Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote  

via StarWars.com

Quote:
“The circle is now complete.”

StarWars.com is excited to reveal Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years: a massive new omnibus set for release in January 2015 and featuring the entire run of Marvel’s classic series — the first Star Wars comics ever published. Read the official release below and get a sneak peek at the cover art of this historic collection!

In 1977 a phenomenon dawned. Marvel Comics published the very first Star Wars comic-book series. Now, the House of Ideas is re-presenting those original adventures in its over-sized Omnibus format — Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years collecting Star Wars (1977) #1-44 and Annual #1.

It’s the return of the Jedi to Marvel in an opening volume that begins with Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope and ends with Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back. In between, the Rebels face a wealth of new perils — from space pirate Crimson Jack to the bounty hunter Beilert Valance, as well as a surprisingly svelte Jabba the Hut (one “t”). Luke goes back to Tatooine, Leia battles alone, Han and Chewie play the deadly Big Game, and Darth Vader hunts for answers! Revisit all your old favorites and discover some new ones!

There’s no doubt, the Force is strong with this collection!

“With Star Wars poised to return to its comic book home, what better time to revisit the first adventures of Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2, and, of course, Darth Vader?” says Marvel editor in chief, Axel Alonso. “I am extremely proud to present these original Star Wars stories, told as only Marvel can, in the first in a massive and glorious Omnibus series.”

Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years comes out of lightspeed in January 2015 and is written by Roy Thomas, Howard Chaykin, Archie Goodwin, Jo Duffy, and Chris Claremont, with pencils by Howard Chaykin, Carmine Infantino, Walter Simonson, Herb Trimpe, Michael Golden, Al Williamson, and Mike Vosburg. Each copy of Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years will also be wrapped in a glorious covers by Howard Chaykin and Greg Hilderbrandt.

STAR WARS OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC CHAYKIN COVER
WRITTEN BY ROY THOMAS, HOWARD CHAYKIN, ARCHIE GOODWIN, JO DUFFY & CHRIS CLAREMONT
PENCILED BY HOWARD CHAYKIN, CARMINE INFANTINO, WALTER SIMONSON, HERB TRIMPE,
MICHAEL GOLDEN, AL WILLIAMSON & MIKE VOSBURG
COVERS BY HOWARD CHAYKIN & GREG HILDEBRANDT

880 PGS./Rated T …$125.00
ISBN: 978-0-7851-9106-3
STAR WARS OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC HILDEBRANDT COVER (DM ONLY)
880 PGS./Rated T …$125
ISBN: 978-0-7851-9318-0

Link: Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was about to post this, too. I just saw it on Marvel's solicitations for October 2014.

I own all the stuff therein, but I'm glad to see Marvel Star Wars get the Marvel Omnibus treatment.

This also is good news for the reprinting/re-collection of DHC Star Wars titles by Marvel in the future (DHC did own the rights to print those Marvel comics for years; those may have automatically reverted, but that would be strange).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Looking forward to this! The art work was so amazing!

Follow me on Tumblr http://daniellong94.tumblr.com/

Follow me on Twitter @DanielLong94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

That is amazing! I will be purchasing that. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Seeing as I already/still own the entire Marvel SW run from the 70's and 80's, I will keep my money.

One thing I did notice was the "Legends" banner at the bottom. Really, Marvel? You're going to start with reprinting Legends material? I really hope that is in addtion to new comics that will be part of the new canon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote  

I have a question for anyone who is familiar with Marvel's omnibuses, are they normally this expensive? ($125)

This omnibus is only for issues 1-44. Dark Horse collected issues 1-49 in A Long Time Ago Vol. 1 & 2, and while they're not hardcovers, they're only $20 each.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

As I already have both Dark Horse versions, thanks but no.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Having read none of these stories, are they good?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't like that cover. Why did they redraw it? It makes much more sense to show the original art on the cover..you know, the stuff that is inside the book you want people to buy!

