consider my existence to be a good thing, he was without a doubt benevolent and forward thinking."
~Allana Solo and C-3PO

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote  

Yes, tie-ins are fun and it would add some legitimacy to this whole one-world concept of canon. They can say things are canon all they want, but if the movies don't play ball, then it's a farce and we're still dealing with C-canon vs G-canon just without the labels. Toss in a Sabine in the background or a puffer pig.

Yes, same reasons as above, plus it'll give us time to connect with someone which will help when we see the movie.

Via Rebels and he better be a blue skinned Chiss with red eyes, a tactical genius and lover of art. If they don't want to do that, then they should never touch the character or the name.

For Rebels: HK-47, Zuckuss & 4-LOM, and Jax Pavan.

Hera lamenting the losses of all the A-Wing pilots she's lost, Darth Maul vs Darth Vader, and Palpatine coming out of the shadows to try and turn Ezra but having to end up kill him.

See last part of above Smile

With R2 getting the Death Star plans, Princess Leia taking off to find Obi-Wan and someone in the Rogue group being Force choked by Vader and leaking that Leia has the plans.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1