Lords of the Sith by Paul S. Kemp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote  

Vader/Emperor awesomeness + starfighter combat + ground combat = a dose of awesomeness? Oh, and there are more Twi'leks than you've ever gotten in a Star Wars novel before.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

DS, a couple questions for ya...

Based on how I liked, or rather didn't really like, the last couple new canon books, I'm not yet sure if I'm even going to get this one.

1. How prevalent is the advertised gay character, Moff Mors? Is her sexuality overt, in your face, sort of thing, or more like the Legends books where it was subtle and could even be missed if you're not looking?

2. I'm not a big fan of the villians, but ironically I enjoyed the Plagueis (I can never spell his name right) book? Does this book basically show the "good guys" getting their rear ends handed to them left and right? Does it prop up the bad guys and make them look like the good guys and want you to cheer for them?

3. Are there any previously unknown "revelations" that may change how we see the characters in other mediums (like Rebels and the movies)?

4. Anything that you think may connect with The Force Awakens?

I'm not asking for spoilers, just trying to see if I want to spend my money on this book or not.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just finished this bad boy! This is the first must read of the new cannon! A New dawn was good, but this was SW the done very right. Kemp took the classic "3 part arc rise and fall" method of delivering stories and threw it right out the window! There was a large enough action scene at about 15% in to the book in that could have been the entire plot of a lesser book. There was no telling when this book would peak or twist just action in your face the whole time. Honestly at least 6-7 action scenes that could have been considered the big one. To answer your questions sky walker
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote  

1. It's along the same lines as what Traviss did with the Mandalorians.

2. The bad guys do kick a lot of butt, but on the other hand, I did want a couple of the good guys to live, so there's a balance between the two.

3. With this being canon, it sets some interesting ground work for Vader, but there's nothing as groundbreaking and eye opening as some of the stuff Luceno did with Darth Plagueis (ie. reshaping the way fans look at The Phantom Menace).

4. No. I don't see how this one would connect with The Force Awakens at all.

@1337Jedi: glad you liked the book. Always good to hear I'm not the only one still loving Star Wars novels Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Thank you both for the answers to my questions. I had several credits on my Audible.Com account so I went ahead and got it. I'll listen to it once I finish Michael Savage's Countdown to Mecca.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Also a fan of this book. The new canon novels have been fairly strong, and certainly better than the EU books I've been reading lately (Callista trilogy and Crystal Star).

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You just compared the new books to the 4 worst books in the EU.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Baby steps...

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skywalker2B wrote:
Thank you both for the answers to my questions. I had several credits on my Audible.Com account so I went ahead and got it. I'll listen to it once I finish Michael Savage's Countdown to Mecca.

Cool. The guy who got fired from his show for calling someone a "sodomite" and saying that he should "Get AIDS and die". I don't think he'd like this book very much.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skywalker2B wrote:
You just compared the new books to the 4 worst books in the EU.

Yes, as an example of how the EU was not the perfect entity it has become known as since its ending. The new canon on average is already a lot better than the Bantam era of the EU.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Am three quarters the way through it and Im loving it so far. the interplay between Sidious and Vader is very good.

Plus we get to see both in action

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

GM, Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you there. The Thrawn trilogy, Spectre and Visions, and X-Wing series were Bantam and are often considered to be some of the best SW EU in existence. Crystal Star was bad, but not enough to bring the average for all Bantam down that much. So far, the best that I can say about the new EU books are that each one is "ok".

DPW, Yeah, I doubt Michael Savage likes SW. That's fine with me because I don't listen to him to hear what he thinks of SW. I listen to him to find out what is really going on in the real world around us. And, supposedly, much like a couple other author's I've read, Savage has real facts/info/situations blanketed in a fictional story. It probably won't surprise you to know that I also listen to Rush Limbaugh, Mark Levine, Chris Plant, and Glenn Beck for news and commentary. I like reading Joel Rosenberg's books because he mixes Bible prophecy with past, present, and future world events. I also read several conservative news websites and Christian websites and blogs. I try to be as informed as possible. SW is just my escape from reality. When I see real world...umm...I'll just call it "agendas"...creeping into SW I get turned off. And, yeah, I'm seeing that agenda stuff making its way into SW sadly. While it may have been there before, I don't think it was as noticeable. Or maybe I'm just more aware of it now. *shrug* I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skywalker2B wrote:
GM, Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you there. The Thrawn trilogy, Spectre and Visions, and X-Wing series were Bantam and are often considered to be some of the best SW EU in existence. Crystal Star was bad, but not enough to bring the average for all Bantam down that much. So far, the best that I can say about the new EU books are that each one is "ok".

Crystal Star, the Callista trilogy - bad.
Jedi Academy trilogy, Black Fleet Crisis trilogy, Corellian trilogy, Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy - not great.
The stories in the various Tales From... books vary.

Sure, the Thrawn trilogy and the X-Wing series were great, and I enjoyed the Hand of Thrawn duology (though I've never heard anyone call it some of the best of the EU). But there is a lot of below average books in the Bantam era (and in the Del Rey era as well). If so far, the best you can say about the new canon books (canon, not EU) is that they are "ok", that's still better than a lot of EU books.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skywalker2B wrote:
When I see real world...umm...I'll just call it "agendas"...creeping into SW I get turned off. And, yeah, I'm seeing that agenda stuff making its way into SW sadly. While it may have been there before, I don't think it was as noticeable. Or maybe I'm just more aware of it now. *shrug* I don't know.

I'm not trying to dismiss the rest of what you said, I read it, but I just qouted this part because I actually think this is a really interesting point you've brought up, and I'd like to put it to the community and the mods to weigh in on.

I think that politics, or really any real world events influencing SW for good or bad, would make a good discussion. And for me at least, I feel like that IS relevant to a book review because it's part of how we experienced that book...

BUT politics, religion, and other serious issues that people might hotly debate are supposed to be reserved for the Meditation Grove section of the board and left out of the general discussion threads. I respect that you stand up for your politics, even though, as I'm sure you can tell, I don't agree with them. I also don't pull punches...but that is the problem, I don't think they want us to be doing that here.

So that is my question, should we keep that out even if it is relevant to the content of a Star Wars media?

PS. If mods want me to make this a new thread, or want to move it to one, that would be fine with me.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My copy of this book just shipped! I'm hoping to get to read it soon!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 3