EUC Book Club: Splinter of the Mind's Eye
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Book Club Discussion View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Anyone still up for this?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote  

I'm slogging through. Story is getting tougher the farther I go. Really don't like Foster's take on Leia, and Luke's isn't a whole lot better. It just feels so foreign to the characters. Very much a pulpy take on the characters deviating from the movies.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, I hear you. For some reason I really liked the opening of the book, with Luke and Leia crash landing on Mimban - "Splinter" being the first SWEU book I've read in a long time probably had a lot to do with that - but the characterizations are pretty awful and seem to just keep getting worse.

We could always just drop "Splinter" and move on to the Thrawn Trilogy if anyone's still interested.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote  

I've made it to chapter 11 so I'm going to finish it. And I agree, it started out really good, I thought this was going to be a fun read in that first chapter. But the more we see Luke and Leia, the more it goes off the rails from normal. Feels very dated.

But, it is Star Wars, so it's a weird journey worth making at least once. What does everyone think of the worm thing?

And I like the Yuzzem, but I was visualizing the Yuzzum Laughing

I got them confused.

Some other thoughts...

*I didn't like Leia's overwhelming dread of an Imperial Governor. It weakened her character way too much.
*Halla's speech mannerisms are awkward. I get her calling Luke boy and Leia girl, but it could have been done better. Sometimes it feels really forced and poorly done.
*I like the physician character. She's interesting. Not sure if the book will do any more with her, but she would have been a character worth exploring more, as she's working for the Imperials but cares about helping everyone.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote  

Getting near the end now. I had to laugh when Vader literally shakes his fist at Luke for being thwarted in his cave attack. So hammy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Book Club Discussion

Page 3 of 3