A New Dawn - September 2014
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
A New Dawn - September 2014
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote  

Star Wars Books has teased a new banner on their Facebook page and I think it means new adult Star Wars novels coming in September.

...but does it mean a reboot?

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152377966828713&set=a.10150666700418713.414920.67519418712&type=1&theater

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

*whimper* Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I have mixed feelings about this...if it's the "dreaded" reboot. Part of me is curious to see what they do, the other part wants to say "forget you DR/Disney/LFL".

I would, though, love to read a sequel to JJM's Kenobi. I would hope he'd include more of OB1's training with Qui-Gon based on what we've learned from the Yoda arc of TCW Lost Missions.

On the positive side of a probable reboot, they could "right the wrongs" that were done by Bantam back in the 90's. For example: Luke should have started training Leia in the force right out of the gate after RotJ. And there should have been more interaction between Luke and the 3 force ghosts (and maybe even allow Luke to speak to Qui-Gon) and help him to re-establish the Jedi Order but with the lessons learned from Yoda, et al. The 3 force ghosts train Luke how to do the same. Stuff like that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

They also posted this today.

Quote:
Del Rey Books is thrilled to be on board with the just-announced unified Star Wars storytelling program as the leader of the Star Wars adult fiction publishing program. To celebrate, we're revealing our first four upcoming novels created in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group:

STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN by John Jackson Miller, on sale September 2, 2014

STAR WARS: TARKIN by James Luceno, on sale November 4, 2014

STAR WARS: HEIR TO THE JEDI by Kevin Hearne, on sale January 2015

STAR WARS: LORDS OF THE SITH by Paul S. Kemp, on sale March 2015

In our second upcoming novel created in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group, bestselling Star Wars veteran James Luceno gives Tarkin the Darth Plagueis treatment, bringing a legendary character from A New Hope to full, fascinating life. Coming November 4, 2014. Jacket art by David Smit.

Head over to StarWars.com for the official Del Rey press release about the future of Star Wars novels, along with an official announcement from Lucasfilm about the legacy of the Expanded Universe and its place as the newly-branded Star Wars: Legends line. And keep checking our Facebook page throughout the day for more cover reveals.

And then there is this:

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

So all in all, it's what many have been dreading. Basically the old EU is dead, though will remain in print (how nice of them), and the new books will take the bits from the old EU as they see fit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Skywalker2B wrote:
On the positive side of a probable reboot, they could "right the wrongs" that were done by Bantam back in the 90's. For example: Luke should have started training Leia in the force right out of the gate after RotJ. And there should have been more interaction between Luke and the 3 force ghosts (and maybe even allow Luke to speak to Qui-Gon) and help him to re-establish the Jedi Order but with the lessons learned from Yoda, et al. The 3 force ghosts train Luke how to do the same. Stuff like that.

I don't know if I'd call those problems. Realistically, Leia was far more useful and did more good as a diplomat and politician in the years after ROTJ then she would have as a Jedi. Plus they did mention she got training when they could fit it in. Now I know some will say being a Jedi would have made her a better diplomat and politician, but considering how much the Emperor made people hate Jedi, I'm not so sure about that. At least not at first.

As for the other Jedi Ghosts, I think that would have been a crutch in Luke's character progression. At that point, he needed to move beyond the teachers and start fresh. Keeping the ghosts around would have kept in as an eternal student.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Aw, yea! New books. New status quo! Still tying into some EU (though clearly not post-ROTJ EU).

I'm happy.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

He's married......... He has a son...... Oh Mara Jade is not going to like Luke having a second family....

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm going to make the effort not to hate this. I'm going to fail, but I will make the effort.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Gotta say I'm tempted to read the Kemp book. He was my favourite EU author.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

So it was finally confirmed: The old EU is dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-pjk9ZlS50&feature=player_embedded

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

So basically, everything the EU ever did set after ROTJ is no longer in canon, and probably everything before ROTJ, too. I knew this would happen. So, when the last post ROTJ EU book is published (there are a few supposed to come out, unless they get cancelled) the Star Wars Universe will officially be dead.

The EU has always made the Star Wars universe great for me, not the three good movies and 3 bad movies. Many of my favorite Star Wars characters never showed up in a movie. Every truly great Star wars story (like The Thrawn Trilogy) was done in the expanded universe. The movies were definitely important, but even the original trilogy, as great as it is, can't hold a candle to the stuff that came out of it in the EU.

This is it, the whole Star Wars franchise is completely dead, it doesn't even get a book life line like Star Trek has. Instead, its all Disney Wars, all the time! Screw the large amount of EU fans, you get a bunch of tie in junk that follows movies made by a 3rd rate action movie director and a few hack writers. I will now literally only have Star Trek to give me any good new tie-in Sci-Fi in book form (and its hard to find any good Sci-Fi that's not a SW or Star Trek book nowadays).

I'll still collect the old stuff and read that, but SW is dead, outside of a possible few last books it will no longer produce anything worthwhile. The work of a huge amount of writers, many of them very good, is being thrown away without a second thought, outside of maybe a few names and a reference here or there. I hope they don't get many old EU writers involved in the new stuff. It would be really depressing to see someone like Timothy Zahn or Troy Denning try to create something out whatever small SW elements are left after the Abrams/Disney movies are done with the remains of the franchise.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Maybe I'm alone here, but I'm pretty excited about this. We're getting new books from John Jackson Miller, James Luceno, and Paul S. Kemp! Sure, the EU as we know it is ended, but I for one will continue to read new SW novels, in whatever form they come.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

^Now, that's brand loyalty you just can't buy. Disney loves you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I think I'm going to try to not spend any money on this new stuff. This is not written in stone, but it's what I would like to do. I'll probably still "experience" the new stuff out of curiosity, but I really don't want to pay for it. As insignificant as my rebellion might be, I want the satisfaction of knowing that I'm not supporting this. No matter how much they pretty it up, this is a huge "screw you" to the entire EU fanbase and every artist that has worked on an EU book, comic, or video game.

Niner wrote:
The EU has always made the Star Wars universe great for me, not the three good movies and 3 bad movies. Many of my favorite Star Wars characters never showed up in a movie. Every truly great Star wars story (like The Thrawn Trilogy) was done in the expanded universe. The movies were definitely important, but even the original trilogy, as great as it is, can't hold a candle to the stuff that came out of it in the EU.

I loved the OT to death when I first saw it (still do), but I think it was the EU that really made me a fan. If I rejected the EU, I would essentially be rejecting much of what I think of as Star Wars.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 5