20 New Star Wars books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
20 New Star Wars books
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Per this article: http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2015/03/10/20-new-star-wars-books-will-pave-the-way-to-the-force-awakens/

Interesting titles there. In particular I'm looking forward to The Force Awakens tie-in books.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote  

More than twenty books, including two new Marvel comic titles, and the big news, an adult Del Rey novel called Aftermath. No author revealed yet, though. Hopefully they'll be able to reveal more at Celebration.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:42 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

On the one hand, this annoys me just like everything else that has happened with the continuity switch. On the other...I'll admit I'm interested. I'm such a sucker.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote  

Okay, I can't help but speculate. With Aftermath probably coming out in September, that means they have time to do another release in November or December, the novelization for The Force Awakens. Which means they've got two author slots open. I doubt they'll use any of the authors who have already written a canon book. Part of me is hoping Zahn gets a shot at one of those books, and part of me is hoping Denning gets a shot at the other one, cause I don't think Stover is going to be brought back.

As much as I'd love to see Stover do the novelization again, he doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of writing lately. It's been awhile since he's written a book (be it Star Wars or not Star Wars). And I think it would be a huge nod to the fans to bring Zahn in for the novelization. He has been doing some other books recently, but I think he could still have time to do this one as well.

I think Aftermath might be a toss up between Karpyshyn and Denning. Though they could always bring in some new people.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'd be happy to see Zahn back, but I don't think he'd do the novelization. For some reason I recall reading that he's not into doing novelizations. Though I may be conflating him with another author.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The only author I've really seen do justice to a novelization was Stover. So I'm all for having him back. Zahn is amazing, but only with his own work. I don't usually like his style when working with something already created.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
The only author I've really seen do justice to a novelization was Stover. So I'm all for having him back. Zahn is amazing, but only with his own work. I don't usually like his style when working with something already created.

Agreed. And Zahn's recent stuff wasn't very good. I think fandom holds him in high regard because of how good The Thrawn Trilogy was and how it essentially created the EU we know and love, but Allegiance was meh and it's sequel was awful.

I'd rather they aim for a completely new crop of authors. I noticed Greg Rucka's name on the list and he's great (he recently did the first arc of current Cyclops series).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

What? Greg Rucka is writing a star wars book? I completely change my mind and bow before our Disney masters.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Not much more talk about this here since we've gotten a little more info. Looks the like books we'll most likely be interested in is the Aftermath trilogy and the Marvel comics. Looks like the rest of those books will all be set in the OT.

I can understand why they are still setting books in the OT. And especially since they are young reader books. They need to get younger (around teenage to early twenties) into the OT era to be ready to receive the ST era stuff. They're working on getting the younger kids into SW via Rebels. For us older established fans, we get the Aftermath trilogy and comics.

One thing I think I remember reading from someone at either DelRey or Lucasfilm is that they don't want to keep using the same authors as we had with the EU. They're going after new authors. That worries me a little because I think they're going after authors that are unfamiliar with the EU (as evidenced by the Leia, Han, and now Luke books that aren't all that great). Those authors were chosen because they didn't know much more than the movies. I really hope that isn't the case with the Aftermath trilogy authors.

Oh, and now that we know that it's a trilogy, my guess...Aftermath in Sept, book 2 in Oct, and book 3 in Nov. I'm betting that they won't release the TFA novelization until Dec.18. Personally, I'd rather that they give it a week before release, even though we know that there will be AR versions about a month before.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1