Game of Thrones/ A Song of Ice and Fire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I haven't, but from the clips I've seen, the cast seems entertaining.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

To understand why GOT is the way it is you need to understand Martin's writing history. I think it's pretty interesting, so here's a summary.

He started out writing scifi short stories and then wrote his first novel based on that series. He then wrote some other series and came up with a half dozen series ideas that he only wrote one or two stories for. He decided he wanted to be a novelist and wrote his second novel, a horror story. His series Windhaven was published in a collected edition. His third novel totally bombed in sales and then no one wanted to publish his fourth novel.

He was going to retire from writing, but a friend convinced him to work with him for a TV screen writing project. The publishers of Windhaven commissioned him to write a sequel, but he blew that off when he got hired as a full time TV writer. After his TV show ended he went back to writing and started on a sequel to his scifi novel. While writing it he came up with an idea about a boy who witnesses an execution and so he blew off the book and wrote the first chapter of Game of Thrones.

He then blew off that story because a pilot he wrote got picked up and filmed, but didn't get renewed for a whole season. He said that if it had he never would have written Game of Thrones.

Martin figured A Song of Ice and Fire would be a trilogy. He came up with the ending and wrote an outline for the first book. After starting to write GOT he knew that wasn't going to work out because the ending for book 1 was the Red Wedding, and decided it would be 4 books. The first three books are what they are and the fourth would be the ending.

He set the fourth book to skip ahead five years, but didn't like how it turned out. He decided to make it five books and write the book in between, but he didn't like that either and he rewrote it again. After four or five years book 4 was published and he said that he had decided to split the book into two parts and implied the second half was mostly done.

After five more years book 5 still had not came out. There's no way it took him five years to write half a book and I believe that he just gave up on the series and didn't want to write it anymore. But then GOT got picked up for the show and I'm sure that finishing the books was part of the deal. They lit a fire under his butt and got him to finish up book 5. The left over material from the end of that book is a good chunk of book six which he's now had 3 years to write and that's where it currently stands. That should give him two years to write the final book, which he pretty much wrote already so I don't see that as a problem.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Thoughts on the last few episodes of the season, y'all?

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Opposite for me. I thought the battle at the wall was the best episode yet. Instead of having two battles with Jon Snow, having the battles simultaneously and putting Sam in to replace to Jon's role at Castle Black was a really good choice for TV. My only complaint was that I would have liked a little bit of a longer scene between Ygritte and Jon.

Now as for episode ten, the wall part two was the only part I liked. Well, I did like Dany's scene too. but I was really disappointed in Tyrion's scene. Changing his motivation didn't make a lot of sense, and I think the most emotionally impactful point of his life so far should have been longer than five minutes.

While I generally liked the generally hated Beetle speech, that was five minutes that they could have put toward extending the combat or any other part of the trial, to better use. Same here with the pointless and much maligned Brienne/Hound fight. They could have focused more on arya, more on Tyrion, even more on Danaerys. Any would have been better used.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Couldn't agree more about changing Tyrion's motivation. That hurt his character badly. Other than that I didn't mind the episode though.

I have to say that Jon and Ygritte had a perfect moment. They had evolved beyond words at that point and then traded what little they had to.

Who hates the beetle monologue? I loved it, and I saw a lot of love for it around the interwebs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't really talk TV other than on here and IMDB, where they hate everything, other than Stannis and they hate TV Stannis for not being as manly as they apparently imagined book Stannis to be.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Check out reddit, the sub /r/asoiaf is fantastic for the most part. Gets pretty good and they are fans of both while adhering to the books as the standard. I think you would like parts of that sub.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The beetle monologue went on for about five years. Only thing that saved it was Dinklage's impeccable delivery. I was at first willing to forgive the omission of the Tysha backstory....then I realized that the show has spent time on far less interesting and vital bits of exposition. So, a disappointment, but I still think the Tywin/Tyrion scene was well done.

I'm really looking forward to Arya's plotline next season. I worry for Dany, the book isn't going to give the writers much to do with her, so I imagine they'll have to deviate significantly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't remember, but didn't they actually say that Tyrion was married before? At least twice, I think. We got the story in season one or so, and then he briefly mentioned it to Sansa.

I could see them cutting it out if they had never bothered to introduce it into the show in the first place, but the fact that they DID is what makes me scratch about why they didn't bother to follow through on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Spoilers for Book 5 below...

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Question: are the books significantly better than the TV show? One of these days I'm going to watch and/or read GoT. Normally, I read then watch, but I'm leaning more towards just watching the show and then maybe reading the books afterwards. Reason being, the books are massive, I'm a slow reader, and I have many, many other books I've been meaning to read. I like long books, but only if I feel they were worth my time.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I really enjoyed the final episode, but I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed by the Battle at the Wall.

It may be because I had just finished reading the book like a week before, and I pictured a bit more of an epic battle.

I did like the fight between Brienne and the Hound a lot though.
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I don't remember, but didn't they actually say that Tyrion was married before? At least twice, I think. We got the story in season one or so, and then he briefly mentioned it to Sansa.

I could see them cutting it out if they had never bothered to introduce it into the show in the first place, but the fact that they DID is what makes me scratch about why they didn't bother to follow through on it.

Yeah, it would've been better for Tyrion's character to give all that background, which would have better explained his bitterness against Tywin and ambivalence toward Jaime. As it was, it seemed a little....sudden that he'd move against his father after taking Tywin's disdain for so long. But I guess you could argue that having Tywin sentence him to death even knowing his innocence pushed him over the edge. However, I'd think Tyrion would know that's typical of Tywin.

@GrandMaster: I tend to think it's legit, as well. It's not completely implausible.

@Reep: I'd say that the show's changes are hit and miss. Sometimes the changes they make from the books are better, sometimes not. I think the books are worth it, though, because of the time they can devote to fleshing things out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Question: are the books significantly better than the TV show? One of these days I'm going to watch and/or read GoT. Normally, I read then watch, but I'm leaning more towards just watching the show and then maybe reading the books afterwards. Reason being, the books are massive, I'm a slow reader, and I have many, many other books I've been meaning to read. I like long books, but only if I feel they were worth my time.

There are strengths and weaknesses to both. The books can be ponderous at times, but the POV structure allows us to see the characters' inner thougts, which doesn't translate well to TV. The show, on the other hand, isn't bound to the POV structure, allowing us to see scenes that we could never see in the books (like all those Varys and Littlefinger verbal sparring matches).

Personally, I found that I liked some of the POV characters a lot more after I saw the show, especially Sansa, and I really like the show's ability to flesh out non-POV characters.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Spoilers for Book 5 below...

Faegon is Fake!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 4 of 7