What EU Book Are You Reading Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^I just read The Truce at Bakura (I've got jury duty, so I've had hours to read, which allowed me to finish Shadows of the Empire and Truce at Bakura this week). I found myself enjoying it much more than the first time I read it. I also had forgotten most of the novel.

I only had one problem with the book - the ending was a bit rushed. It would have been nice for things to breathe a little bit more.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

GrandMaster wrote:
^I just read The Truce at Bakura (I've got jury duty, so I've had hours to read, which allowed me to finish Shadows of the Empire and Truce at Bakura this week). I found myself enjoying it much more than the first time I read it. I also had forgotten most of the novel.

It was a lot more enjoyable the second time around. I enjoyed seeing Gaeriel's character grow throughout the story. Also, I rather liked that "the guy didn't get the girl" where Luke & Gaeriel were concerned.

GrandMaster wrote:
I only had one problem with the book - the ending was a bit rushed. It would have been nice for things to breathe a little bit more.

I agree.

It's almost like the author realized her page/word count was too high and had to wrap up things quickly.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I am hoping that, this afternoon, I will able to start reading Dark Empire for the first time.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm not reading an EU book at this time. I suppose I'm going to go ahead and read A New Dawn when it comes out. I'm not one for re-reading a book unless it's a revised edition with new material. For example, I'm going to get the audio books of The Christ Clone Trilogy because the author made a lot of updates and changes to them since I read them years ago.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The most read Star Wars book for me is The Courtship of Princess Leia. And since it has been so many moons since I've read a Star Wars book, I think I will start on that one again shortly. To remember the good 'ole days. Cool

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I remember the first time I read that. The story was good, but I really just read it because I'd finished the Wraith novels and wanted to see what happened with Zsinj. It was a bit of a disappointment.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm going to rant and rave a bit here, so for those who know my tendency to do so and wish to avoid go ahead and skip, just know its a good rant.

I've experienced a reinvigorated love for the EU. If it has to die, I'm going down in flames with it. Not sure if I'll come back from it but this will be one heck of a last hurrah if I don't.

I'm re-reading FotJ right now (its recent, I like Vestara, etc...). Its still choppy, its still inconsistent, and its still kind of a weird entry that unfortunately references Mortis, but I'm enjoying it. In 2 weeks I've reached the halfway point on book 8 and I'm not slowing down. In fact I plan on working back through Del Rey's published series, so I'll be doing it all backwards. I'll eventually read all my Bantam Spectra books as well and relish in how much I've missed this love.

Star Wars has been a downer for me recently with the destruction of the continuity that they worked so hard on. I've been angry and frustrated knowing that Sword of the Jedi won't come as it could have been the end of the overall story, the final adventure of the big 3 and the full passing of the torch to the younger generation. This was the opportunity and I feel it is being wasted (seeing as how at this point they would have had plenty of time to get the 3 books out while working on the new ones for the new continuity). The idea that there are so many threads left undone has frustrated me and I feel its not classy to not have at least allowed Del Rey to end their story, but I know it was a business decision and while I'm bitter I'm being reined in by having rediscovered my love for this story, its characters, and its scope.

I love it all again, even Waru (we'll see if I still feel that way when I get to reading his novel). I'm engrossed in it again, I've hung 3 of my SW figures on the wall again and plan on introducing a few shelves to set up my Sith lord figures (still need to re-buy a couple so I can open them). This will probably be displayed in the new place I'm moving to, my upcoming roommate and I have considered having a room to be a library/office/nerd room.

People I beg you, if you've been losing love for all this because of the upset of Episode VII and the destruction of the EU then you need to jump back in with both feet. Revel in what we had, love it for all it was, and engage in theoretical discussion with me over what might have been. We know some of us here who know authors, perhaps we should fight to get guest appearances and chats and see if we can thank them and discuss what might have been with them. I know John Jackson Miller jumps on here sometimes and I adored some of his work, its always a pleasure to see him appear (he's like a leprechaun, I always miss when he jumps on but people keep swearing he's real).

I love Star Wars again, and it has been far...far too long since I did like this.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I've been meaning to re-read some EU books for a while now, but I've always found something else to read instead. The EU was my Star Wars fandom. Without it, my fandom simply doesn't exist. How can I be excited about the future of this franchise when the thing that made me a fan in the first place won't be a part of it?

We could always start the on-again-off-again book club with Legacy of the Force once you're done with Fate of the Jedi. LotF is the series I've really been meaning to re-read. I know a lot of you hate it, but it was my intro to the EU and I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
^ I've been meaning to re-read some EU books for a while now, but I've always found something else to read instead. The EU was my Star Wars fandom. Without it, my fandom simply doesn't exist. How can I be excited about the future of this franchise when the thing that made me a fan in the first place won't be a part of it?

We could always start the on-again-off-again book club with Legacy of the Force once you're done with Fate of the Jedi. LotF is the series I've really been meaning to re-read. I know a lot of you hate it, but it was my intro to the EU and I'll always have a soft spot for it.

I'd be up to re-read it right alongside you Reep. In fact I'd be proud. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't my favorite series. It was, however, your introduction and I completely understand your love for it (The Crystal Star was my first EU book and thus it remains my guilty pleasure). If I thought we had enough people I would say lets start with the NJO and do a Del Rey blowthrough of the eras, but I don't know how many people have the time (I currently have a decent amount of time to read but I know others definitely don't).

Let me know if you're feeling it, I'd be up for the read and discussion.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, I'd be up for it. We'll see if anyone else wants to do it and then we can decide whether to go with NJO etc. or LotF.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Caedus, you started with Crystal Star...and kept reading?! Wow! Most people would have become EU haters had CS been the first book they read.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The Courtship of Princess Leia was my first book, hence the nostalgia. Most people don't like it, but it's my favorite book. There's something to be said about that first magical moment you read a Star Wars book.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Caedus: The more I think about it, the more I want to read the NJO. I've never read it in its entirety and I have a job and a credit card now, so buying the books my library doesn't have won't be a problem.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
@Caedus: The more I think about it, the more I want to read the NJO. I've never read it in its entirety and I have a job and a credit card now, so buying the books my library doesn't have won't be a problem.

Check places like Half Price Books. My local one had a good selection of NJO books when I was there last week, and I remember getting 6 or 7 NJO books from my Barnes & Noble used section for $3 each.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:

Grandmaster is right, getting them cheap at this point shouldn't be a problem at all.

@Grandmaster: Your B&N has a used section!?

@Mara: That was one of my first as well, and it also holds a place in my heart for its corniness Smile

@Skywalker2B: I was young and naive, thank god it kept me going!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 143 of 146