A New Dawn - September 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Ugh. When I just posted that last reply the pic in the corner was that shark head guy from TCW. All I could think of was "Really? That guy is now officially canon? Can you say Jaxxon?" Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lucas not being a fan of Luke getting married isn't the end all anymore... though I am sure it still bears weight. It does track that Jedi marrying is the biggest difference between the two Jedi Orders and if they make Jedi "celibate" again that could really change things. (Though it would solve the issue of main characters all having one of three of four last names...)

I really wouldn't want that for the rather simple reason of I hated how all the pre-OT stuff couldn't have a Jedi that didn't at some point fall in love. Like maybe two never did. Maybe. I really wouldn't want to watch that on screen over and over and over....

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

That VII story treatment has to be pretty damn vague and abstract for GL not to have the power to decide if Luke is/was married or not. And with it tying so strongly into Jedi philosophy and Ani's fall, it is unlikely to be something Disney vetos him over as if it was some personal preference that might undermine the quality of the film.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Depends on how close they stick to his treatment. Especially after a few different screen writers. Though it's entirely possible they will. It would be a blow to marketing to cut off Skywalker descendants, which would be the main reason why they'd need to change it. Still, it'd be easy to shift a young protagonist from being the biological son of Luke Skywalker to an adoptive son or just someone Luke treats as a son. Unless the plot is about Luke's wife giving birth to a half-Jedi half super weapon, it's probably not that important to anything but philosophy if Luke has a biological child. But it could easily go either way.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm sorry, I didn't catch the reasoning why Disney would be invested one way or another.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If Lucas didn't want Luke to have kids, Disney/LucasFilm might change that decision because future movies following a character with the last name Skywalker are far more marketable and they have a better chance of profit. However, there's a dozen other recognizable names they could use, not to mention Solo kids. So they might not care in the long run.

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Hm. Point.

And now that I think about it, GL could pretty much go either way on the issue and still support some aspect of his "Tragedy". Either marriage is evil because it caused Ani to fall, or it is good because the resulting offspring and Vader's position were what allowed the prophesy to be fulfilled.

Meaning Disney could conceivably be guided purely by marketing benefit, and still find refuge in movie precedent. Scary thought. Confused

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

and now that George has remarried maybe he has changed his opinion on marriage for Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Hah! I love the notion of GL making marriage the road to evil in bitterness over his divorce. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Darth Skuldren wrote:
No tears here. Bring on an awesome Paul S. Kemp novel and another great John Jackson Miller book. I am a little wary of the Tarkin book (No more politics! Please!).

As for making all of the existing EU part of Star Wars Legends, I think it's a good move. It's just like what they did with the Star Wars Marvel comics. It's there and can be drawn upon where ever they can make it fit. And let's face it, when they announced three move movies, that was the moment the EU died. When I heard George Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney and they were making three more films, I was not overjoyed, I was trepidatious. I knew the EU was at an end.

But I've had time to deal with that and accept it. I wasn't sure how it would feel once they made it official, but I'm surprisingly happy. The old EU is still going to be on the bookshelves. Star Wars novels will continue. And best of all, the authors I like are still going to be writing them. I'm actually really looking forward to what Timothy Zahn's next Star Wars book is going to be (cause seeing him in that tribute film to the EU makes me very optimistic that they're keeping him around for more books).

I can't say I'm as upbeat as you, Skuls, but I do agree with the general sentiment here.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote  

As long as they keep the existing authors around, I'll be okay. Getting rid of them would be a BIG mistake.

Now thinking about the new canon, if Star Wars Episode VII makes some huge changes that completely invalidates the core aspects of say the Thrawn Trilogy, would Zahn be willing to write another Thrawn book that would fit into the new canon? I'm not sure that he would...unless they let him do the novelization for the film and Thrawn is in it.

There's also the thought about time periods. 'A New Dawn', 'Lords of the Sith', 'Heir to the Jedi', 'Tarkin', will we see books branching off into far flung time periods any time soon? Is Tim Lebbon still going to get a shot at another Dawn of the Jedi novel?

And the big question is whether the Star Wars Legends line is a closed canon or if there is the possibility to add new stories to that line. For example, Christie Golden's Sword of the Jedi series.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I think that is always a possibility for new book to be written in the "Legends" continuity. We are not losing anything, the old books will ALWAYS be there in some form, and we are getting four new books which sound fantastic so far.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Disney will naturally do whatever is profitable, but for now, there are no plans to continue the LU.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

AceAzzameen wrote:
I think that is always a possibility for new book to be written in the "Legends" continuity. We are not losing anything, the old books will ALWAYS be there in some form, and we are getting four new books which sound fantastic so far.

YOu and I have different definitions of fantastic.

They come across as rather played out filler to me that are unlikely to go anywhere (baring the rebels one which will be "new" simply because of original characters).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 4 of 5