What Star Wars Book Are You Reading Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 158, 159, 160  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jumping back and forth between Leia, Princess of Alderaan and Bloodline. Liking both so far.

Spoilers for LPOA

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I finished Fatal Alliance last week, and Sunday I started reading SWTOR: Annihilation (which I had never read before). It didn't take long for me to get halfway through it. I'm enjoying it a lot!

I also just picked up Phasma, Leia, Princess of Alderaan, and Rebel Rising (the first two were on sale).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm going to start Rebel Rising tomorrow.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Once I'm done by SWTOR read-through (all I have left is half of Annihilation and finishing watching some LPs of Knights of the Fallen Empire and Knights of the Eternal Throne), then I'm going back to some New Canon books. I want to try to alternate reading the new stuff with my chronological readthrough of Legends.

Tentative timeline for the next few subjects:
-Canon: Books 2 and 3 of Aftermath Trilogy
-Canon: Bloodline
-Legends: Lost Tribe of the Sith (entire series + comic)
-Legends: Knight Errant (issues 1-5, novel, issues 6-15)
-Canon: Rogue One material (Catalyst, Rebel Rising, novelization)
-Legends: Darth Bane trilogy + Jedi vs. Sith
-Canon: Battlefront novels
-Legends: Episode I prelude, 1 of 3 (Jedi: The Dark Side, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, Jedi Council: Acts of War, Republic 1-6, Cloak of Deception novel, Galactic Battlegrounds first campaign)
-Legends: Episode I prelude, 2 of 3 (Darth Maul novels and comics)
-Legends: Episode I prelude, 3 of 3 (Darth Plagueis)
-Legends: Episode I tie-ins (movie, novel, comic, tie-in comics, Galactic Battlegrounds campaigns 2 and 3)

And then we go on to post-Episode I stuff, which is a bit smoother. I may also intermix other canon novels, like Leia, Phasma, the Episode 8 (and 7) novelizations), etc. I'm also still slowly working on watching The Clone Wars, and once it's done I'll want to read Dark Disciple and Ahsoka.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I'm going to start Rebel Rising tomorrow.

Really good book that fleshed out Jyn in a very strong light!

I've moved into Phasma! It's...... Different.... but I'm early still.

And when I say read, I mean Audible on the drive home. I honestly crush more SW EU this way then I ever did in my prime of reading.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just finished The Old Republic: Annihilation. Action-packed and exciting. One of the better SWTOR books (especially given the characters are actually in the game, and the events of the book are referenced in subsequent expansions.

Next (started last night): Aftermath: Life Debt. First impressions: I really don't like Norra Wexley. She abandoned her family to fight for the Rebels, and now is surprised by how messed up her son is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote  

Finished Phasma. I liked it. Reading Leia: Princess of Alderaan now.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm about a third of the way through Rebel Rising. I'm enjoying it for the most part, but my biggest complaint is with the plot. There just doesn't seem to be much of one. It just feels like a string of events.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So I decided to write out the reading order for my Star Wars Legends Readthrough.

http://taralbooks.blogspot.ca/2017/10/my-star-wars-reading-order.html

It is very long. This will take me years, but it will be fun. I've interspersed New Canon stories, so I can catch up (and then keep up) with new releases. So I'm currently working on the Aftermath trilogy.

FYI, I also just posted my analysis of SWTOR stories (which I shared on the SWTOR thread).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote  

With Rebel Rising, it is more of a Jyn bio than a story with a single plotline. But it does explain a lot about her character in the movie. There's tons of character development.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Battlefront II: Inferno Squad. Slowly but steadily plowing through it since it came in the mail last Friday, two chapters every day. Liking it so far. Can't help feeling sorry for Iden at times since her father is so cold to her. Hope to have it finished by next Friday. After it's finished, going to restart Thrawn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Aftermath: Life Debt a few nights ago. Close to halfway through Empire's End now. Really enjoying it.

I love the characters of Sinjir and Jas, and I find Rae Sloane to be a great antagonist, especially in Empire's End as she (below)

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I just read a great chapter about Mr. Bones. I know a lot of people didn't like him, but I think he's great. Good comic relief.

I still don't like Norra Wexley. On multiple occasions she's abandoned family for the Rebel cause. I don't care how strongly you believe in your cause, you never abandon your child for it. She's done it at least twice now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Rebel Rising.

Darth Skuldren wrote:
With Rebel Rising, it is more of a Jyn bio than a story with a single plotline. But it does explain a lot about her character in the movie. There's tons of character development.

That's true. I don't know if you can judge this book by the usual standards I would judge a book by. It's a prequel of a prequel and is the definition of "supplemental material". It did what it was trying to do. While failing as a standalone novel, it succeeded in adding depth to Rogue One and its main character.

I did warm up to it after a while, but I thought Jyn's change of heart at the end after sinking to the depths of despair a few pages before was a little abrupt. She seems ready to believe in the Rebellion at the end when she meets Mon Mothma, but I don't get the sense in the film that Jyn is there at that point. She's only there because she has to be.

If I had to guess that scene was there to give the title meaning. Without that tacked on scene at the end, this book would be titled more appropriately as Apathy Rising, but I'm guessing that wouldn't fly off the shelves. Razz

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just finished Aftermath: Empire's End. Also re-read the Shattered Empire comic.

I loved it. I really like what Chuck Wendig did with the post-ROTJ EU. I would like him to come back.

Full analysis here: http://taralbooks.blogspot.ca/2017/10/star-wars-new-canon-aftermath-tying.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I know it's been out for a while now, but I am now listening (Audible) to Leia, Princess of Alderaan. I'm on chapter 17 and can say that I really like Claudia Grey's SW books!

Unfortunately, though, the scene with a certain Moff around chapter 12 or 13 makes my story idea for Padme/Leia not work. *shrug* Oh, well. I suppose Leia's line in RotJ will continue to be a continuity error IMHO.

Anywho...looking forward to the rest of this book. Not planning on any more SW books until Thrawn: Alliances next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 159 of 160