Legacy Of The Force: Invincible Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I read the book when it came out, and I was afraid I would find in it some aspects I didn't quite love about the previous novels.

May be a slight impression I had, but I think the first eight books worked at a slow pace, whereas Invincible had it too fast. The book is about Jacen and Jaina, but it surprised me that it is too much only that. At the end, you don't even see things happen properly, it is just too fast. I dind't see that much emotion in the end from some crucial characters.

A thing I liked: Ben Skywalker turned out to be a very interesting character during the series and all the things that were said in New Jedi Order may come true with him. Most importantly, the things that are suggested during the novel The Unifying Force (James Luceno), in which Luke has visions of a grown Ben on Zonama Sekot, and also, in the end, when the planet vanishes, Ben tries to reach for it and Luke says: "He's meant to be there."
This is quite interesting, since James Luceno is writing Millennium Falcon, which can reveal some more things about that. It could even be related to the Legacy comics, in a way. Very Happy Allana and Jagged Fel definitely seem to have some link to Legacy. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:28 am Reply with quote  

I'd forgotten all about that. And it makes perfect sense that Ben would eventually return there because by the time of the Legacy comics, the Jedi have relations with the Yuuzhan Vong. It would be great to see those relations kick off in the next novel.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Smile I think something will come out.

I've thought a lot about this lately, and considering that, I suspect that one of the Solos had to be pushed away from the center of the story, so that Ben would get more attention. It may not even be that way, but it is what I feel since Han and Leia have lost both of their sons.
Are the Solos condemned to extinction? Razz Razz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm not sure I want to ask that question...Although they now have Amelia Solo so I suppose that sort of counts. Unless the author's are just planning on repeating past events. Allana dies to save a group of Jedi. Allana turns to the Dark Side and is killed by her sister.... Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote  

Well I think the Solo extinction is guaranteed in a way, if Jaina hooks up with Fel, the Solo line gets replaced by the Fel line. Though technically the Solo blood will still be flowing through their veins, just without the last name Solo.

In fact it's interesting to think that if Jaina does settle with Fel, then their kid will be half Fel, half Solo, pure hotshot pilot with mad Jedi skills unstoppable.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Solos seem headed for extinction. It's a real pity and I would like to get an answer from DR&LFL for it. Why? We are getting lots of new Skywalkers - would the continuation of the Solos really be some kind of threat to their position as the main heroes? And if the Solos are not needed, why keep Han&Leia going on? Han will be 71-72 in MF and seems destined to do things that would fit the younger Solos - if there would be more than one still around - better than a man of his age. One would also think that the Solo name would be kept around at least for commercial purposes.

The Fels won't be any kind of continuation to the Solos, anymore than they really are a continuation to the Antilles family, because based on Legacy, they are just Imperial Fels, descendants of Soontir and Jagged, sure, but there is nothing of the Solos (or of the Antilles family, for that matter) in them that we have seen so far. No identification with them and the Fels don't seem to have any kind of heritage from them either. So,it's a total extinction when it comes to the Solo family as a social unit and when it comes to their legacy: There will be none, beyond the purely biological one.

Unlike the Skywalkers. Cade is acting like he would try to avoid carrying on his shoulders a Skywalker legacy that seems to amount to a mountain range considering his attitude. So, what does make the EU go full Skywalker mode and get rid of the Solos? Why can't they have more legacy than a couple of fanatical Imperials that don't identify themselves as Solo descendants?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

First off, I've been getting complaints about the amount of bashing that author Troy Denning has been receiving in this thread. Until now, that has, sadly, gone unchecked by the moderators. That ends now. If you attacked Mr. Denning, you will know who you are as you may find yourself banned. There is absolutely no reason why an author should be flamed or attacked over a work of fiction. Even worse, Mr. Denning was slated to join us this Friday but now it's in the air due to this. When you attack an author, you not only make yourself look bad but the entire EUC community.

