Jar Jar Binks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Harsh? Why it's nothing of the kind! I think I'm in love with that picture! I must know where you got it, Skuldren. Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I cannot stand Jar Jar Binks, perhaps my Mando'ade brothers and sisters will have ourselves a gungan barbeque. By far the lowest of the characters in our beloved universe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

People like to compare Jar Jar to the Ewoks, which I think is the most blasphemous thing a fan can do.

Jar Jar was nothing more than attempted humor, and it failed utterly. While the Ewoks could appear cute and cuddly, they were depicted seriously, and I have no problem whatsoever with their storyline!

The main thing about the Ewoks that won me over, initially, was the scene where the one Ewok dies, and its friend begins to mourn there on the battlefield. They weren't supposed to be fluffy little cannon fodder! They were meant to be serious characters.

So anyway.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I don't think Jar Jar should reflect his whole species. They did banish him after all.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Actually, I think Jar Jar played a rather important role in the Star Wars saga. They needed a character to basically be willing to hand over power to Palpatine. Yet something that important couldn't be done via a no named character without the importance of the moment being cheapened. However they also didn't want one of the heroes to have made such a foolish mistake.

So in comes Jar Jar, a character introduced in episode one solely to put him in a position where such a transfer can happen. Jar Jar become part of the Senatorial staff likely was part of the alliance between the Gungans and a Nabbooans, that a Gungan would be one of their Senators. And since we've seen the Gungans don't want Jar Jar around, it's logically for them to send him there, since they can't banish him again because he's now a hero. So when Padme left he ended up in charge, as thanks to his portrayal in Episode One, it's completely believable to see him conned into handing over complete power to Palpatine.

Granted I still don't like the character, but I do say he, when looked at it in that regard, played an important role in the Saga. The role of the lovable dupe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ He could have still played that role without bogging down TPM though... Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Planet Spacoid, (if you look it up on facebook, you will find it)

Binks sucks eggs, man

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 4 of 4