EUC Book Club: Splinter of the Mind's Eye
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Book Club Discussion View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

@Darth Skuldren: The MacGuffin is the Kaliburr Crystal, of course.
Thinking back on it that slap is very ridiculous. Laughing

I don't mind Leia here, she's comes off as a professional and Luke hasn't done anything overly brilliant either other than being a good pilot. That is to say, there wasn't any moment here were Luke did something amazing and I thought Leia should be able to do that better or viceversa.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

papinacho wrote:
I do think she's being slightly too cynical, considering the compassion she showed for Luke in ANH but she is done well overall.

That's the the thing. Leia is so nice to Luke in the movies that it's weird seeing her somewhat antagonistic towards him. Though I suppose if Han isn't around, she needs to direct her snarkiness at someone.

Taral_DLOS wrote:
Also, I was happy to remember that my copy of Splinter of the Mind's Eye is a first edition I picked up on the cheap from Value Village. It isn't in great shape (and indeed some of the ink is worn), but it's cool to read something that's old and original.

I have a first edition as well, but mine's still in good shape. I got it at a garage sale a long time ago when I first got into Star Wars. It was one of the first Star Wars books I bought (the first being the Thrawn Trilogy).

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Of these first three chapters, the moment that got me was when Luke slapped Leia. I laughed out loud as it was such a bizzaro thing to do. It wasn't so much funny that Luke slapped Leia, but that Alan Dean Foster was crazy enough to write that. I'm pretty sure that if Leia were written in character, she would have kicked Luke between the legs for that one.

That was a really strange moment. Luke - at least this version of Luke - lost my sympathy after that. *fingers rapier* And, yes, the Leia I know would have indeed kicked him between the legs. Razz

Taral_DLOS wrote:
There was reference to fighting on Mimban during the Clone Wars (in the episode "Rookies"). The Republic radio station dedicated their next song to the troops fighting on Mimban.

I remember that! Alas, how I dreamed of canon reconciliation in those days.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've started the book but I forgot how to read in college so it's taking me a little while. I have read it before (which is another reason why it's harder for me to read it. But I don't remember it that well so that shouldn't be a problem).

I love the early Star Wars books. They always say 'droid as if it's a shortened version of android or something before Lucas officially coined the term. (When the Droid phones first came out the word "droid" was credited to LFL in fine print at the bottom.)

And to Luke's characterization I think he might be one of the most varying characterizations novel to novel until anything written after Vector Prime. Some books he's a doofus, some books he's cool and calm, some he's a bit of a player. But I think once canon declared Luke and Mara a couple the great "Write Luke's Wife Before Someone Else Does War" stopped. Leia had similar issues too but she kinda smoothed out sooner.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:45 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

needless to say that i won't be reading any of things posted currently regarding the juice of the book.

however a few lines that I peeked aroused my curiosity even more to be able to read a book not tainted by mass marketing, from an author which I assume that worked closely with all might George Lucas and that has not been made prey of highly commercial interests.

maybe I just blabbed to much, but that is what I am expecting lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Those are great points, actually! This was before the money grubbing days. To an extent. Most interesting observation.

I have the book! I'll try to start tonight.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This book was written with the mind of being a possible "cheap" sequel of ANH flopped, right? I thought I heard that in a making of somewhere or something.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
This book was written with the mind of being a possible "cheap" sequel of ANH flopped, right? I thought I heard that in a making of somewhere or something.

I understand that as well. It was also in case they couldn't get Harrison Ford, as he was only signed on for one movie (so he isn't in Splinter).

So far, my assessment is that this wouldn't have been a good sequel. Maybe a good straight-to-DVD animated movie, but not a full sequel. Then again, I might be wearing Empire Strikes Back-tinted glasses.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote  

Star Wars Insider ran a couple transcripts earlier this year between Alan Dean Foster and George Lucas talking about Splinter of the Mind's Eye. It was pretty neat. They had some strange ideas for the story.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

We'll give the others a week to catch up.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've got a copy now, should be able to start reading tomorrow.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Sweet!

We'll start Week 3 this Saturday, unless anyone objects.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Oh well i have to sit this one out. My copy did not arrive on time. One week or more and no mail, that is tough. Anyway, since going on holidays, only in a couple weeks will i get a hold of it

Meanwhile enjoy the club. Will be around for the next

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

After an extended Week 2, Week 3 is here! See you next Saturday (i.e. August 9th) to discuss chapters 4-6.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I still have a bit of reading to do, so this is just a reminder that Week 4 is here.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

And I'm done.

Halla is intriguing me. I immediately suspected she was a Jedi after she showed a knowledge of the Force. Nowadays, she could be part of any number of Force sects, but back in 1978 the only known Force users were the Jedi of old and Darth Vader. I wonder if Halla wanted Luke and Leia to go to the Imperial prison for some reason, because if she is a "master of the Force", she should have been able to stop their arrest and save a lot of trouble springing them later. No idea why that would be, but it's a thought.

I'm also wondering who or what "Bot" is.

The two Yuzzem, Hin and Kee are also welcome additions. What is Star Wars without giant belligerent aliens. Cool

I had to look up what Yuzzem look like. They look pretty cool:

I don't have much to say about Grammel. He seems like a standard petty Imperial officer. The fact that he didn't recognize Leia makes me wonder how well known Leia is at this point, especially because Essada did recognize her.

Does anyone know if Circarpous IV is aligned with the Empire btw? The Wook doesn't really make it clear. The reason I'm wondering is that, if Circarpous IV is Imperial, it would have been a pretty dumb decision by Luke to tell Grammel that they are thieves on Circarpous IV because it would only get them in deeper trouble with the law. Wouldn't it be safer to just say they found the crystal working in the mines? Of course, this would be irrelevant if Circarpous IV wasn't Imperial because it would be outside Imperial jurisdiction.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Book Club Discussion

Page 2 of 3