Boba Fett film officially announced as 'in pre-production'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boba Fett film officially announced as 'in pre-production'
 PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Title of the thread says it all.

Discuss.

Personally I'm looking towards something like the new Dredd film, with its title character left helmeted and hidden and leaving his character where it was because it is already fully developed. We can see who Fett is through a side character or through his actions, but I don't need growth or anything. I just want to see the Fett we've read about (he honestly wasn't that rockin' in the OT and he was awful in the PT).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Keep in mind that this isn't confirmed yet.

If it is true, though, I hope Joe Johnston directs it. He designed Boba Fett, and he's wanted to make a spin-off about him for a long time. He better get the gig.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Actually as of today pre-production has indeed been confirmed all over the internet. No release date but story and crew shopping is going on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

While I'm not surprised, I'm not that enthused about it. I've never seen the appeal in Fett. He could have stayed dead from ROTJ and it wouldn't have bothered me at all.

As a huge Star Wars fan, I think this will likely be the one Star Wars film I'll skip.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Where has it been confirmed? Just today I read someone say the Internet rumor mill had confused a statement of someone saying the Fett film will be one of the standalones into his being the first, meaning we didn't even know that for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Actually as of today pre-production has indeed been confirmed all over the internet. No release date but story and crew shopping is going on.

Until Lucasfilm/Disney/Bad Robot says so, it's not a confirmation. This all started because of Jon Schnepp saying "I know for a fact that the spin-off film is about Boba Fett" on the AMC movie podcast, and he refused to give his source.

Is it true? Probably. But until we hear it from the horse's mouth, it's not confirmed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, I won't believe anything until I hear it from a real source, like Kathleen Kennedy or Alan Horn, or I suppose J.J. Abrams or Lawrence Kasdan. And I haven't seen a single Facebook post about it, and it would definitely be all over Facebook if it was an actual confirmation.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

And pre production means nothing in Hollywood. That just means someone had an idea for a movie.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

Re: Boba Fett film officially announced as 'in pre-productio
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
I just want to see the Fett we've read about (he honestly wasn't that rockin' in the OT and he was awful in the PT).

Agreed 100%. Fett is one of my favourite characters if you include the EU, but film has never done him justice. He actually was pretty cool in ESB (he made off with one of the major characters), but he was pathetic in RotJ. No lie, the moment when Fett falls into the Sarlacc might just be my least favourite moment in the entire Saga (and with Jar Jar around, that's saying something). This has potential, but I'm not getting excited just yet.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

That brings up an interesting question, actually. If the new movies end up overlooking the EU, prizing the movies as the only gospel, can they even make Boba anything special? And if they end up doing so while disregarding the EU, can't that be accused of them fanpowering an originally weak character?

Basically: Is a non-EU Boba Fett worthy of his own movie in the first place?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
That brings up an interesting question, actually. If the new movies end up overlooking the EU, prizing the movies as the only gospel, can they even make Boba anything special? And if they end up doing so while disregarding the EU, can't that be accused of them fanpowering an originally weak character?

Basically: Is a non-EU Boba Fett worthy of his own movie in the first place?

Of course. The only reason he's a big player in the EU is because he developed such a cult fan base with his role in ESB.

If this is true, I think they should set it in between RotS and ANH. Fans would get the Fett they want to see, Daniel Logan could return to the role, and even Disney could benefit by tying a season of "Rebels" into it. They could set it in the same timeline as the ST as well, but I don't know if an 80-year old Boba Fett would be the most logical choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Jedi Joe wrote:
Of course. The only reason he's a big player in the EU is because he developed such a cult fan base with his role in ESB.

Was he really? Having grown up on modern EU fare where Boba is a beast, reading stories with his Marvel incarnation was extremely jarring considering how weak a push-over he appeared back then. I don't doubt that he was cool even in the movies, what I doubt is that he would have been the EU's answer to Batman without that very same EU to fanpower him.

He is getting origin stories along with Yoda and Han Solo, for crying out loud. His coolness in the movies is not that great. What about Mace Windu, Lando, the other ESB bounty hunters. Lobot? Jabba? Those are more Boba's tier.

No way does his movie appearance alone justify it's own spin-off movie solely on the character's merits or importance to the story. It would be fanpowered all the way.

The only excuse I can think of is how this has happened already in TCW, with epix Mandos and kid Boba kicking butt in spite of the template's poor showing in RotJ. Fanpowered already, but at least it provides a precedence. But then, TCW didn't really tear the EU down the way the ST is poised to.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I will say this: If Lucasfilm et al don't use the awesome character developed in the EU (I'm just talking about his personality, identity etc., canon details are another matter entirely), then they are fools.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Here's my thing with "Disney". Marvel (Avengers Franchise) seems to be doing just fine. Even when a movie isn't as good as the rest, none of them have been unbearably awful. Maybe, at first, Disney might stick their hands in to get things off of the ground. But I doubt they will be any more involved with the series than they are with Marvel once it's off the ground. And I trust Kathleen Kennedy. Bring on the standalone films. Let Star Wars show these "big" franchises who's boss.

Sure I am nervous because I love this saga. But feeling actively nervous for the next few years is too much energy. I'll believe it's terrible when I see it.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
The only reason he's a big player in the EU is because he developed such a cult fan base with his role in ESB.

Don't forget the Holiday Special. They should do that again. Disney just did Lady Gaga and the Muppets. How about Boba Fett meets Miley Cyrus?
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 2