Legacy Of The Force: Invincible Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legacy Of The Force: Invincible Discussion
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Here you cant talk about any aspects of Troy Denning's upcoming book, Invincible.

Possible Summary:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

ADMIN EDIT: Just fixed up the title to match the others and added more stuff about the book

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Nice summary! I can't wait! Very Happy

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
-The Code of the Sith

In mourning . . . Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

My one problem with the summary is it seems short for a hardcover since those are in the inside of the book's flaps. However, it still might be part of it.

With this book, I love the title and if the books had gone has I thought it would at the beginning, then I'd be pumped. I'm not sure what to expect with this book except for Jacen to fight his sister, and ....well, I guess that's all I can think of now. I do wonder what Ben and Luke will do in this story; I do see Luke taking a back seat and letting the younger generations deal with this conflict.

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote  

Well Luke is very much a part of the war effort now. I would venture a guess that Fett is going to get his rear in a sling with the Alliance forces, and Luke and the Jedi are going to fly in and save the Mandos.

Plus I've been giving the whole Jaina vs Caedus thing a lot of thought, and I don't think Jaina's tricks are going to work. Up until now, we still haven't seen Caedus unleash his fury as a Sith Lord. He's done some battle meditation but in combat he's been getting his butt kicked, even if he does manage to walk/limp away. I think Jaina's tricks are just going to make him mad and he'll unleash his power and nearly kill her. Then he'll go in for the kill but hesitate. Instead he'll offer the honor to his apprentice, Tahiri, and she'll do it, but at the last second back stab her master, and kill Caedus.

That's the idea I've been toying with, at least. I'm also betting Niathal gets killed early, probably somewhere in the first quarter of the book.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm hoping that they have a twisted ending, not the dumb cliche where Jaina kills Caedus, and the war ends, and the sun shines, and the Jedi are happy again, and all that boring stuff. Vary it up a little.

The Force shall free me.
-The Code of the Sith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote  

I can't help but ponder the title though. Invincible. Either somebody proves impossible to defeat or it's meant to be just the opposite, and everyone proves to be quite mortal. I really hope they explore the title and really define it within the context of the novel. Since this is the conclusion it needs a lot of closure and wrap up.

With that in mind I also want to see this "sword of the Jedi" prophecy fulfilled once and for all.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

So then..... Am I the only one here who does not like this summary? That the whole "Jaina looking like Luke" thing seems hoaky? Confused

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

It's not something new. Luke has taken the appearance of others before. I believe he did something like that in the last DN book...

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

MizzeeOH wrote:
So then..... Am I the only one here who does not like this summary? That the whole "Jaina looking like Luke" thing seems hoaky? Confused

True, I agree there. That did raise my eyebrows a bit. But then again, this IS Troy Denning.

The Force shall free me.
-The Code of the Sith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ouch; poor Troy Smile If Caedus fears Luke, then is it a bad idea? Also, Jacen does this when fighting the Mandalorians in Revelation and taking the face of Fett's daughter.

Unless this book isn't anything like the others, the title will be looked at. I think someone is going to show that they can't be beat, but it won't be Jacen. And he hasn't always limped away; one time, he was just left there. Again with the title, I don't think it will be one person, but two; who those two are, or if there's more than two, I'm not sure (Luke and Ben, Jaina and Ben, Jaina and Luke, all three, some other pairing.) Plus, if the war comes down to one battle, then it can have the ""non-varied" ending. The Yuuzhan Vong fell because they didn't know how to respond to no supreme leader. The worst ending for me would to kill off more and more heroes. Do all Star Wars heroes have to die in battle? Yoda didn't....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Ok, I don't think Luke will be invincible. I see his death or Han's before the end. And why can't Caedus be invincible? It could be him finally discovering his Force potential, and then he would have more books in which to develop as a Sith. Because I don't feel like he's fulfilled his potential.

The Force shall free me.
-The Code of the Sith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

But Caedus is far from invincible; in every book, Luke or someone has really gotten the better of him. If it was Jacen, I would say he could have been invincible (such as at the end of NJO) but he's left his reason/gut based philosophy and gone with a dark philosophy; same thing happens if you go with a light-only philosophy. He hasn't become half the Sith even Malak became, so his potential is still there, I guess, but I think being dragged into politics has really cut him off from his potential. And I no longer think Luke will be the invincible one, and if he is, he will just sit in the back and watch this thing end.

And why do we think Luke or Han is going to die? I don't see this happening at all but maybe I'm missing something. But I've been wrong about every other death, so I don't think I'll even try playing the "who's next" game. Story wise, I don't see either of these characters' deaths necessary but if fans want them killed off, fine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Ok, true, Caudus hasn't been invincible this series, so it would make sense for him to achieve it (or something close to it) in this book. And also, I don't think he's reached his potential, so I'm hoping he lives through the series to reach that potential.

And as for Luke and Han . . . Luke dying seems so appropriate, with the whole legacy theme, and Han . . . I've had this theory for a while now. I think that would be such a heart-wrenching death for so many people. Leia I somehow don't see dying.

The Force shall free me.
-The Code of the Sith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Jacen might live through the series, but he isn't going to continue being Sith. If this is a true legacy, then he'll be redeemed. The way he is redeemed can always be played with, though. Actually, now that I think about it, he hit his full potential at the end of the New Jedi Order; he had reached a level that no one, not even a Sith, could reach through normal means. Now, he's just fallen into the trap that is his potential and I hope he figures it out before he destorys everything and sees what he's become.

Also, could Invincible refer to not a person(s) but a side? Light side? Dark side? Living? Unified? ....Luke's side? Very Happy Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I agree with most 0f what you say, Darth Judicar. I'd love to see Caedus survive LOTF (and not as Jacen either).

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 9