Ahsoka by e.K. Johnston

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahsoka by e.K. Johnston
 PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Ahsoka novel by E.K. Johnston

[someone insert the cover art here]

Can't wait for this one! It's supposed to take place sometime around the end of, or after, the Clone War. My guess, and hope, is that it'll start with the Siege of Mandalore and end a little after she becomes Fulcrum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:05 am Reply with quote  

I'm a good 2/3 of the way through so far. I wouldn't call this one a YA novel as I think it skews just a little bit lower in more of the young reader novel area. I could see this one being targeted at 10 to 12 year olds. It does focus primarily on Ahsoka, however there are a few times when it switches perspectives to a different character. Most of the story takes place during a certain time period set between ROTS and Star Wars Rebels. I think it's one or two years after ROTS because Ahsoka mentions something about Empire Day in the beginning. There are some flashbacks, but they're brief interludes.

Right now my biggest gripes would be not getting the "Luceno" treatment for Ahsoka, ie. something like the Darth Plagueis novel where we get Ahsoka's full story between TCW and SWR, and then the other complaint would be that the reading level is just a bit too simple.

However, it was branded as a YA novel, it is being put out by Disney Lucasfilm Publishing, and it is starring a character from a kids show, so I guess the book we got makes sense. Rather than satisfying my Ahsoka needs, though, it just makes me want more. I think Del Rey would be wise to do a follow up with one of their authors to really explore this area of Ahsoka's life.

Assuming they'd let Del Rey. Cause if they're not going to give us a book on this, I'd easily go for a full on animated show starring Ahsoka.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote  

Finished Ahsoka. On the one hand, it could have been oh so much better if written by a different writer. On the other hand, I'll take any Ahsoka book we get. It's ok book, an enjoyable read, but it's not great or outstanding.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

What didn't you like about it, Skuls?

Really, the book had to accomplish 3 things:
1) Explain how Ahsoka became Fulcrum
2) Tie in her Clone Wars history for the beginners (c'est moi)
3) Have a believable yet fun plot

It did all these things but not with much grace. I don't know if it was age difference between me and the intended reader, but the story was too predictable. Besides Ahsoka, no character felt like a real person, more like a mechanical cog set into place to propel on her next stage in the saga. What kept me reading was Ahsoka and her bubbly warmth. So much story potential was there. I hope they can bring snippy dialogue and believable characters next time around.

Skuldren wrote:
On the one hand, it could have been oh so much better if written by a different writer.

YES! A first person novel titled I, Ex-Jedi by Michael Stackpole.

Beard lovin' Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1