It's funny how Marvel is once again stomping all over continuity by putting out these comics just in time for their own comics that will render them finally and completely non canon.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:27 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I have a question for anyone who is familiar with Marvel's omnibuses, are they normally this expensive? ($125)

This omnibus is only for issues 1-44. Dark Horse collected issues 1-49 in A Long Time Ago Vol. 1 & 2, and while they're not hardcovers, they're only $20 each.

Well Dark Horse takes special measures to ensure their Omnibuses are cheaper, chief among them is the fact that they actually print their issues in smaller sizes. The pages in normal trades and or issues are quite a bit larger.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:

Yes, Marvel omnibuses are very expensive. They typically contain more issues than the DHC omnibuses did (Marvel has 35-45, whereas DHC had 15-20). They're also on higher-quality paper, are bound in hardcovers, and are oversized.

$125 USD is consistent with other Marvel omnibuses. The omnibus for Infinity Gauntlet (which contains 38 issues) also costs $125.

Marvel had a lower-priced option, called the Essential line, which were paperbacks with low-quality newsprint-style paper, and cost $17-20 each. But that line isn't being made that much anymore. Still, it was a great way to collect old 60s material.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote  

Here's the solicitation for it.

Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus HC (Chaykin Cover)
Written by: Roy Thomas, Howard Chaykin, Archie Goodwin, Jo Duffy & Chris Claremont
Penciled by: Howard Chaykin, Carmine Infantino, Walter Simonson, Herb Trimpe, Michael Golden, Al Williamson & Mike Vosburg
Covers by: Howard Chaykin & Greg Hildebrandt

As the phenomenon dawned in 1977, Marvel Comics published the very first Star Wars comic-book series. Now, the House of Ideas is re-presenting those original adventures in its wampa-sized Omnibus format! It’s the return of the Jedi to Marvel in an opening volume that begins with A New Hope and ends with The Empire Strikes Back. In between, the rebels face a wealth of new perils — from space pirate Crimson Jack to the bounty hunter Beilert Valance, as well as a surprisingly svelte Jabba the Hut (one “t”). Luke goes back to Tatooine, Leia battles alone, Han and Chewie play the deadly Big Game, and Darth Vader hunts for answers! With all your old favorites and plenty of new faces — hello, Jaxxon! — there’s no doubt, the Force is strong with this one! Collecting Star Wars (1977) #1-44 and Annual #1.

Release Date: January 7, 2015
880 PGS./Rated T …$125.00
ISBN: 978-0-7851-9106-3
Trim size: oversized
Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus HC Hildebrandt Cover (DM Only)
880 PGS./Rated T …$125
ISBN: 978-0-7851-9318-0
Trim size: oversized

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Essentially I could buy the entire run of the marvel comics in either - 5 omnibusses from DHC or the 7 trades from the 90s from DHC on Amazon....for LESS than this one volume.

People are actually willing to pay that for this? ok...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

papinacho wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

Well Dark Horse takes special measures to ensure their Omnibuses are cheaper, chief among them is the fact that they actually print their issues in smaller sizes. The pages in normal trades and or issues are quite a bit larger.

Yeah the size kills me and I actually hate the glossy paper. It seems all wrong for a comic. But I like the fact that they include one shots and short stories in them, so I traded all my regular Aliens trades for the Omnis. Also the Boba Fett omni is great.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:
Essentially I could buy the entire run of the marvel comics in either - 5 omnibusses from DHC or the 7 trades from the 90s from DHC on Amazon....for LESS than this one volume.

People are actually willing to pay that for this? ok...

The Marvel Comics fan community really loves oversized bound hardcovers. It isn't even about the number of issues therein, it's the quality of the volume itself. People buy collections of new ongoing series in hardcover for more money than the individual issues were (had they bought those as they came out), but people value the hardcover and the quality.

I'm with you; by and large I just want to read stories. So I buy collections that contain many books (regardless of format, so long as they're cheaper), I buy issues as they come out (at a discount), and a LOT of digital comics. Hardcovers are nice, but I only own one Marvel omnibus and I bought it at a Value Village for like $20.00.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2