Han Solo Anthology Film

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Han Solo Anthology Film
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The long rumoured film focusing on a young Han Solo has been confirmed. The film will be written by Lawrence and Jon Kasden, and directed by Christooher Miller and Phil Lord (The Lego Movie, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, 21 Jump Street). The release date is May 25, 2018.

Source: http://www.starwars.com/news/christopher-miller-and-phil-lord-to-helm-han-solo-anthology-film?linkId=15374280

Ehh... I can't say I'm very excited about this. The Big 3 should never be re-cast in a live action film in my opinion. If someone other than Harrison Ford is playing Han Solo he won't be Han Solo to me... he'll just be someone playing Han Solo.

I do find it interesting, though, that based on the subject matter and choice of director, it looks like this will be very different from Rogue One, so there should be a lot of variety in the Anthology series.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I agree, Reep, it'll take a spectacular turn of casting to make me accept anyone as Ford has Han. That's not to say it can't be done, though. I'm interested to see how it develops.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So this is how classics die, with Disney's applause.

And so we watch the world burn.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Don't need, cantina bad a$$ Han is all I needed to see.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Recasting is not a problem, as long as they hire Anthony Ingruber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bba_wPdLxp4

He's even already played young Harrison Ford in The Age of Adaline.

We've already accepted River Phoenix as young Harrison Ford in The Last Crusade, and Ewan McGregor as young Alec Guiness in the prequels, I see no reason why we can't accept someone playing a younger Han Solo. Star Trek has already done it quite successfully, why not Star Wars?

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Suddenly the internet loves Anthony Ingruber. Razz

His impression is impressive, but it's pretty obvious that it's an impression imo. He doesn't seem natural when he does it. Maybe if he gets some acting lessons. There's also the question of whether he can take new dialogue and make it look and sound like Han.

GrandMaster wrote:
We've already accepted River Phoenix as young Harrison Ford in The Last Crusade, and Ewan McGregor as young Alec Guiness in the prequels, I see no reason why we can't accept someone playing a younger Han Solo.

Hmm. I had forgotten about Obi-Wan. Alec Guiness is loved by fans, but then so is Ewan McGregor. Han still seems different though. Maybe because Han was one of the main characters of the OT and Obi-Wan was only a supporting character? Or maybe because Obi-Wan was an old man in the OT and in his prime in the PT whereas there will be less of an age gap between Harrison Ford and the new actor (unless they make this a movie about Han as a child which I doubt)? Or maybe it's just because I grew up in the Prequel era. I'm not sure why it is.

Of all the rumoured standalones, though, this is the one I least wanted to see. An Obi-Wan or Boba Fett movie? Heck, yes! Even the Yoda rumour sounded a bit more enticing than this one.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, he's been the popular choice for young Han for a while now.
He's more improvisational here (start at 7:3Cool.

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=8Ff3dL1YdS8

But I agree, making new dialogue sound like Han will be the trick. Though he can't possibly be worse than Shia LaBeouf.

Obi-Wan is probably at the top of my list for a standalone, the Rouge One, then Han. I'd rather see Yoda's story tackled by the novels, because they can usually go more in depth than a film. And I'm not that interested in Boba Fett in general. I'd much rather see a Cad Bane movie than a Boba Fett one.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I had not heard of Anthony Ingruber before I saw Age of Adaline. And I will admit, he played a wonderful young Harrison Ford. I remember smiling in delight just watching his performance. I even went to the IMDb boards for the movie just to comment on it.

Age of Adaline was not necessarily the greatest movie ever, but Harrison's performance was fantastic. It is probably the best thing he has done since...a long time. And Ingruber's flashback work just made it better. He definitely does a better job when he's not copying the dialogue exactly. He just has the mannerisms and facial expressions down pretty well. He really does look very similar to young Harrison Ford.

I am not really excited about a young Han movie, but if they're insisting, Ingruber would be possibly the only choice I might not be scared to watch.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

GrandMaster wrote:

We've already accepted River Phoenix as young Harrison Ford in The Last Crusade, and Ewan McGregor as young Alec Guiness in the prequels, I see no reason why we can't accept someone playing a younger Han Solo. Star Trek has already done it quite successfully, why not Star Wars?

I think, the case with McGregor is different from this case, because Alec Guinness never played a young Obi-Wan, so this is not a "remake", but the Anthology filme would be a "remake".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
And I'm not that interested in Boba Fett in general. I'd much rather see a Cad Bane movie than a Boba Fett one.

Oh, Boba Fett needs a movie imo. The EU made him cool, but the current canon doesn't justify the fandom's love for him right now. He was pretty cool in ESB, pathetic in RotJ, and... decent in AotC and TCW. He needs to be amazing in something. A Cad Bane movie would be cool also though. Best case scenario? A movie that ends with Fett killing Cad Bane and assuming the title of the best bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Han Solo is already awesome, so there's nowhere to go but down and that concerns me.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 1