Expanded Universe Novels
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Expanded Universe Novels
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I just recently got into the Expanded Universe novels, I know I'm a noob or whatever, anyway I was wondering with the recent news about it not being canon anymore should I even bother going further with my readings? I just finished Heir to the Empire because I heard so many great things about it. So before I continue I'd appreciate some input from some of you Star Wars vets.
Thanks !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I think you should still check out the good stories. You may not need to read every single book out there, but there are some great stories that are worth checking out.
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I say read whatever interests you - don't worry about canon, just have fun.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

If you want your books to be 'in-canon', then there's not much point continuing. But, if you do want to read some great, enjoyable novels anyway then by all means continue. I'd personally recommend the Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron books (by Mike A. Stackpole and Aaron Allston). Since you've just finished the Thrawn trilogy, you may also be interested in the follow up books, Spectre of the Past, and Vision of the Future, both by Tim Zahn.

Also: welcome!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
I say read whatever interests you - don't worry about canon, just have fun.

This. The books remain good, despite the fact that future material won't take them into account.

And they are largely consistent with each other, so that's fun.

Some books aren't great, but some are amazing, so explore the rich world of Star Wars!

Also, if you like comics, check out "Knights of the Old Republic" and "Legacy". Those are, in my honest opinion, the best, with KOTOR being available in three omnibuses and Legacy in three (?) hardcover collections. There's also Dark Empire (another hardcover collection) and Tales of the Jedi (two omnibuses) which are also amazing. There are PLENTY to choose from; go to your bookstore and check out the Star Wars graphic novel section, paying particular attention to thick hardcovers and omnibuses.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

As others have said, it really depends on what you're looking for out of your SW reading. If you're just looking for a good fun story and the idea that the story you are reading is really an official part of the story means nothing to you, then, sure, go ahead and read the existing books and comics. While you're at it, there is a ton of good fanfic out there too.

However, if you want to know that what you are reading "really happened" as part of the official SW story, then start your reading with the upcoming Dark Horse comic - Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir and then the book "A New Dawn" in September.

For a new SW reader, I kinda think that it will be a little confusing to read both the NewU and "Legends" material at the same time (especially since the "Legends" material won't yet have that moniker/label for a while yet). I, personally, think it would be best for new readers to just start with the new material and go on from there. As they progress in the new material they may want to explore the "Legends" material to see from where a certain character/vehicle/planet/etc. orginated. But that will, by then, only be reference material...which is what I believe is Disney/LFL's intent.

For me, a long time SW EU reader, I will finish collecting the Dark Horse comics I've been reading only to see how their story ends. And I'll probably at least start reading the new material as it comes out...but only after reading a lot of spoilers to see how much, if any, of the "Legends" material they bring into the "official canon". Also, it'll depend on what GL's vision/story turns out to be in the ST films if I'll read new books set after RotJ or not. If it turns out to be like Kyle Newman's idea (listen to Rebel Force Radio's special casting announcement reactions podcast), then, sorry, I'm not interested because that will destroy the character of Luke for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Either read nothing cause it ain't canon, or track down some favourite lists so you can separate the quality from the suckage.

Skywalker2B wrote:
As others have said, it really depends on what you're looking for out of your SW reading. If you're just looking for a good fun story and the idea that the story you are reading is really an official part of the story means nothing to you, then, sure, go ahead and read the existing books and comics. While you're at it, there is a ton of good fanfic out there too.

Shocked Laughing Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Well, Darth, isn't that essentially what the Legends material is now? Fanfic. I know that I've read "movie purists" over the years refer to the EU as fanfic...and now it turns out that they were right. Sad Not that I'm happy about that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'll be the first to agree, absolutely. I just loved your subtle middle finger to anyone who has ever said that quality is the true purpose of the stories, or that Disney ain't coming to take away anyone's EU material.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
I'll be the first to agree, absolutely. I just loved your subtle middle finger to anyone who has ever said that quality is the true purpose of the stories, or that Disney ain't coming to take away anyone's EU material.

????

I know this isn't the time and place, but to the best of my knowledge, Disney has no plans to come into my house and steal my books.

The EU world is still as internally consistent as it ever was.

I suspect I'm one of the "quality" people you were referring to, and I will highlight that quality was never the true purpose, but you can't deny it's an influencing factor. I will buy Star Wars books that are good, and not Star Wars books that are bad. You're right though that I don't "buy good books that happen to be Star Wars." Star Wars is the first thing you see, but quality is in the top 3. The Crystal Star was bad, and if I could warn my past self to not read it, I would. Bad Star Wars stories are still bad stories that should not be published or read. Great Star Wars stories are still great stories that should be read.

Back on topic, internal consistency within the Legends line will still be maintained (as it is essentially frozen where it is now). Heck, you can probably make the case that TCW isn't Legends and therefore restore the 22-19 BBY era to its 2008 days.

Our new friend will be able to buy books, and enjoy them. They will be consistent within each other, but not with anything after September 2014.

We should wish our new friend the best in his explorations of these wonderful stories. And we should guide him towards the best stories and away from the bad ones.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I know this isn't the time and place, but to the best of my knowledge, Disney has no plans to come into my house and steal my books.

They sure won't. Whenever I have read that posted, though, the implication is that crying over canonicity is ridicilous, cause the books are still there. With the further implication being that their primary value is the same as other books, namely quality. So I found satisfaction in 2B likening them to fan fiction. Simple as that.

Quote:
I suspect I'm one of the "quality" people you were referring to, and I will highlight that quality was never the true purpose, but you can't deny it's an influencing factor. I will buy Star Wars books that are good, and not Star Wars books that are bad. You're right though that I don't "buy good books that happen to be Star Wars."

By admitting this, I'm not sure you do fit into that category, actually. Only barely, if so.

Does it help if I say I read a lot of TFN, so my generalities about fandom is more likely to come from there with their massive posting advantage, than anything said over here?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Taral, yes, let's see what Manu says regarding where his/her interest lies. If he/she wants EU material, sure, we can recommend the good and help him/her avoid the bad. NP.

Darth, I excel at subtlety. Wink Glad you caught that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Thanks everyone. I'm going to continue with the Thrawn Trilogy and then probably go with the Jedi Academy trilogy after that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'd suggest the X-wing books before the Jedi Academy trilogy and follow the Jedi Academy books with I Jedi. I don't think I Jedi will work as well without reading Stackpole's X-wing books and I Jedi takes place during the Jedi Academy books and fills some plot holes in it as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Taral-DLOS wrote:
We should wish our new friend the best in his explorations of these wonderful stories.

It will be a wonderful adventure, for sure!

Taral-DLOS wrote:
And we should guide him towards the best stories and away from the bad ones.

Of course...as with most things...best/worst is very relative. Cool

Although...I am in agreement of Crystal Star -- it was very bad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2