Game of Thrones/ A Song of Ice and Fire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote  

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
The recast of Daario actually sort of pleases me.

That explains a lot. I missed the memo that they recast the role so I was very confused who the heck this guy was.

I was pleased with the Purple Wedding but I still would've liked something more along the lines of what happened to Theon to have happened to the little twit before he died. But he so needed to die.

(No I haven't read the books but I figure that I don't want to spoil the show or ruin it by reading the books while the show is going and thinking "hey they left out detail XXXX" so I'll just read the books after the show ends.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:
The recast of Daario actually sort of pleases me.

That explains a lot. I missed the memo that they recast the role so I was very confused who the heck this guy was.

I was pleased with the Purple Wedding but I still would've liked something more along the lines of what happened to Theon to have happened to the little twit before he died. But he so needed to die.

(No I haven't read the books but I figure that I don't want to spoil the show or ruin it by reading the books while the show is going and thinking "hey they left out detail XXXX" so I'll just read the books after the show ends.)

Well...(Book Spoilers Follow)

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, but they got him going Violet Beauregard in Willy Wonka down perfectly.

The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

All hail Joffery. He died how he lived. A complete sh*t. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the fallout from his death. I'm also super excited for them to introduce

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

Last edited by Queen Padmè Skywalker on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote  

Caedus_16 wrote:

Well...(Book Spoilers Follow)

This pleases might quite greatly. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I did not care for tonight's episode, especially the Jaime and Cersei scene.

Stannis and the Iron Bank seems like it was bumped way down from later in the books, but I suppose it's really not that far off. I am really liking how the show has been shifting around books scenes like that to fill in time that they needed to waste instead of new)d) scenes, as usual. And all the new scenes are mostly dialogue from characters that we never heard from mixed into adapted scenes/dialogue, like Tyrion and pod, Tywin and Tommen, which is also a plus.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

AGOT, ACOK, and ASOS done, should have AFFC done by the middle of next week, and then read ADWD in May. Throughly enjoying the series with all the twists and turns.

Last edited by Alan Skywalker V on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

All hail Joffery. He died how he lived. A complete sh*t. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the fallout from his death. I'm also super excited for them to introduce

Oh yeah! I found a clip of the scene on Youtube last week and watched it sevral times. Mom and Dad watched it too and were quite happy.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I did not care for tonight's episode, especially the Jaime and Cersei scene.

I've seen quite a bit of outrage over that scene. Honestly, the one from this week in Craster's Keep disturbed me way more. What I can't understand is why

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I think it's mainly because people were starting to like him. Having to be reminded of the fact that he's not actually nice was probably a little jarring.

EDIT: Some people have also mentioned that he didn't rape her in the books. That the sex scene, although creepy as hell, was consensual. Maybe that's something to do with it?

Another thing: he doesn't care about his kids? Granted, I doubt he'll be winning any Westeros Father of the Year awards, but I did get the impression that he cared about them. I may be reading too much into his actions, though.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
I think it's mainly because people were starting to like him. Having to be reminded of the fact that he's not actually nice was probably a little jarring.

EDIT: Some people have also mentioned that he didn't rape her in the books. That the sex scene, although creepy as hell, was consensual. Maybe that's something to do with it?

I disagree with that interpretation of the book scene. He forces himself on her and she eventually says yes, which to me isn't really consensual (especially since it's from Jaime's point-of-view - who knows how Cersei actually felt during that scene).

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's clearly consensual in the book, or at least as much as it's possible in that kind of situation. Cersei objects to the place and the time, true, but she also gushes about how she loves him, not flinging him off and shouting "no!". She hasn't yet lost passion for him and she is glad to have him back. That's the key difference.

On the show he has already been back, so it's not the first time they are alone together, and she has already told him that she is over him, basically.

The biggest problem is not that it is assault, but that it's unclear. It sure seems like assault, which leads us the viewers to wonder what the point of the scene is. Is it the fracturing of their relationship? Are we supposed to be disgusted by Jaime and sympathetic for Cersei? Turns out not, because the producers were confused too and they weren't sure what the point was. In the future that scene will not be referenced or impactful towards anything. That's why myself and others were so bothered, not by the scene, but by the behind the scenes responses. The producers created a creepy scene, seemingly just for shock value, and they didn't even have a plan for why.

You have Jaime at his worst, and then in the next week he does his best, most honorable deed ever. His characterization is all over the place. It's the same as when they had him kill his cousin, which is actually the worst thing he's ever done. He murdered his own family! But they wrote it just for a plot point and didn't put any consideration into why he did that or to what end... ultimately to no end, because it doesn't matter, it's forgotten and it was just a way to dispense with a character they didn't need anymore.

Although the show is very violent, the violence almost always serves a point that makes it necessary to show. But once in a while it's just shock value, like Ros' death, that is cheap and exploitative, and brings down the high quality of the show.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

GrandMaster wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

I disagree with that interpretation of the book scene. He forces himself on her and she eventually says yes, which to me isn't really consensual (especially since it's from Jaime's point-of-view - who knows how Cersei actually felt during that scene).

To be clear I haven't read it myself, it's just what I gather from listening to others who have.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Has anyone listened to the commentaries? I've done them for seasons 1 and 2 and they were, for the most part, pretty good. Lots of interesting facts and stories.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 3 of 7