'Thrawn' by Timothy Zahn
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
'Thrawn' by Timothy Zahn
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote  

Revealed at the Star Wars Rebels panel at Star Wars Celebration Europe, Timothy Zahn is writing a new novel called Thrawn. It will be out April 2017. Here's the cover.

Thrawn will also be appearing in season 3 of Star Wars Rebels. So cool.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yup. I'm reading this.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Slap me! Is this real!!?

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:25 am Reply with quote  

Completely real. I loved how at the panel they showed a video of the Star Wars Rebel team collaborating with Timothy Zahn. That level of commitment and caring is awesome.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've said it since day one: "In Dave we trust!" This guy has always gotten what it means to be a SW fan. He knew what they did to the EU had to happen, but he's got us covered....... KK too, it's natural and risky at the same time to bring back these old EU people..... The bandade was ripped off they could have left us by now..... But took just enough time to show ALL things SW is theirs now to decide... But Now that you minions get it....... Here's your authors back..... Play nicely...... Lol

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Whaaaat?! I thought I didn't care about Star Wars going forward. But this shall be mine!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote  

FYI - This will be a prequel story to the events unfolding in Star Wars Rebels Season 3.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't care about this. It's dumb. Why cut him out only to bring him back?

Without Heir To The Empire, having Thrawn as some random Admiral during the Dark Times adds nothing that wouldn't be exactly the same with a new random character.

and Outbound Flight is still non canon for reasons? I don't blame Zahn at all, he's a good guy, but he still gets a raw deal.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I dunno on that. We haven't seen what they're doing with Thrawn in this new canon, we don't know if he'll just be a new character with the same name or if they'll keep him as he was but since Zahn is writing I have to think there's a reason. No one else has ever written the character, no one else really got him. So they brought back the person who kind of has a monopoly on the character to write his new introduction to the nuEU. I have to think that's significant.

And why not be excited about it? We know literally nothing about what they'll do with the character, it's way too early to be saying they're going to completely change him or water him down. Let's see what they do before we get mad at it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Without Heir To The Empire, having Thrawn as some random Admiral during the Dark Times adds nothing that wouldn't be exactly the same with a new random character.

Well...now I'm sad. You're right, I forget the rest of Thrawn's story is no longer canon. Now it almost seems cruel! But I'll hold out hope...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

We all knew that if they brought back any EU characters that there would be changes. There was no way that they'd just say "Ok, the Thrawn trilogy is now canon". It just wouldn't work. That being said, in the case of Thrawn...

Yes, he's being introduced pre-ANH vice post-RotJ, but, from what we've seen and heard so far, it looks like he is still the Thrawn that we know and love. His demeanor is the same, his studying his enemies via their culture and art is still there.

And, it could be possible that he could end up leading a small fleet of Star Destroyers to some remote area before, or during, Rogue One and could reappear post-Aftermath. Who knows, he could even be some leader of the First Order.

Oh! I just had a thought! Could Snoke be some form of C'baoth?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skywalker2B wrote:
Yes, he's being introduced pre-ANH vice post-RotJ, but, from what we've seen and heard so far, it looks like he is still the Thrawn that we know and love. His demeanor is the same, his studying his enemies via their culture and art is still there.

That's the way I look it. He's Thrawn - just in a different set of circumstances. If he's active in fighting the Rebellion before ANH, there's a very good chance that the Emperor's hasn't sent him off into the Unknown Regions. I liked that element, but it isn't crucial imo. He has the look, he has the strategical brilliance, and he has the art appreciation. Those were the main things for me.

That, and I hope they don't make him too villainous. In the books Thrawn is with the Empire so he's the antagonist, but I don't remember anything about his character that is inherently evil. He didn't just callously kill people like Vader did.

Also I wonder if this means we'll see Pellaeon and the Chimaera also? Not to be greedy or anything. Razz

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Anyone read the recent synopsis for Thrawn?

I'm actually guessing it might be possible to slot this into the "Legends" timeline without it overriding anything Thrawn connected in that TL following it except when he was promoted to Grand Admiral (before ANH in Canon ? versus between ANH and ROTJ ? in "Legends"). IIRC, the only piece of "Legends" material mentioning when he was promoted was the Tie Fighter video game, but I don't do VGs, so ...

definitely will be getting this in April.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

From what I've read, Zahn is writing it, so there is a very good probability that a lot of Thrawn's backstory will be brought over to canon. I think the short story from Legends was titled "First Contact" where Thrawn (Mith'something'something) first encounters the Empire. I think a lot of that will be retained.

We already know that they kept the name of his ISD. And, there is still the idea out there that at some point in Rebels Thrawn will be sent on a mission to the unknown region or something so that he could return post-RotJ. That, too, would be re-canonizing Legends material.

With Pablo and Filoni on the Story Group, I think we can expect to see more and more Legends stuff re-canonized.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That would be cool if they managed to have this book mesh with both the EU (still not calling it Legends Razz ) and the new canon.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2