A New Dawn - September 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The EU started with Splinter of the Mind's Eye in '78. That's 36 years between then and the reboot. That's really not a universe that's constantly changing. Even if it does reboot again, it's not likely for at least a decade, probably more. Probably not until the film rights change again (and it's not like that happens all of the time, even with other franchises). One reboot in 3 and a half decades should not break the faith of fans. Nor should it make us feel like there's no consistency. Starting anew rather than forcing cumbersome retcons is promoting consistency.

And the "Legends" still matter. It's not like the new book matter more to anything. It's not religious canon. No one's soul is gained or lost. Your own enjoyment and happiness is what matters, so read the books that matter to you. If you never read one of the new canon so be it. All things end eventually. You could read "Legends" stuff your whole life and never have it memorized there's so much of it.

Now there's room for some much more! Comparing and contrasting. Looking at how themes and elements worked through the stories. There the EU character tourney here. Imagine discussing EU Quinlan vs NewU Quinlan. Who would win in a fight? If you write fan fiction imagine the cross overs you could create!

I don't mean to belittle any sadness. I've had long running things I've loved end. It can be a heavy depression for a time. But I'm just sad to think that so many would be made sad and cynical over something that has the chance to be amazing. It hasn't sucked yet. Give it time. If you get a new pat do you worry that this pet will suck compared to your old pet?

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Hear, hear!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I imagine one would be more wary of getting a new pet after the first one was suddenly run over without warning, causing heartache one was blissfully unaware of before. There is such a thing as a bell that cannot be unrung emotionally.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Depends. I've always wanted another pet after one died whether it was sudden or not.

And this was hardly a case where there was no warning. Fans have been wondering for a year and a half now. I'd hardly call this sudden.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Your initial plea seemed to be aimed at people in general, though. My counter that it is a well-known phenomenon for people who have been burned to fear fire, is not reliably refuted by citing someone who will put their hand into the stove again and again because the payoff is worthwhile. People are different. You were the one unwilling to accept that.

Plenty of people are proclaiming how the death of the EU was obvious ever since the sale, and it was among the first predictions going around at the time. It got me to give it up. And the sale was certainly sudden. This latest development is more about final confirmation and crushing the hopes of the dauntless optimists, like the comatose pet on life support finally expiring.

Nothing that would take away from learning to fear similar loss in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was referring to people in general, yes. But in reference to the loss of something not the act of getting burned. And I don't see where I've been unwilling to accept anything?
Confused

The sale was sudden but also a year and a half ago. And the idea of "one canon" was announced a little while ago. And either way that honestly has little to do with the point I was trying to make. I was simply saying a loss of any kind happened and that needed taint what's to come. I was just responding to where you took the point. Drawn out or out of the blue it happened.

And life is all about learning to live and not fearing the future haha

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Proudfoot wrote:
I own every EU novel in paperback form, as well as every essential guide and other reference materials. They are all for sale if anyone's interested?

2 years ago I would never have dreamed of selling any of this stuff, but they honestly mean nothing now.

If you have the old 80s RPG, Adventure Journal or the Star Wars Missions books from Scholastic (late 90s), you have a customer interested.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Quite unintentionally I just stumbled on a tribute I made awhile back, and it has never seemed more appropriate than now. Sadness all around.

Star Wars: The Old Republic to Legacy of the Force

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Quite unintentionally I just stumbled on a tribute I made awhile back, and it has never seemed more appropriate than now. Sadness all around.

Star Wars: The Old Republic to Legacy of the Force

This made me sadder than I expected...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
I was referring to people in general, yes. But in reference to the loss of something not the act of getting burned. And I don't see where I've been unwilling to accept anything?
Confused

By asking people in general to embrace the new pet heedless of the lesson just learned, and then justifying it only with personal willingness to do so, your unwillingness to accept that people are different is the only possible conclusion. The only way your willingness to not learn from getting burned matters to a general plea, is if you think others do or ought to think like you.

Quote:
And life is all about learning to live and not fearing the future haha

I see your encouragement, and raise you an "we wouldn't have evolved such psychological protection if it wasn't adaptive". The truth probably lies in the middle, though, with both attitudes being adaptive enough to keep around for when lean times strike.

But you are the only one telling the other side to defy their natural inclination.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm sorry you've been taking my posts that way. I've sad that I understand the sadness that this ended. I feel it as well. But that doesn't mean I feel burned or hurt in some way to where I am afraid to get into Star Wars again. I've been expressing my sadness that people feel that way and hoping to see people perhaps find some silver linings in all of this. But if you or anyone can't I don't think I'm somehow better than you. I've not been saying that at all.

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote  

No tears here. Bring on an awesome Paul S. Kemp novel and another great John Jackson Miller book. I am a little wary of the Tarkin book (No more politics! Please!).

As for making all of the existing EU part of Star Wars Legends, I think it's a good move. It's just like what they did with the Star Wars Marvel comics. It's there and can be drawn upon where ever they can make it fit. And let's face it, when they announced three move movies, that was the moment the EU died. When I heard George Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney and they were making three more films, I was not overjoyed, I was trepidatious. I knew the EU was at an end.

But I've had time to deal with that and accept it. I wasn't sure how it would feel once they made it official, but I'm surprisingly happy. The old EU is still going to be on the bookshelves. Star Wars novels will continue. And best of all, the authors I like are still going to be writing them. I'm actually really looking forward to what Timothy Zahn's next Star Wars book is going to be (cause seeing him in that tribute film to the EU makes me very optimistic that they're keeping him around for more books).

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Maybe I'm alone here, but I'm pretty excited about this. We're getting new books from John Jackson Miller, James Luceno, and Paul S. Kemp! Sure, the EU as we know it is ended, but I for one will continue to read new SW novels, in whatever form they come.

You're not alone. I suspect I'll be checking these out. The authors are great, and the stories look interesting.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

D. Skuldren, that's exactly how I feel!

I think I might be most concerned about the Luke novel not because of story but because I really, really don't like to read first person novels. I'm kinda hoping that doesn't become a trend for my own personal tastes. But that's hardly a deal breaker. I'm sure my policy of "Is Star Wars on the cover? Woot!" will stick. For Tarkin I'm interested only in that he didn't get so much press like he did before (and they'll be referencing the Citadel episodes of TCW, so it'll be like the OT and TCW all in one and yet in a completely new universe full of mystery!) Luceno is kinda hit and miss with me only because he's very wordy. I loved some of his books and didn't like others.

I wonder how much stuff from Plagueis will carry over? They held that book back so long that they had to have made some of those decisions knowing what was going to happen. I think the folks at LucasFilm knew about these new films a heck of a lot sooner than we did.

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I think I've run the gambit on the emotional scale over this announcement. *sigh* The one thing that I truely find "exciting" is to see what things from the "Legends" material will be pulled into the NewU. For example, as much as Thrawn is loved by almost all readers, I'm expecting him to show up again in some form or fashion. And they already said that the ISB is NewU, so I'm also expecting to see Ysanne Isard and/or her father (maybe in Rebels?). Unfortunately, knowing that GL was not a fan of Mara Jade and Luke getting married and having a child, I doubt we'll see that happen. Now, we may see Mara again, but I suspect she'll be a different character or at least not really have an interaction with Luke.

My bet is that next year, perhaps at CVII or ComicCon, they'll announce the first post-RotJ novel to be released early 2016. Until then all we'll get is pre-ANH and inbetween ANH/ESB books. Disney's goal is to get the kids that have only seen TCW interested in the OT now. I don't think they're too concerned about those of us that have been around for decades.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 5