Our Rebellion against Disney

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Our Rebellion against Disney
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

for those of you that do not like Disneys handling of our Beloved EU fear not there are others like you and we are forming a Rebellion, granted we are small in number now but with your help we can grow larger and eventually save the EU, So what do you say will join use ?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/533341320109211/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, man. I would so join, but unfortunately I'm not on Facebook. I'm with you in spirit.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Joined.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. (Based on polls at TFN, its about 50/50 actually)

Not that it will actually do anything to change Disney's mind sadly, but at least some of us will remember.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

A shame, given the incredibly awesome announcements made at SDCC, including a great new novel and three comics.

Good luck though.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

do you not know they are replacing our EU with there new so called Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

TK421 wrote:
do you not know they are replacing our EU with there new so called Cannon

I certainly hope not, given that cannons go BOOM.

Disney has set the old EU continuity aside and making a new canon EU. This is not a bad thing, in my opinion. Their new books and comics look interesting. If they looked terrible, then maybe I would be in agreement, but I fully intend to pick up at least four of the five new novels, and probably all three of the newly-announced comic series.

There were rebellions against Lucasfilm when they made The Clone Wars, because its continuity didn't line up with the comics and books we loved. The end result was an amazing TV show, and retroactively the vast majority of that continuity still worked. There was another much smaller one when the newer "Star Wars" comic series by Brian Wood threatened to undermine the post-Episode IV EU. Personally, I didn't care for those books, but I'm told they were enjoyable.

The most important part though is this: your Star Wars books and comics and games remain a thing. They remain real and interconnected and fully enjoyable to consume. Disney did not break into your house to steal your books. These new books and new movies will not agree with that material, but that's ok. Episode II didn't agree AT ALL with the Thrawn Trilogy (like, AT ALL). Lucas came out and said he didn't think the EU "happened" many many years ago, specifically citing things like Mara Jade and the Dark Empire books as being inconsistent with his vision. We didn't like it, but the books continued coming out, and we liked those.

So enjoy your old EU. Read it, love it, try and collect it all if you wish. My plan is to continue loving those, while also reading new stuff, particularly given the excellent creative teams.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Word.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:

Disney has set the old EU continuity aside and making a new canon EU. This is not a bad thing, in my opinion.

That is a matter of opinion though. And whatever the opinion may be, it wasn't necessary. And that's a rather big negative in my mind.

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Their new books and comics look interesting. If they looked terrible, then maybe I would be in agreement, but I fully intend to pick up at least four of the five new novels, and probably all three of the newly-announced comic series.

The new books aren't really fair to Judge. Tarkin and Heir were almost certainly planned before the sale.

The Vader buddy cop is completely out of character, The Rebels tie-in looks ok (though didn't require the reboot of the EU), and Ventress/Vos we know nothing about.

As for the comics:

Post-ANH comic #3823 is not interesting at all.
Vader comic - how does VADER lose prestige for TARKIN's pet project failing? Makes no sense
Leia - ok, this is at least unique. But is a mini-series.

So some good, some better.

Taral-DLOS wrote:
The most important part though is this: your Star Wars books and comics and games remain a thing. They remain real and interconnected and fully enjoyable to consume. Disney did not break into your house to steal your books. These new books and new movies will not agree with that material, but that's ok.

They remain in existance, and of course they didn't steal them. That's a pure straw-man argument.

They are no longer relevant. And that is a big change. And one that was not necessary to do in the EU's entirety. You could argue Post-ROTJ, post-Bantum or post-NJO, but there is not a single argument that makes any sense to wipe the entire EU as they did.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Tarkin and Heir were almost certainly planned before the sale.

I'm not sure. I think the sale was planned a bit before we ever new about it. I'd wager even back with Kathleen Kennedy took over Lucas was sending out feelers about selling. I suppose it's possible but I'm not sure they'd have been planned beyond "Oh, hey a book about Tarkin would be cool some day."

They are no longer relevant. And that is a big change.

Relevant to what though? They're all relevant to each other and the first 6 films same as they always were. They're still relevant to your life and your likes and dislikes. This idea of canon or non-canon is a false dichotomy. Fandoms for decades have had multiple canons. It doesn't make one or another wrong, it makes one active and the others not so.

but there is not a single argument that makes any sense to wipe the entire EU as they did.

If it were just books and comics I'd agree to an extant. "Because a clean slate would be interesting" is always an argument even if it isn't a strong one. But in this case the strongest and most relevant argument is new films. The new films need a clean slate. I'm sorry, but in my opinion there isn't an argument strong enough to convince me that the new films should take place in the same universe as the EU. Now, you can argue that we don't need new films and that'd be 100% fair and I wouldn't debate the point. But the fact is new films are happening and so this was the most logical course of action. That doesn't mean we have to like it however.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1