Marvel Star Wars (2015+) General Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marvel Star Wars (2015+) General Discussion
 PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So I wasn't sure there was a general thread for discussing all things relaunched Marvel Star Wars. I only saw individual threads for individual books.

Yesterday, Marvel solicited some new books of interest.

Quote:
STAR WARS LEGENDS EPIC COLLECTION: THE EMPIRE VOL. 1 TPB
Written by JOHN OSTRANDER, RANDY STRADLEY, HADEN BLACKMAN & ALEXANDER FREED
Penciled by LUKE ROSS, DOUGLAS WHEATLEY, JIM HALL, CHRIS SCALF, MARCO CASTIELLO, ANDREA CHELLA & RICK LEONARDI
Cover by LUKE ROSS
Let the dark times begin! Marvel welcomes Star Wars to the Epic Collection program, with this first volume of a series focused on the years following STAR WARS: EPISODE III — REVENGE OF THE SITH! After the Clone Wars’ end, the Republic has fallen and Palpatine exerts his ruthless grip on his new Galactic Empire. Now, the few Jedi that remain must decide whether to hold true to their faith, or abandon it completely in the face of a brutal purge — one carried out by the new Dark Lord of the Sith: Darth Vader! Collecting STAR WARS: REPUBLIC #78-80, STAR WARS: PURGE #1, STAR WARS: PURGE — SECONDS TO DIE #1, STAR WARS: PURGE — THE HIDDEN BLADE #1, STAR WARS: PURGE — THE TYRANT’S FIST #1-2, STAR WARS: DARTH VADER AND THE LOST COMMAND #1-5 and STAR WARS: DARK TIMES #1-5.
440 PGS./Rated T …$34.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-9398-2

I love the idea of these Epic Collections. Even though it's still clearly Legends, I love that they're reintroducing a bunch of post-ROTS books in a themed way like this. I plan to start buying a lot of these Epic Collections books (not this one, since I own everything in it), but there are some interesting looking Thor ones I'm looking at right now.

Quote:
STAR WARS: EPISODE IV — A NEW HOPE OGN-HC
Written by ROY THOMAS
Penciled by HOWARD CHAYKIN
Cover by ADI GRANOV
The original comic adaptation of the greatest space-fantasy film of all is remastered for the modern age with all-new coloring by Chris Sotomayor! Weeks before George Lucas’ first STAR WARS film hit theatres, Marvel gave fans their first look at Luke Skywalker, boldly asking: “Will he save the galaxy, or destroy it?” You may know the answer, but that doesn’t spoil the fun of seeing STAR WARS: EPISODE IV — A NEW HOPE like never before…including scenes that never made the silver screen! When Princess Leia is taken prisoner, Luke, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2 ride to the rescue and take on Darth Vader in his awesome Death Star. It’s six against a galaxy — one that’s far, far away and a long time ago! May the Force be with you, in the mighty Marvel manner! Collecting STAR WARS (1977) #1-6.
128 PGS./Rated T …$24.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-9348-7
Trim size: oversized

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Star Wars 1-6 from 1977 was a great re-telling of the movie, and even if the art is dated, I don't like how they're remastering it. It should look old; it is old (from a Star Wars perspective). But otherwise, it's an oversized hardcover, and would be good for bringing in new readership before Episode VII (while I like the old 1970s look of the original book, I'm sure The Kids Of Today wouldn't).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote  

It's something different. People can still get the originals, and now they can get a recolored version and see the difference between modern techniques and the style of old. I think from that perspective it would be neat, but it's a terrible idea to think of it as a replacement. That would be a crime. But every now and then they do this kind of thing to try and make older comics more palatable to newer readers.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1