Unread posts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Feedback & Suggestions View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unread posts
 PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I keep having the problem where I log on and view one thread with unread posts, then go back to the main menu and it has marked all posts as read. So now there's 50 new posts from this weekend that I haven't seen and no way of knowing what thread they're in outside of memorizing who posted last in what thread. Is there a setting that I am unaware of?

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yoda, I have this same problem using Chrome and FireFox. I have, as much as I hate to admit, had to resort to IE for using the Cantina. I hate IE, but it works with the site with no flaws. Can you try that and let me know what happens?

No one else has reported the same issue before, but once it's apparent that it's happening to multiple people, maybe we can track down the cause!

Edit: If you're already using IE, well...

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm using Safari currently. I think I'd lose my Apple card if I downloaded IE. :p

I don't have this issue super often, but I'd say at least once a week. Certainly enough for it to be annoying.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Hee-hee. That's okay. Apple cards are overrated. Wink

I'm looking into what might be the problem on the backend. Keep you posted! No pun intended...

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My Apple card in only beaten by my Star Wars card for fandom pride :p

And cool beans. Thanks Smile

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well then you have your priorities straight! Very Happy

I've made a change, and so far so good! It actually seems to have solved my getting logged out in Chrome and FireFox. Should have tried that awhile ago...

No telling if it will help your problem, but I'm hoping they're related. Let me know what happens!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was also having a log out problem. I should complain more often. Razz

I'll let you know if anything changes. Thanks!

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Now I can't get posts to be unread. :p Though this is less of a problem than what I was dealing with before.

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

When I run my browser (Firefox) EUC Forums main index page is one of the tabs that opens. I'm always logged out at the begining of the session. Then I just scroll down from the main page and open every thread with a new date in a new tab. I log in only when I'm to reply/quote. The forums log me out automaticly after some time.

So using this system, I don't know if I'm having this trouble you guys are having or not. Call me old fasioned, but it works. Smile

I do have another problem now. Today I couldn't log in....

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Yoda, I have this same problem using Chrome and FireFox. I have, as much as I hate to admit, had to resort to IE for using the Cantina. I hate IE, but it works with the site with no flaws. Can you try that and let me know what happens?

.....until I've read this. Man I forgot how slow IE can be. Very Happy

I've made a change, and so far so good! It actually seems to have solved my getting logged out in Chrome and FireFox. Should have tried that awhile ago...

No telling if it will help your problem, but I'm hoping they're related. Let me know what happens!

Could it be that my problem with logging in, using firefox, and those changes you've made are related?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I was having that exact problem, Hogy. But after the change I made in the forum settings, I can now log in via Chrome and FireFox. Yay!

Hopefully this should solve the problem for everyone else experiencing it, as well. But you may need to clear your cookies first. I will write up some instructions for how to do this in each browser.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

But you may need to clear your cookies first.

Yeap! That did it!

Thanks Mara.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote  

so I was wondering why I didn't have to log in twice when I visited the site on Firefox today (I first experienced the log out bug back in 2012 Shocked ). Now I know why. Thank you Mara for fixing this!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I've been on the laptop for weeks, I have not been able to log in on the iPhone at all....... after 3 resets I tried this! Glad it was not just me

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, I haven't had the unread posts problem since but I haven't been able to log in from Safari at all. Only Chrome.

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yoda, have you tried removing the cookies from Safari? Try following these instructions and let me know:

Removing cookies from Safari 6 (OS X Mountain Lion)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Feedback & Suggestions

Page 1 of 3