Force Ghosts---
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Force Ghosts---
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

One of Lukes old loves include a Jedi Knight who dies but keeps her spirit within the Eye of Palpatine, and then this other Jedi(female) ends her life for her and gives her body to Lukes love.
_____________-
So is this still supposed to be possible???....or is this idea scrapped now, as the writers that wrote the Bantam books are outta the picture???

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Bantam's no longer making books, but they are still in canon.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I would guess it's still possible, just not all that popular (maybe I'm wrong). Force ghosts are real nasty things since there's no consistent reason for them (thanks for poor collaboration between Lucas's prequels and the early NJO books and prior). I wasn't all that happy to see Mara's ghost appear before Luke because of reasons I can get into later.

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

You have to take into account that Barbera Hambly wrote Children of the Jedi before there was a lot of canon information out there. This was before even the Special Editions were released.

So...at that time, the EU was all we (and the authors) had to go on. There was no defined limit to the Force, so she made it up. She knew that Jedi could materialize into the Force, and wrote a plausible extention of that.

Remember, at the time, there were all sorts of Lightsaber colors floating around, including the elusibe rainbow saber.

Give early 90's books a break.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Plus remember this was pre-Prequels. No one knew that the Jedi had a ban on attachment, or that they all trained at the Temple on Coruscant. Although, I must say, Traviss explained Callista in a nice way to correspond with all the Prequel canon.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
-The Code of the Sith

In mourning . . . Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Judicar wrote:
Plus remember this was pre-Prequels. No one knew that the Jedi had a ban on attachment, or that they all trained at the Temple on Coruscant. Although, I must say, Traviss explained Callista in a nice way to correspond with all the Prequel canon.

And I have nothing but deep respect to authors who do try to make those ties, whether they read those books or remember something about it. Of course, Karen also brought Daala back so she has a good idea of basic characters from older books, minimum. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Aush the reason you didnt like Maras ghost coming before Luke, was perhaps that Mara and Luke both knew how much they loved eachother and that there was nothing left unsaid?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote  

Being able to transport your spirit into other objects is indeed cannon. Palpatine used the same trick with his clone bodies several times, and did so for his assistants too. It's not that absurd of a Force power. I mean, if Jacen can flow walk through time, why not?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

What's wrong with a Mara Force Ghost. I thought it was great!

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:42 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Hey the Flow-walking factor also confuses me,cuz Apparently U can change the future, fix it for a short peroid of time....U can visit the past and ur decisions will effect the past, and the ppl in the present time will remeber it....so why cant u change the past,,,,as in bring someone back----I know saving someone can change EVERYTHiNG---if AnakinSolo was to be saved then the entire Yuuzhan Vong war might change, because even if Anakin was told nt to touch anything or do anything---the way Leia felt after Anakins death and the way Jaina started acting after the death might nt be the same anymore---So bringing someone back--Tricky business---but it shud be atleast theoretically possible r8?...and Jacen might hav said it just because he KNEW that Tahiri would try it---so he tells her a fake logical thingy that doesnt really make sense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think the staff invented something that they couldn't control and then copped out of it. If you can leave imprints then you should be able to change things. Tahiri changed it so she kissed Anakin goodbye and then it was something that actually happened. I think that they just don't want time travel and a skewered timeline in the Star Wars universe. They probably invented flow-walking, then watched the Back to the Future trilogy and were like "uh-oh, we don't want this in our universe."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

lol--yeah true--but they could make it so that there are tons of Jedis protecting this technique---anyone trying to abuse this technique as in change the past in a way that it changes the present drastically is stopped by a team of Force-Phantoms Cool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Interesting idea, but that would have to be those Jedi's only job. Jacen used flow-walking abilities a lot and Tahiri hasn't learned it, but since she's still not completely over Anakin I think its something we can expect to see more of. It's be interesting to see how they'd to this on film.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

FatalFist wrote:
Aush the reason you didnt like Maras ghost coming before Luke, was perhaps that Mara and Luke both knew how much they loved eachother and that there was nothing left unsaid?

More or less, yes, that's what I thought. If a ghost was going to appear for anyone to resolve issues, I would think Anakin would appear before Tahiri instead of letting her to fall so far. Just some of my thoughts, but I had no problems with Mara and Ben.

As for flow walking, I always thought that even if you changed the past (like kiss Anakin) Jacen said it would flow back to how it was. I think Jacen used the analogy of throwing a rock into a river will cause brief changes but will eventually resume its course. Now, the question is, how big of a rock Very Happy And if they've changed it so that Tahiri did kiss Anakin, then I need a new copy of Star by Star (I think this is why Jacen said what he did about a river and a rock).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think the Force(and anything related to it) is like life--utterly incoherent--But at the same time crystal clear---the Force is always going to remain a mystery-but I tink that Im pretty close to cracking it--
my equation"EU=SW2"

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2