EUC and I, personally, cannot and will not tolerate this known act against our rules. In the future, please be weary of what you say and how you say it. Thank you. Very Happy

Please, feel free to return to your civil discussion of Invincible.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:58 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

That's true, and we really must have in mind that the authors do not just decide what's going to happen. They write the story and add their own magic to it but that doesn't mean they are going to put their personal feelings for the characters in the text.

But I'm sure Mr. Denning will see that no one here wanted to attack him personally and even if at any time it sounded like that, it was unintentional. The important thing is that Troy Denning earns our respect not only for all the work he has done, but also for being so open and close to the fans. We should really thank him for being so gerenous as to discuss his work with all of us. Smile

Returning to the Invincible thread:

I actually think Allana is special. That vision that Caedus had with the white throne has something to it. Cool I really don't know what it is supposed to mean - either if it's a good thing or a bad thing - but I'd like to see it happen. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:57 am Reply with quote  

You know the Allana/White Throne vision has a lot of possibility for future series. If the vision was genuine and is embraced in the future novels, then that would mean that Alana is going to come to some degree of power. Most likely either as leader of the Galactic Republic, though with Daala at the helm and her new agenda this seems unlikely, or perhaps just as the Queen ruler of Hapes. Yet it seemed like they are grooming Allana to get away from Hapes. And to be honest, I'm not so sure Tenel Ka would want Allana to take over the throne. The Queen Mothers don't ever seem to live happy lives.

So if being leader of the GA is out, and so is Queen Mother of Hapes, where would that leave her? Fel's Empire? Chiss Empire? Some unknown Jedi kingdom?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

The most likely to me seems to be the Fel Empire (too much to learn about this Empire, oh...), though I can't find a possibility she would reach a throne that way... Laughing Maybe there's something we've not heard about yet. The good part of it is that it was left quite open and ambiguous so that things can have the chance to continue in many different ways. But she definitely seems to be a key character. Very Happy I have a feeling that Hapes will isolate itself again, at least from the Jedi. Confused There are just too many bad ladies there that can only think about power.

Speaking of Fels... That decision Luke made, choosing Jagged to lead the Moffs... I don't know... Feels like that will somehow corrupt him, don't you think? Confused I don't think he's that type, but if he fails, how could possibly Luke reverse the situation? Seems like a lot of responsibility, not only for Jag, but even more for Luke himself. He may have made a big mistake (or not, lol Razz ).

I would be ironic to think that Luke is responsible for the Fel Empire. Laughing But let's see what will happen next, I'm just speculating too much!

Invincible has left many possibilities!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote  

Well if Jag feels like he's starting to be corrupted, that's when Jaina steps in to straighten him out. Very Happy

Maybe the "white throne" will come into play with Zenoma Sekot and the Vong. Perhaps an adventure in the Unknown Regions. Better yet, the Unknown Regions get organized into a kingdom and Allana rules over them. Perhaps a secret Empire.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The White throne could be something that isnt exactly tangible...it could be that Allana stands up fr the Jedi...I mean they wont exactly be treated nicely with Daala running things....(Allana)She might start a movement where only planets favoring the jedi and more importantly 'giving the jedi some sort of legislative authority' get the Jedi Protection
Come to think of it...thats the way it shud be....do u want Jedi Protection or nt???Simple as that.....Are the jedis allowed to carry out arrests or nt???....A simple Vote--The planets that vote in favour hav to pay the jedi tax....the ones that Vote agnst the Jedis...they dont hav to pay fr the Jedi Councils expenses....Naturally the planets with the Jedi support end up with a smaller crime-rate=p
_________________-
I thought of this voting thing because obviously the GA bears the Jedi expenses...I dont see Daala being too enthusiastic of this expense which is bound to be substantial....X-wings--StealthXs--and tons of other stuff

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote  

A Jedi Tax. I like that. Wonder if they should have a Sith Tax as well. It would have to be considerably higher just because of the amount of damage they usually cause...

-All Force sensitive beings who wish to pursue the Order of the Sith must hence forth pay a Sith tax which compensate the government ahead of time for all damages caused by said members.- GA Tax Code

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

hahahahaha....dude u took it the wrong way=p////I was serious=c

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

DS, that's too funny! Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 8 of 9